Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best HOT CURLERS/ROLLERS out on the market

roots66

One of the Regulars
Darhling said:
I am trying to find the Conair hotsticks on ebay - but I am finding lots of different ones :

pink and lavender colored ones, just marked conair hotstick

pink and lavender colored ones, marked salon series

pink and green ones, marked conair hotsticks

they are all from conair

does anyone know the difference between these ones and which ones is best to buy?

I don't profess to be an expert, but I think the pink-and-lavender sets would be older ('80s to early '90s), while the pink-and-green sets are more recently manufactured.

miss_elise

Practically Family
I have this set - Remington H1080N Body Waves

img_remau_255px_h1080n.jpg

img_pkg_h1080n.jpg

http://www.remington-products.com.au/Haircare/HotRollers/remau_h1080n.htm

they have a wax core and get really hot... they manage to curl my rather tempermental hair... and my set came with both clamps and the wire clip pins... i would recommend them...

i would presume they are available in the states...

PS

A-List Customer
conair_chv12n_350w.jpg

I just purchased these. Today I am fighting the temptation to take a sledge hammer to them! Along with my Caruso Steam Rollers and Hot Sticks.
For some reason my hair doesn't want to take a heated curl. AT ALL!
Someone else pointed out that flat ironed hair won't take curl so I stopped.
But I had to try my hair so I blew it out. Then thought maybe it was my leave in, making everything too soft to hold a curl. Then I pulled out the setting lotion.
This very second, I am sitting here in my foam rollers for the dollar store.(i know these work! [huh] )
What am I doing wrong?
I went for a larger roller 1 1/2 all the same size because I never would use the tiny ones that come with other sets and because my hair is near my bra in back I thought i could get away with a larger roller. I could really use some help!

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
THe old school hot rollers with the wax core I have found get the hottest.

Some of the newer rollers with the foam wrap around the roller is junk. I am tempted to take one of my Revlon rollers and strip that foam wrap.. and see if there is plastic underneath. The hotter the better!

I will let you know how it goes.

RetroQueen

Familiar Face
How do you ladies use the setting lotion with hot rollers? Do you put it on wet hair then wait for it to dry or blow dry the hair, then put in the hot rollers? Do you use lottabody?

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
RetroQueen said:
How do you ladies use the setting lotion with hot rollers? Do you put it on wet hair then wait for it to dry or blow dry the hair, then put in the hot rollers? Do you use lottabody?

I use TRESemmé Curl Locking extra hold styling spray. (Wal-Mart $3). I spray it in the hair before I put the hot curler in. It holds pretty well. I have thick hair and it takes an act of congress to curl.

Lottabody or similar setting lotions I use only on wet sets that I have a day and a half to let dry.

RetroQueen

Familiar Face
desi_de_lu_lu said:
I use TRESemmé Curl Locking extra hold styling spray. (Wal-Mart $3). I spray it in the hair before I put the hot curler in. It holds pretty well. I have thick hair and it takes an act of congress to curl.

Lottabody or similar setting lotions I use only on wet sets that I have a day and a half to let dry.

Ok. Right now I am using Biolage Thermal-Active Setting Spray in the same manner...I spray it on a section of dry hair then put the hot roller in. It works pretty well for me.

Blondie

Practically Family
I use TIGI Bed Head "Uptight",
it's a heat activated setting spray, works a treat for me & my hair doesn't want to curl & stayed curled without it .

texasgirl

One Too Many
RetroQueen said:
Ok. Right now I am using Biolage Thermal-Active Setting Spray in the same manner...I spray it on a section of dry hair then put the hot roller in. It works pretty well for me.

I do the same- works fantastic! The curl stays in a lot longer than if I don't use it.

texasgirl

One Too Many
PS said:
conair_chv12n_350w.jpg

I just purchased these. Today I am fighting the temptation to take a sledge hammer to them! Along with my Caruso Steam Rollers and Hot Sticks.
For some reason my hair doesn't want to take a heated curl. AT ALL!
Someone else pointed out that flat ironed hair won't take curl so I stopped.
But I had to try my hair so I blew it out. Then thought maybe it was my leave in, making everything too soft to hold a curl. Then I pulled out the setting lotion.
This very second, I am sitting here in my foam rollers for the dollar store.(i know these work! [huh] )
What am I doing wrong?
I went for a larger roller 1 1/2 all the same size because I never would use the tiny ones that come with other sets and because my hair is near my bra in back I thought i could get away with a larger roller. I could really use some help!

I think the big rollers are just mainly to add body. Thery're too big to make curls. I don't think you're doing anything wrong. :)

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
RetroQueen said:

I will have to try Biolage.. except sometimes I get cheap with my hair products because 90% of the time the products end up SUCKING so I end up giving them away or tossing them.

But Biolage is excellent...I didn't even know they made setting spray.

PS

A-List Customer
desi_de_lu_lu said:
I will have to try Biolage.. except sometimes I get cheap with my hair products because 90% of the time the products end up SUCKING so I end up giving them away or tossing them.

But Biolage is excellent...I didn't even know they made setting spray.

I agree! I have a hard time spending money on my hair!
I have left my new hot roller dilemma up to my mother whose been working the same set for about 15 years now. I get to worked up, I am leaving this to her. She has to get me one that works, I won't buy another unless it comes from the thrift. That way I won't feel bad about adding more curlers I don't love to the bathroom!

gingermore

Familiar Face
Has anybody tried Curlstix? I'm planning on getting either hot sticks or Curlstix. I saw Curlstix at my local hair supplies store and I like that they are so portable and they have the mirror with lights (which would be great for putting on makeup when I'm on the road), but I'm concerned with how they actually stay in the hair. They don't clip together at the ends like hot sticks.

Any ideas?

gingermore

Familiar Face
I have a lot of thick hair that loves to curl up when there's a bit of moisture about. Maybe the steam rollers are for me? My hot rollers are really damaging my hair. My only concern is that my hair takes ages to dry. Could the covers be a problem? Any advice much appreciated.

PS

A-List Customer
I have a ton of fine, thick wavy hair and the steam curlers were taking ages to dry so I bought the Super Clips to let some air in because the steam was getting stuck between all my hair and the cover. They really did help.

On a personal note, the steam curlers make my hair huge. I have hair that fluffs in humidity hence it did the same thing with the curlers. I tried using the smallest curlers but still the same effect.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I WISH I could use hot rollers... Sighs....

I have the remmington rollers now.. and they work.. for about 2 seconds..a and then there is only a wave in my hair...

I have steam rollers.. but sometimes my hair will fluff up like a balloon.. and i look like i stuck my finger in the wall.. LOL

Sooo to be quite honest.. over the years.. i have given the Hot rollers all the doubt.. but they just dont work for my hair.. so.. Foam rollers it is for me!

I only use the hot rollers when I need a quick wave cause i dont really like my hair stick straight :)

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Just a thought, but maybe for those who haven't found a set of rollers that make you happy, you could set your hair with the freestanding barrel curl using a curling iron? It's pretty fast and fairly simple and once it cools, the curls are soft and manageable.
I do this when I need to curl hair for my models and I obviously don't want to lug around a hot roller set in my kit. Below are examples of this technique on models after brushing their hair out and styling it. Both models had super straight hair

Down:
pinup1.jpg

Pigtails:
pinup2.jpg

Loose:
kelly-1.jpg

picture of the technique:
freehaircutting12_clip_image005.jpg

Tatum

Practically Family
Odalisque, I wish I didn't have to wait for shipping! The weekends boating leave me with truly boring hair in the evenings, so I wanted to get creative, as I am all thumbs with a curling iron!

I also grabbed a vintage bonnet dryer and these funny little hot rag rollers! My goodness, I love eBay. My hubby shakes his head until he sees how little I have paid for this stuff.....

p32160b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda