Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Daan

Vendor
Late 1920s Berlin
(Notice the photographer to the speaker's left.)

View attachment 83812

The speaker is Ernst Thälmann, leader of the German Communist Party during the later years of the Weimar Republic, a hardcore Stalinist, and a former Hamburg dock worker and stoker.

His preferred head wear was a fisherman's cap, typical of his native Hamburg.

View attachment 83813

Great photo, GrayEyes. Thälmann certainly wasn't a boinero, but of course, many of the Thälmann Kolonne (the German column of Brigadistas named after him, during the Spanish Civil War) did.
upload_2017-8-29_8-57-54.png

Below, Adolphe Low (standing) with fellow members of the Edgar André Battalion, named after the German Communist leader who had been beheaded by the Nazis in Hamburg in 1936.
upload_2017-8-29_8-53-50.png

Pictured here is Ludwig Renn (himself wearing a peaked cap); author, Saxon nobleman and a committed communist in the company of Dutch film maker Joris Ivens and Ernest Hemingway (1937):
upload_2017-8-29_8-41-43.png

GrayEyes

Familiar Face
Great photo, GrayEyes. Thälmann certainly wasn't a boinero, but of course, many of the Thälmann Kolonne (the German column of Brigadistas named after him, during the Spanish Civil War) did.
View attachment 83866

As Daan's photo of the Thälmann Monument indicates, many German Brigadistas settled in communist East Germany after World War II. In fact, the history of left-wing German veterans of the Spanish Civil War is interesting and controversial. The East German state wanted to idolize them and to use their story for political purposes, but not accept the idealism and freedom that originally captivated these brave boineros. Needless to say, there is a book on this topic, too: Antifascism and Memory in East Germany: Remembering the International Brigades 1945-1989 by Josie McLellan.

Unfortunately, it costs GBP 122.50!!! (Nearly USD 200.) For that kind of money, I say buy several berets and check out a library copy of the book.

Daan

Vendor
As Daan's photo of the Thälmann Monument indicates, many German Brigadistas settled in communist East Germany after World War II. In fact, the history of left-wing German veterans of the Spanish Civil War is interesting and controversial. The East German state wanted to idolize them and to use their story for political purposes, but not accept the idealism and freedom that originally captivated these brave boineros. Needless to say, there is a book on this topic, too: Antifascism and Memory in East Germany: Remembering the International Brigades 1945-1989 by Josie McLellan.

Unfortunately, it costs GBP 122.50!!! (Nearly USD 200.) For that kind of money, I say buy several berets and check out a library copy of the book.

I recall one 'Berets, Anyone' visitor commenting he'd get himself in the poorhouse, buying too many berets. Your book recommendations are having the same effect on me...
Just bought my copy through Abebooks @ $52.00 (and there are more copies around that price).
Thanks GreyEyes.

Daan

Vendor
A Short Lesson in Fake Vintage Berets
Some vintage berets are worth big money; typically WWI Chasseur Alpin berets, Basque berets from the Interbellum period and military models used during WWII. With both collectors and reenactors looking for the few remaining available models, it is easy to find a fake at an astronomical cost.
upload_2017-8-31_12-47-35.png
upload_2017-8-31_12-47-47.png

On this forum of French WWII enthusiasts, I found detailed instructions on how to change a cheap Chinese made Basque beret, or (better) a Belgian ex-army khaki coloured beret, into a "genuine" brown beret as worn by the Régiment d'Infanterie de Forteresse (RIF), the famous Maginot Line that was meant to stop the Germans invading France. Mind you: a "real" Maginot beret can fetch over $500.00.
upload_2017-8-31_12-49-5.png
upload_2017-8-31_12-49-17.png

The first step is to remove the cabillou (if it is a Basque beret) and remove all lining, headband and labels (see above).
Then die the beret in the correct shade of brown and cut out the material for the white cotton lining (best to find a genuine French army coat and rip out it's lining that is made of the same material - cheap and easy to find in French army surplus stores).
upload_2017-8-31_12-50-35.png
upload_2017-8-31_12-50-45.png

Fit the lining and place the correct stamps (the letters 'Rif'). These stamps are easy to make yourself by cutting them from a potato!
upload_2017-8-31_12-52-47.png
upload_2017-8-31_12-52-55.png

Fit the badge (readily available, genuine and fake, through sites like Ebay) and voila, your genuine Ligne Maginot béret is ready!
Great for reenactors, but it just shows how careful one should be, buying vintage over the internet...

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
I am not missing any point, i fully understand what was written, , my statement stands, but any true beret lover and collector could easily spot a fake, , i am not a collector, (but i could spot cheap wool berets), if i was a collector i would research anyway, and eBay/paypal if used has a fantastic return policy and scam report level,

as far as easy i don't think the "average joe" could pull it off, it does take a level of talent, and research to pull this off, it is not that easy to sew a liner on a beret within the wool without it , the threads, showing up outside---the ink not running on the cloth , aged cloth, the smell of old wool, and i bet that stamp set cost a few bucks ------not so easy,,,,, a lot of time and trouble, but thats what liars and thiefs are good at, right

Last edited:

RJR

I am not missing any point, i fully understand what was written, , my statement stands, but any true beret lover and collector could easily spot a fake, , i am not a collector, (but i could spot cheap wool berets), if i was a collector i would research anyway, and eBay/paypal if used has a fantastic return policy and scam report level,

as far as easy i don't think the "average joe" could pull it off, it does take a level of talent, and research to pull this off, it is not that easy to sew a liner on a beret within the wool without it , the threads, showing up outside---the ink not running on the cloth , aged cloth, the smell of old wool, and i bet that stamp set cost a few bucks ------not so easy,,,,, a lot of time and trouble, but thats what liars and thiefs are good at, right
+1

A little help with evaluating three berets my wife dug out of her old clothes. I don't wear this style so if they are something special, they need to go to a good home. They came from her grandmother, and were probably purchased here in the US during the 50s and 60s. I would like to put them in the classified section but I am totally ignorant of their vintage value.

Beret de Luxe label black.jpg

Beret De Luxe, black wool probably 7 1/8th

Grand Mere 1952 label.jpg

Grand me're 1952, made in Quebec. This one seems to be more of a high quality than the others.

Genuine French Beret label.jpg

Genuine Basque Beret, Only a small mfg tag glued into the liner.

Help! I'm totally lost on these and don't really want to go Ebay if they would be desired by a fellow lounger.

NoHorse

One of the Regulars
Redfokker,

What is the diameter (in inches) of the Beret DeLuxe? And, you write that it is black wool, yet the photo shows it as being a dark brown. Could you check the color in sunlight?

Thanks

RJR

A little help with evaluating three berets my wife dug out of her old clothes. I don't wear this style so if they are something special, they need to go to a good home. They came from her grandmother, and were probably purchased here in the US during the 50s and 60s. I would like to put them in the classified section but I am totally ignorant of their vintage value.

View attachment 84893
Beret De Luxe, black wool probably 7 1/8th

View attachment 84894

Grand me're 1952, made in Quebec. This one seems to be more of a high quality than the others.

View attachment 84895

Genuine Basque Beret, Only a small mfg tag glued into the liner.

Help! I'm totally lost on these and don't really want to go Ebay if they would be desired by a fellow lounger.
I hope Daan (SPB) will see this and help out.

Redfokker,

What is the diameter (in inches) of the Beret DeLuxe? And, you write that it is black wool, yet the photo shows it as being a dark brown. Could you check the color in sunlight?

Thanks
This beret is indeed a very dark brown. I put it under a color corrected light and the brown tones showed. The overall diameter is 10 1/4". The size is probably similar to the 7 1/8 red as they all fit her grandmother. I dont know if it has shrunk over it's life, but the opening is 6 1/4" (stretchy) Thanks friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner