Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops

green papaya

One Too Many
no I didnt need a haircut, I just happened to be walking by, and I wanted to check to see if it was still there.

I think most of his customers are eldery Chinese men that live in the neighborhood.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hmmm. I have a good old fashioned barber in Berkeley now, complete with striped pole. He is only 15 bucks plus tip. But if I'm in Chinatown, I'll check that out. It's a great price. However, sometimes I have difficulty understanding the accents I hear in Chinatown and it becomes devastatingly difficult to negotiate even something as simple as 'taper back the sides down to a number zero and leave the top long so I can slick it back' when there are communication difficulties.

green papaya

One Too Many
Doran said:
Hmmm. I have a good old fashioned barber in Berkeley now, complete with striped pole. He is only 15 bucks plus tip. But if I'm in Chinatown, I'll check that out. It's a great price. However, sometimes I have difficulty understanding the accents I hear in Chinatown and it becomes devastatingly difficult to negotiate even something as simple as 'taper back the sides down to a number zero and leave the top long so I can slick it back' when there are communication difficulties.

they usually have charts on the wall with different types of hair cuts
or you could show them your own photo how you like it cut.

Dr Doran

green papaya said:
they usually have charts on the wall with different types of hair cuts
or you could show them your own photo how you like it cut.

Some do, some don't. I could always take a picture of my hair when it is done right and show that to them, though. Thanks for the idea.

Captain

New in Town
Thanks everyone! I needed an answer in a hurry and I knew I could count on this board.

I'm not really interested in the appearance or location of a place, I just want someone that can do a good vintage cut. I shall check these places out!

Vintage Betty

Here's a tip Captain

Don't call it San Fran - that labels you as a tourist.

The locals always say the full name San Francisco. It's a sign of respect.

Vintage Betty
Born in San Francisco

Bebop

Practically Family
Nothing wrong with being labled a tourist. Being a San Franciscan, I am pretty sick and tired of the "Don't call it Frisco" attitude we have. That is why a lot of people think we in S.F. are a bunch of wacky pri-madonas. Just come here and spend your money. Call it whatever you want to call it.

Dr Doran

Vintage Betty said:
Don't call it San Fran - that labels you as a tourist.

The locals always say the full name San Francisco. It's a sign of respect.

Vintage Betty
Born in San Francisco

I deserve to give my 2 cents here.
The inhabitants of San Francisco (most of whom have lived there for 4 years tops) usually (pretentiously) call it "the City." I lived there for a decade, before that 2 years in Mountainview/Palo Alto/Menlo Park and after that decade, I have lived in Berkeley for a good 6 years. So I am not a native, but close. I have never called it "the City" because to me that sounds a little too Act Up.

I have called it "SF" the entire time. Ess Eff. No one gave me a hard time.

Captain

New in Town
BEBOP: Thanks for your recommendation, Mate. I dropped in today and got a great cut (although I think I was lucky with who I got, some of the barbers there looked...dodgy).

LADY DAY: I looked around for yours but couldn't find it in the area you mentioned. It sounded great though.

Thanks again, Everyone.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well Ive lived here for a time, and a lot of folks that live here that I know call it 'the city'. I of course in type call it the 'citay'. :)

:D

Bebop

Practically Family
Captain, welcome to San Francisco. I hope you have a great time while here. At this time of year, you can't beat the weather. I'm glad the barber shop worked out.

kbadr

Familiar Face
Straight Razor Shave -- Do I tip?

Today I am using a gift certificate for a straight razor shave that I got for Xmas. I've never gotten a shave at a barber before. Am I expected to tip? The shave costs $25. I was thinking I'd just bring a $5 just in case. Is that appropriate?

Feraud

Bartender
5 bucks is fine.
Is the total cost of the shave is paid for by the gift certificate? If so I would tip higher since the shave will only cost you the tip. The barber will appreciate it.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Give him the tip 'beforehand!'

Just in case there's a pie shop next door and his name's Mister Todd :eek:

So are you going anywhere special 'afterwards' to show off that clean shaven look?:)

kbadr

Familiar Face
Nope. Nowhere special at all, actually. I'm coming back to work. And today is the first Thursday in a year that I haven't had a show.

But really, I'm using it now because I want to grow my beard back (got rid of it 2 weeks ago) so the sooner I use it, the sooner I can start growing it back.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
$5 is fine

20% is my standard tip for solid sevice. Excellent service will garner more, indifferent or incompetent sevice less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner