Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best of the new Aero bunch

majormajor

One Too Many
I agree, the Dustbowl just has that certain period feel to it. A beautiful thing. I was very tempted when I was up there a couple of weeks ago. But I was seduced by the brown midweight FQHH Aeromarine that I came away with. Definitely a keeper!:D;)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Good on Aero for expanding their range but I personally can't see any reason to look past the patterns they already had - two or three of those designs tick all the boxes I need ticking.

majormajor

One Too Many
Many of the new patterns are midweight, rather than the heavy FQHH. I guess they wanted to broaden the scope of their range, which I think they have done very successfully. For me, the two ranges certainly compliment each other. They are covering all bases now:D;)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, there are some nice patterns there and I like the mid weight hide. My preference goes to the 1930's half-belt and cafe racer. It's bumper times for the leather jacket customer.

SLAB

A-List Customer
I'm tempted by the Aeromarine and Hercules. Lovely jackets, although I'd still have a few minor modifications done to them

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Many of the new patterns are midweight, rather than the heavy FQHH. I guess they wanted to broaden the scope of their range, which I think they have done very successfully. For me, the two ranges certainly compliment each other. They are covering all bases now:D;)

I agree. My DB will certainly see me from now to early autumn - it'll take on character with wear, but the lighter weight horse doesn't require the FQHH breaking in (fun as it is) - before switching on to the LHB and then alternating with the Irvin. Tag team jacket wearing! Whodathunkit? :D

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have seen very little written about the Pioneer, which is listed as new, although was previously sold with kudu. It is a 40's HB that seems to fit between the 50's HB and the slim fitting 30's HB. The similarities between the Pioneer and Dustbowl are striking.

I have admired Major's Aeromarine (what's not to like) and Sloan's pre-production Dustbowl that is an exceptional jacket. Little or no mention of the Pioneer though. I would be interested in knowing if the Pioneer and Dustbowl fit differently and what the essential differences are between them, primarily if there is any essential difference between the two in fit.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I have my eye on quite a few. I've actually been eyeing up the Pioneer since its original kudu incarnation first appeared. I had planned to order it in black FQHH anyhow. I've wanted a black halfbelt for some time, and that model caught my eye as offering something jut a touch different than duplicating my 30s Halfbelt in another colour. I also really like the look of the Thunder Bay. Again, I've been toying for some time with the idea of a black jacket with the same Winter uses as my B3 & Irvin. Had been looking at the idea of a HWM with a shearling lining and a mouton collar; the Thunderbay adds a couple of other features I like, so that will also go on the list. An Aeromarine in that gorgeous cream hide is a real fancy... and a Sunbrust in Russet goat would be a joy. A black, heavy steer & shiny brass J106 MC rounds out my current Aero "wants list". It'll be a while before I can afford any of them, but them's the breaks!

In truth, there are none of the new jackets I would turn down if offered. I even surprised myself by liking the Shackleton. I long ago gave up leather waistcoats (my metalhead days,what can I say?), and to my eye they're all to often a bit, well.... They conjure up images of Sting wearing one with no shirt underneath. The Shackleton ha a certain dark appeal, though. I'd like to see one with a slightly modified collar (to make it easier to wear over a collar and tie - not the original purpose, I know), but nonetheless it does appeal. I can see Steampunks loving that one.

The wool and leather combo halfbelts look great, and I'd love to see Aero evolve more of this sort of thing. In particular, I'd adore to see them have a go at doing the same thing with a Bootlegger - in russet and burgundy, for example, or black and the Waterfront green/black checked wool. I'd also like to see more of these jackets done in all-wool. I love my Waterfront, really nice alternative to leather sometimes.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
I should add that the Thunderbay also looks very cool -- or, rather, warm -- especially with the featured collar. Seems more attractive for really cold weather than the very heavy looking Hudson and Northeaster. I feel I should be doing something more butch in life, though, if I were to wear the Thunderbay.

SJ

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My personal taste veers in the direction of minimalist, understated design, which was the primary motivation for my recently acquired Teamster, and my inclination leaning in the direction of the Pioneer, Dustbowl, and the old tried and true 50's HB, I think one of Aero's oldest designs. How great it would be if I were to have the opportunity to visit the Aero factory and try on 8-10 of their designs in size 42

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I love the Speedway, although I prefer the test jacket with two chest pockets. The Hercules and the Shackleton are close seconds.

If I should ever buy another Aero it is going to be a Barnstormer, though. I don't need another half belt, as mine is a perfect fit and it would be a shame to sell it just to get another model.

simonc

Practically Family
For my money Sunburst and King of the Road blew me away. I have ordered the Pioneer already which I will spec in Maxwell style button up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff