Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best HOT CURLERS/ROLLERS out on the market

PS

A-List Customer
Rebecca,
I believe I recognize your work from MM?
That the makeup in the last picture is perfection.

What curling iron do you use?

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Yes! I am from MM :) What is your name there? I would love to add you as a friend :D

I use this curling iron:
21R1MQP8W8L_AA160_.jpg

and these clips to hold the barrel curl:
dual_purpose_clip_75ct.jpg

I hope this helps :)

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Thank you so much :D I must admit when working on models with perfect skin and hair, I can't take TOO much credit ;)

I actually get the clips from Sally Beauty and they come in a blue cardboard box. My grandmother turned me on to them because to this day she pincurls her hair and sleeps on it and she uses these clips :)

Tatum

Practically Family
RebeccaMUA said:
Thank you so much :D I must admit when working on models with perfect skin and hair, I can't take TOO much credit ;)

I actually get the clips from Sally Beauty and they come in a blue cardboard box. My grandmother turned me on to them because to this day she pincurls her hair and sleeps on it and she uses these clips :)

Your Sally's must be better than the three near me, they always say, "Um, yeah, we're out of those (again)". lol

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Tatum said:
Odalisque, I wish I didn't have to wait for shipping! The weekends boating leave me with truly boring hair in the evenings, so I wanted to get creative, as I am all thumbs with a curling iron!

I also grabbed a vintage bonnet dryer and these funny little hot rag rollers! My goodness, I love eBay. My hubby shakes his head until he sees how little I have paid for this stuff.....

p32160b.jpg

Ohhh those look sooo interesting! Let me know how you like your stuff!

I LOVE Ebay!!! :D :D

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Tatum said:
Your Sally's must be better than the three near me, they always say, "Um, yeah, we're out of those (again)". lol

Really?? All three Sally's?? Gee...well if you want I can mail you some :) Just let me know!

Tatum

Practically Family
Thanks, Rebecca! I am actually going to try a new one soon (they keep popping up all around me), but I'll let you know!

They have these teenage girls who work in them that look at me crazy when I come in with my hair done anyway, maybe they just are unaware :)

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Caruso steam

gingermore said:
I have a lot of thick hair that loves to curl up when there's a bit of moisture about. Maybe the steam rollers are for me? My hot rollers are really damaging my hair. My only concern is that my hair takes ages to dry. Could the covers be a problem? Any advice much appreciated.

I have great luck with the caruso steam curlers. I've had the same set since the mid-80s and its a work-horse! Its very gentle.

That being said, I don't believe the newer version of either the steamer or the curlers work quite as well as the original. I picked up one of the ionic steeamers and extra rollers when I did a fashion show because I had a dozen heads to set. In trial runs on hair, I found that the curl did not take as well and the ionic steamer ultimately gave out a few weeks later....while my 20-odd year old set soldiers on! (ultimately for the show, I used several sets of hot sticks...works great, but would be too damaging for daily use as these get hot!) I would see if you could pick up a used version of the original before investing in the new set. The original steamer puts out more steam and the rollers are "spongier" too. Look for the pink and gray steamer that you need to add salt to with the all pink curlers.

Honey Doll

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Honey Doll said:
I have great luck with the caruso steam curlers. I've had the same set since the mid-80s and its a work-horse! Its very gentle.

That being said, I don't believe the newer version of either the steamer or the curlers work quite as well as the original. I picked up one of the ionic steeamers and extra rollers when I did a fashion show because I had a dozen heads to set. In trial runs on hair, I found that the curl did not take as well and the ionic steamer ultimately gave out a few weeks later....while my 20-odd year old set soldiers on! (ultimately for the show, I used several sets of hot sticks...works great, but would be too damaging for daily use as these get hot!) I would see if you could pick up a used version of the original before investing in the new set. The original steamer puts out more steam and the rollers are "spongier" too. Look for the pink and gray steamer that you need to add salt to with the all pink curlers.

Honey Doll

Honey Doll!
Thanks for the great tip! I have the newer version of the steamers.. and they are ok :)

I will seach for an older version of the rollers and steamers.. I do remember my grandmother having a set.. and the rollers did have more sqwish to them!

My search on Ebay.. never ends.. that place is addicting :eek:

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
SarahLouise said:
I've heard that you should avoid rollers which are ceramic as they are designed to be gentler to the hair and may not curl too well. I have Babyliss ceramic hot rollers and they are useless but then my hair doesn't curl at all using hot methods so probably best to ignore my advice! I've got a vintage set of Carmen rollers which are slightly better but again, I don't really use them as they don't work well with my hair. The same with Babyliss Hot Sticks. I've heard that Clairol Lock & Roll ones are good.

Yes, ceramic is designed to not ruin your hair but my hair is DEAD straight and hard to curl. I'll tell you right now, ceramic hot rollers/ curling irons are the only hot tool that's been able to do the job. oh my gosh, the metal curling irons don't do A THING to my hair! If and when they actually do, my curls fall out within an hour...

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Vix Vixen said:
Yes, ceramic is designed to not ruin your hair but my hair is DEAD straight and hard to curl. I'll tell you right now, ceramic hot rollers/ curling irons are the only hot tool that's been able to do the job. oh my gosh, the metal curling irons don't do A THING to my hair! If and when they actually do, my curls fall out within an hour...

I agree. The ceramic iron is not only designed to be gentler to your hair, it also gets much hotter than the cheap ones, which also explains why it's the only thing that will really curl straight hair (mine too!). I don't have one myself, I can't choose which one to buy! There are so many to choose from.

Tatum

Practically Family
Alright, I have a review ready for the hot rag rollers, they showed up today. They take a while to heat up (15 min), and you need to leave them in a bit, but oh my goodness, I went for a pageboy and it looked better than when I wet-set it! I am thrilled, Saturday AM hair won't be so bad anymore :D

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Tatum said:
Alright, I have a review ready for the hot rag rollers, they showed up today. They take a while to heat up (15 min), and you need to leave them in a bit, but oh my goodness, I went for a pageboy and it looked better than when I wet-set it! I am thrilled, Saturday AM hair won't be so bad anymore :D

So glad to hear this! I have a set that I got on clearance at ULTA to throw in my hair kit should the need every arise to use them ( I haven't yet) and I am glad to hear how well they work!

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Hot Sticks Newbie

Ok gals,
You all raved about the conair hot sticks so much I finally got a set. My hair is fine and I fought with one for 5 minutes trying to get it started :rage: But after less than 5 minutes and no setting lotion I pulled it out and it is amazing :D well, that one curl anyways... Any tips on how to get them started? I have layered hair and geez those little ends are not cooperating when I try to wrap them around the curler!

roots66

One of the Regulars
64tonya said:
Ok gals,
You all raved about the conair hot sticks so much I finally got a set. My hair is fine and I fought with one for 5 minutes trying to get it started :rage: But after less than 5 minutes and no setting lotion I pulled it out and it is amazing :D well, that one curl anyways... Any tips on how to get them started? I have layered hair and geez those little ends are not cooperating when I try to wrap them around the curler!

End papers and a touch of some kind of setting lotion or heat setting spray should help.

Further info can be found in the Hot Sticks thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=11804

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Tatum said:
Alright! I'm getting a set :)

decodoll

Practically Family
ok...I'm horrible...I just ordered some too! I should just start calling myself a hair curling implement collector at this point. lol I figure if nothing else they will be really nice and compact for when I travel.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
roots66 said:
End papers and a touch of some kind of setting lotion or heat setting spray should help.

Further info can be found in the Hot Sticks thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=11804
Thanks Roots66! I did search for it :eek: I guess I'm not very good at searching for stuff cause I can never seem to find what I want and then someone will kindly point me to exactly the right thread....:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda