Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bath or Shower

Bath or shower...?

• Baths all the way!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Showers are it!

• Mostly baths but sometimes showers

• Mostly showers but a bath every blue moon

• Total voters

tuppence

Practically Family
once a week

When my mother was a child in the 50's she only had one bath a week that she shared with her sisters.
Even in summer when it can get very hot.
Apparently this was very common.

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
My house is over 100 years old and the bathroom is classic 1950s. I LOVE to soak in the tub. Sometimes bubbles, sometimes epsom salts, baking soda.. whatever I'm in the mood for. A bath is like a huge cup of tea to me. Relaxing and settling - especially after a crazy day : )

Lillemor

One Too Many
We don't have a tub. Baths aren't optional here and most post 70s houses don't have tubs and those that have tubs, have often had the tubs replaced with new "smart" shower stalls.:rolleyes: I regularly complain about the lack of a tub in our house!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Shower. ALL THE TIME. Philly water = yuck. I even feel kind of gross showering in it. And our pipes are about 80 years old, too. The water comes out of the bath spout all greyish. I'll pass.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Audrey Horne said:
Shower for sure. My bathtub is rather small and I seem to remember the water always getting cold when I took baths as a child.

I can remmeber the water getting cold, but it was from playing barbies for too long in the tub. I would drain a little water and add more hot.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Baths, no question! I equate showers with rushing to get somewhere and baths with time to soak and read. Also, I enjoy using bubble bath and such, which one obviously cannot use in the shower. I grew up with an old cast iron footed tub and I can't wait for the day when I have one again.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Last night I had to take a bath instead of a shower to keep the dressing on my foot dry.

Pros:
It kept the dressing dry.
It used less water than a shower.
I didn't have to squeegee and dry the tile and shower door.
It was fast.

Cons:
Brrrr!
I didn't get very clean. :eek:

Emer

One of the Regulars
Baths are my luxury in a failing economy! lol Right now I'm hooked on Johnson & Johnson's Lavender Baby Oil; sprinkle some in the water and just soak. I've actually stopped using perfume during the day because the oil smells so light a heavenly on my skin.

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
I must say I'm a regular bath girl...nightly in fact! I do not shower anymore. I find that if I shower, I never take a quick one, and I actually save water by taking a bath. Besides, there is nothing quite like sitting back and relaxing in a tub at night versus standing up, yawning, in the wee hours of the morning to get to work on time. I could shower at night, but I'd much rather recline and read in the evening hours. I do admit though that it takes me longer to wake up in the morning than it did when I showered in the AM.

Lorena B

Practically Family
Shower for when you are in a hurry.
Bath when you have plenty of time ahead so you can relax and use those nice bath salts...
I love taking a bath but I always end it up in the shower for extra cleaningness

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paisley said:

Cons:
Brrrr!
I didn't get very clean. :eek:
This is odd to me because I never feel like a shower gets warm enough - I end up like the planet Mercury, boiling on one side and freezing in the other. And I never feel as clean as I don't sweat the way I do in a hot bath.

And I hate not having a big enough tub to get in! If we are lucky this will be the year we gut and redo the bathroom (I have a long clawfoot tub in the backyard waiting!).

:eek:fftopic: Hope the foot gets better soon, Paisley, I know you like to dance so that must be a drag!

CheshireKat

New in Town
* Daily: "Navy showers" or "stand-up washes" - they're quick and get you just as clean as anything else is likely to :)

* Daily: Dry brushing first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Haven't done this over the past couple of weeks as I was ill, but it really makes my skin smooth (does wonders for the elbows) and gets rid of an enormous amount of dead skin.

* Once in a blue moon: Soak. Takes ages. Next day, use the water on the garden (we are careful about the soap we use, so this is not an issue). Actually, when was the last time I soaked??

I never get in the bath without dry brushing and a stand-up wash or shower first. For me, it's about soaking, not a place to get clean.

As to hair removal, when I can be bothered to do it, I use an epilator (this one: Emjoi Optima), which I find easy and gives long-lasting results, and I am lazy. lol

Heather

Practically Family
Bath time!

I apologize if this has already been covered. I did a search but didn't come up with much! I've decided that I'm going to make an effort to take more baths! What better time to start then fall and winter? ;) Anyways, I was wondering if any of you ladies put anything vintage-esque in your bathwater. Seas salt? Milk? Bubbles? I'm entriqued at the benefits from sea salts and milk. I can't help but think of the luxury something like those may have been for women of wartime!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Guessing that...

...You probably didn't mean for this to be in classifieds, Heather? Moving it to Beauty, and merging it with the big bath thread there.

GibsonGirl

New in Town
Heather said:
I apologize if this has already been covered. I did a search but didn't come up with much! I've decided that I'm going to make an effort to take more baths! What better time to start then fall and winter? ;) Anyways, I was wondering if any of you ladies put anything vintage-esque in your bathwater. Seas salt? Milk? Bubbles? I'm entriqued at the benefits from sea salts and milk. I can't help but think of the luxury something like those may have been for women of wartime!

I go through phases where I favor one over the other. In winter I tend to take more baths to warm up and relax myself before bed where in the summer I tend to prefer cool showers to fight the humidity and heat.

I live in an extremely old apartment building with a beautiful antique claw-footed bathtub, so I love to indulge in a bath whenever I find the time. Queen Helene makes wonderful Lavender bath salts that are very soothing on sore muscles and are a great price to boot! http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=79227&catid=50353 The only problem I find with them is that they can be a little TOO scented for my taste and it's more of an herbal/medicinal Lavender scent than a floral one.

I used to make the most wonderful bath mixture with powdered milk and epsom salts and other lovely ingredients... unfortunately my book with the recipe written in it is at my mother's house in AZ... I'll try to remember to bring it back with me when i visit her in Oct.

I also dribble oils in the bath: coconut, olive, jojoba, whatever I fancy, and slather myself in Trader Joe's Tangerine Sugar scrub (it's not vintage, but it's all natural ingredients). I'm on a mission to find a gentle bubble bath that I can use that doesn't dry out my skin too much. Perhaps someday I'll find the perfect one.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I had my annual bath at the Queen Mary last weekend.

I always make it a point to take a bath when I stay there. The original rooms have gloriously large tubs, where you do not even have to bend your legs at all to recline.

I swear, next year I shall remember the bath bubbles or a bath bomb from Lush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR