Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beater joy

So, last night the wife and I took the kids to see "The Hunger Games". It was a 12:30 showing and was cold out so I had on a thick Carhartt denim/flannel shirt. It's too much to fit under my A-2's, so I pulled out the USWings cowhide A-2. It's cut a lil' bigger and I have to say, I still love that jacket! It's not true like the Aero's but something about it is really fun to wear. The hide is awesome, and it's very cozy for a 2.5 hour theater run. Plus, no worries about it getting lost, damaged, etc. Just thought I'd share. I figured I'd be too jaded to enjoy it, but that's not the case. Expensive repros aren't always better :)

Fifty150

One Too Many
It is nice to be able to layer clothing under your jacket, and to be able to move your arms. That's why I still can't get used jackets being tight fitting.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You make a good point Butte. There's real democratic pleasure in a solid factory made jacket too. I am really enjoying my G&B Raider in black goat. It's just a brilliantly made cvilian beater, worn by a happy civilian.

Yep. Even though my tastes "evolved", I still liked those jackets for some reason. Glad I'm not so jaded that
I can't enjoy my civi leather. :)

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Putting your old Kelso to daily use Butte. The cut and fit on fit is really good, the best A2 I've owned by far. I can wear it with or without a sweatshirt under and while it looks good enough to get compliments from my vintage collector friends I don't have to worry about it when I'm knocking around the workshop.

Obviously any of the top makers could have put together one that would fit as well and look even better as far as details go but my mind set is defiantly different with this one.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
JohnnyCapeHenlopen11March2012.jpg

I bought his beater at a thrift shop, same day I bought a N3B in mint condition. The A-2 was first purchased at The Gap. It has ared nylon lining with a small cloth advertisement for the B-17, It was 9.00.....
here is the 1958/59ish N3B:
IMG_1663.jpg

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I have a Charles Chevignon "Old flight jacket" that is as old as I am and its nice to have a jacket that you dont care too much about and can use for everything. Its beaten and used to the part of disintegrating :D

It's funny huh? I do beat my good jackets now, but something freeing about a cheapo jacket. Maybe it's my roots taking over, but my family was about as po' as po' can be only as far back as my grandparents. We've come a long way, but maybe my genes know my expensive jackets are out of my upbringing. Jacket guilt? lol

Yeah, I think my grandparents would either turn over in their graves or be proud of us. Not sure which, but I'd understand both. My paternal grandmother was a hoot. She used to ask me if my newest car/motorcycle had "good pick up". I'd always fall for it and say "yeah, it's fast". She'd reply "no, does it pick up girls". She was awesome,many probably would like these things too.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Capt Cave I saw a LL Bean in Russett goat that Rocked. It is in a local Army Navy store. awesome jacket but a 42 ugh....
They have a rack of AF issue A-2s. I picked one out and will go back for it this week....
LL Bean sells a good A-2 however makes it.....
Butte is you USW G1 goat or lamb?
The local Wilsons Outlet is selling a few Cockpit G-1s in Lamb with VMF 214 patches... kinda cool
BTW sounds like your grandmother was well grounded.....

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Love the Flight Apparel Dean,

I sold mine to a buddy, but it always just felt right. nothing fancy, or expensive just right. Paid $80.00 for it, had to fix a few broken stitches, and it was good to go.
My everyday beater is a current spec goat Cockpit. It's a bit baggy, has hand warmer pockets, and interior pockets, but it was only a couple hundred bucks and I wear it as my daily work jacket.
It's bean under ground in a silver mine, off shore on oil platforms, and in just about every type of factory you think of. It keeps getting better looking every day.

Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24