Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best HOT CURLERS/ROLLERS out on the market

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Helloooo Ladies...

Ok, I need to get a replacement set of Hot Rollers. (I already have Hot Sticks) I want to get a regular sized set.

I am looking for a set that:

• gets super hot,
    has at least 2 different size rollers,
    and doesn't clamps to keep them on.

Ideas? Comments? Concerns? Reviews?

Edit: I said clips, but by clips I mean clamps. I guess I got redundant. Those metal looking U clips are fine.

Thanks!

Smuterella

One Too Many
can someone explain the difference between hot rollers and hot sticks

i have what i call hot rollers from babyliss, they are velvet covered ceramic rollers and they are ok but my hair just doesn't hold a curl unless i use oodles of product.

roots66

One of the Regulars
I recently got a free Conair Infiniti set, which is black and cool-looking but unfortunately doesn't meet your "no clips or clamps" criteria. I don't care for the clips it came with so I use Conair Superclips. It has 8 1-1/4-inch, 6 1-inch, and 6 3/4-inch rollers with a flocked surface, which I prefer to the kinds with teeth. I use it at the highest setting and it gets pretty hot, though definitely not as searing as Hot Sticks. If weather conditions are fine I can get at least a day out of the curls.

I've experimented a lot with the Caruso steam rollers, but haven't had much lasting success. It's a shame as so many reviewers tout them highly and claim they're not as damaging...but I guess I've got the kind of hair that falls flat at the slightest hint of humidity.

I'm pretty satisfied with the Conair, but I second your query as I would *love* to locate a set that can reach "scorching" Hot Sticks-like temperatures, yet produce a larger-than-Hot Sticks curl. One of these days I should attempt the "two Hot Sticks at once" technique, but I'm scared I might burn my fingers off while trying to secure them both.

[I'm writing mainly to tell you how much I adore your new avatar, Desi--very Classy Beatnik!]

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
can someone explain the difference between hot rollers and hot sticks

i have what i call hot rollers from babyliss, they are velvet covered ceramic rollers and they are ok but my hair just doesn't hold a curl unless i use oodles of product.

Hot Sticks by CONAIR are tubes that are about 1/2" or less. You can find them on Ebay. (I have had NO luck finding them in stores). I am on my second set, they are the best.

But for regular hot rollers, I am talking about rollers 1" or bigger. with the occasional 3/4" roller.

Both heat up and set the hair with heat.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love Caruso

and never have a problem with it not lasting, even without setting goo. I guess because my hair is dryish and has a lot of wave to begin with?
They leave my hair nice and smooth!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I really like the Remington hot rollers. They have 3 sizes, 6 large, 4 small, and probably 8 or 10 medium. They use the meal "u"clip things. They are my standby for hot rollers. (rather than sticks/rag rollers)

I've used this brand for 10 years, I have 2 sets, one, for just in case!
You can find them on ebay, most times for a really cheap price! Let me find you a pic and I'll post it back in here.

Oh and they get hot, because I burn my fingers like I do on hot sticks. And if you want more of the smaller set, I have seen a set of the remingtons, they are blue, all one size, all the small size, and they apparently are used mostly for beauty pagaent hair! ha!:D

OK, here are the ones I use. They have a wax core, so they get pretty hot!

1d5a_1.jpg

And here are the blue ones..they are called "Tight Curls" they are discontinued and I have only seen them on ebay.
remh21spnb.jpg

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
~*Red*~ said:
I really like the Remington hot rollers. They have 3 sizes, 6 large, 4 small, and probably 8 or 10 medium. They use the meal "u"clip things. They are my standby for hot rollers. (rather than sticks/rag rollers)

I've used this brand for 10 years, I have 2 sets, one, for just in case!
You can find them on ebay, most times for a really cheap price! Let me find you a pic and I'll post it back in here.

Oh and they get hot, because I burn my fingers like I do on hot sticks. And if you want more of the smaller set, I have seen a set of the remingtons, they are blue, all one size, all the small size, and they apparently are used mostly for beauty pagaent hair! ha!:D

OK, here are the ones I use. They have a wax core, so they get pretty hot!

1d5a_1.jpg

And here are the blue ones..they are called "Tight Curls" they are discontinued and I have only seen them on ebay.
remh21spnb.jpg

Those with the wax core, the first ones in the picture, are like the ones I used to have...and they did the trick.

they got super hot and made a fantastic curl. However, they are hard to find. It seems the hot hot hot curlers are off the market, probably because they were burning the hades off of our fingers!

Meggan_Lane

Familiar Face
I use Profiles SPA...

I think my Mom has used them since they were invented and I have used them since I was a little girl. I have tried all sorts of other kinds and none work like this. You can buy them at any Sally's Beauty Supply I am sure, I did, and they last forever. They also follow all your criteria! Hope this helps:) They are by Belson I believe.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia said:
Man them Tight Curls are going for a pretty penny on the Bay!
I know it!! I've been wanting to get some for awhile now, but they are always going at high prices.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Hot Sticks by CONAIR are tubes that are about 1/2" or less. You can find them on Ebay. (I have had NO luck finding them in stores). I am on my second set, they are the best.

But for regular hot rollers, I am talking about rollers 1" or bigger. with the occasional 3/4" roller.

Both heat up and set the hair with heat.

Hot Sticks are made by Babyliss in the UK, Smuterella, just FYI! :D

Smuterella

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
Hot Sticks are made by Babyliss in the UK, Smuterella, just FYI! :D

thanks - I have never heard of them. until this thread I thought they were the same thing

*blush*

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
They're surprisingly hard to get hold of, you can buy em online but they are expensive. I got mine from ebay for a fiver! There's a set on there now, but they are the 'Travel' version. Keep your eye on the bay!

Mirax H

New in Town
I use the Remington set but the newer ones have clamps- I do not like that. However, I did modify the clamps so they don't leave a line across my hair.

roots66

One of the Regulars
Mirax H said:
I use the Remington set but the newer ones have clamps- I do not like that. However, I did modify the clamps so they don't leave a line across my hair.

So do the new Remington sets get as hot as the vintage ones? There's an interesting-looking current set called "Speed 2 Curl" that has tabs to hold your ends in place, possibly eliminating the need for end papers.

Oddly enough, while Remington shavers are plentiful up here, I haven't seen any other items from that company in local shops.

Mirax H

New in Town
Not sure how hot the vintage ones get but even though these are supposed to be "cool" on the ends, I wind up having to work quickly cause they burn my fingers LOL.

PS

A-List Customer
I have been doing lots of research because sleeping in my rollers takes planning and I wanted the option to not sleep in them. But I am not really willing to do a lot of damage to my hair. I have thick, curly hair so I grabbed the Caruso Steam rollers...I've only used them once so far but I have some learning to do...here is what happened.........

My hair started out as slept in, with a tiny bit of leave in conditioner this am.
I steamed the rollers and left them in for 10 minutes. I used Large and Jumbo. Which gave me volume and not much else. I was hoping for large curls. The next time I do this I will use a setting lotion and remove all my natural curl before rolling. And certainly set for longer than 10 mins.
Before
2z3s27p.jpg
[/IMG]
During
Fairly Heavy, could tip
2eg5ikl.jpg
[/IMG]
Done
2gskhhs.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members