Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Daan

Vendor
On SPECIAL this week, the super luxurious Aotearoa Grand Foulards!
17759655_1468576319860370_3682677915754869664_n.jpg

The Grand Foulard Alpin, or "Tarte", is the ultimate beret, though not for the faint hearted. The "Tarte" was developed for the French army Régiment d'Infanterie de Montagne (or Chasseurs Alpins / Alpine Hunters), in 1888. These mountain infanterists needed a headgear to protect them from the weather, both the sun and snow of the high mountains; a hat that kept them warm; that didn't blow off while skiing downhill and was large enough to keep the body protected from rain and snow while standing still on sentry duty. The wearers of the "Tarte" soon built up a reputation of bravery and recklessness, earning them the nickname of les Diables Bleu (Blue Devils).
Coincidentally, these were the first officially issued military berets, the black berets of the British Royal Armoured Corps were modelled from these a few decades later.
upload_2017-4-3_15-59-4.png
upload_2017-4-3_15-59-15.png

The "Tarte" was soon adopted by shepherds in the Alps and Pyrenees, by mountaineers, hunters, outdoors-men and -women for the very same qualities the beret offered to the Chasseurs Alpin. Boneteria Auloronesa developed its own version in a heavy, 100% French merino wool soft-felted 336mm model, available in black and seven colours. The last bulwark between the head and the clouds!
upload_2017-4-3_16-0-37.png
upload_2017-4-3_16-0-47.png
upload_2017-4-3_16-1-25.png
upload_2017-4-3_16-2-14.png

In a limited number, now on SPECIAL at discounts between 20 and 25%; one week only or as long as stock lasts!

upload_2017-4-3_16-9-22.png
upload_2017-4-3_16-9-31.png
upload_2017-4-3_16-9-41.png

Ah, and for those who aren't that sure about Boneteria Auloronesa's shade of navy, I have some exclusive and very good news in the pipeline. To be continued soon...

Nico

One of the Regulars
Wearing my Boneteria Aotearoa's over the weekend.

At the rugby game under lights, (sorry bad photo) the Boneteria Aotearoa Bordeaux.
Surprisingly received quite a few complements for the beret.
IMG_2611.jpg

On this cold wet day, wearing loden Boneteria Aotearoa
Kept the head dry and warm all day :)
IMG_2614.jpg

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
one of the things about wearing a relaxed beret is you feel semi dressed, but not , , i am always getting dirty at work and work a lot, but when those rare days come around when o am off--i wear my flannels , sweatpants and a nice matching beret, ah yes

Reactions: RJR

Nico

One of the Regulars
one of the things about wearing a relaxed beret is you feel semi dressed, but not , , i am always getting dirty at work and work a lot, but when those rare days come around when o am off--i wear my flannels , sweatpants and a nice matching beret, ah yes

Philipe. Well said.

Daan

Vendor

At the rugby game under lights, (sorry bad photo) the Boneteria Aotearoa Bordeaux.

Rugby is to berets what pipes are to beards; never far apart. Rugby is of course the major sport played (and celebrated) in Gascony and many, if not most, spectators don a beret during the games.
But of course, Gascony is still part of France (whether they like it or not) and berets are often seen elsewhere in the country at big events. The interesting thing is, is that berets have crossed borders where it concerns rugby.
Wales, Scotland, Ireland...
Rugby+HeinekenCuplaunch_berets.jpg
Leinster+rugby.jpg

Even New Zealand (I would say among the lowest beret-density countries in the world), has a tradition of wearing berets to the rugby. Even while playing in the nude, we still don a beret:
upload_2017-4-10_8-49-52.png
upload_2017-4-10_8-50-1.png

And I think it's great that, thanks to rugby, there is a real revival in beret wearing; in Gascony as well as outside the Beret Heartlands.
upload_2017-4-10_8-51-49.png
upload_2017-4-10_8-54-49.png

When I last visited Toulouse, I was surprised (and delighted) to see how many people wore berets (and that has certainly to do with Toulouse being home to rugby union club Stade Toulousain).
Laulhère has been awarded the sole rights to supply the official beret for the XV rugby games by the French Rugby Federation.
upload_2017-4-10_9-0-52.png

I have three left in stock at present...

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-10_8-53-57.png
    upload_2017-4-10_8-53-57.png
    129.7 KB · Views: 105

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
Rugby is to berets what pipes are to beards; never far apart. Rugby is of course the major sport played (and celebrated) in Gascony and many, if not most, spectators don a beret during the games.
But of course, Gascony is still part of France (whether they like it or not) and berets are often seen elsewhere in the country at big events. The interesting thing is, is that berets have crossed borders where it concerns rugby.
Wales, Scotland, Ireland...
Rugby+HeinekenCuplaunch_berets.jpg
Leinster+rugby.jpg

Even New Zealand (I would say among the lowest beret-density countries in the world), has a tradition of wearing berets to the rugby. Even while playing in the nude, we still don a beret:
View attachment 71660 View attachment 71661
And I think it's great that, thanks to rugby, there is a real revival in beret wearing; in Gascony as well as outside the Beret Heartlands.
View attachment 71662 View attachment 71664
When I last visited Toulouse, I was surprised (and delighted) to see how many people wore berets (and that has certainly to do with Toulouse being home to rugby union club Stade Toulousain).
Laulhère has been awarded the sole rights to supply the official beret for the XV rugby games by the French Rugby Federation.
View attachment 71665
I have three left in stock at present...
OOO what is the pouce on these beauties

Daan

Vendor
Is it blue?
Below are photos of my BA universel in black (noir) and my BA universel in blue (marine). Under certain light conditions, it's actually quite hard to tell them apart. Also, the shade of blue is very dark -- almost black.
If I did not know it was blue and did not have a black (noir) beret with which to compare it, I might assume that it was black or nearly black.

Interesting pictures, GrayEyes. I have seen certain clothes where the difference between black and a dark navy was only visible side by side, and in certain light.

Guess it's a combination of things.
Different beret batches ,dye colour may vary. Photo , exposure, lighting and so on.
Here is a photo taken a few meters away from the last one, beret looks much darker.

View attachment 70844

View attachment 71582

On this cold wet day, wearing loden Boneteria Aotearoa
Kept the head dry and warm all day :)
View attachment 71581

Remember all the discussion on 'Navy' berets a few weeks back?
At that time, Boneteria Auloronesa was working on a special order for me: Foulards in a slightly lighter shade of blue; not "UN" or "sky", but more resembling the colour of denim, was the brief.
upload_2017-4-10_13-46-16.png

And now these berets are in, I can only say how extremely pleased I am! A beautiful colour and, needless to say, I had to take out an 11p and an Alpin for myself!
upload_2017-4-10_13-49-3.png
upload_2017-4-10_13-48-46.png

This was only a small batch and almost half of them have already sold by pre-order.
Given the instant popularity, I will order more, but this will take a good while as the manufacturer presently has no room for custom orders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy