Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Repro D1? Aero or Eastman?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thinking of getting a D1 as a 3 seasons jacket (something with pockets for mobile & wallet). Your thoughts please gentleman, should I go for an Aero or an Eastman? Your experiences of either gratefully recieved.

pauleway

Practically Family
My brother has the Eastman B-6, and it is a very nice jacket. It has a Comar zipper that he does not like, but beside that, it is really a beautiful jacket!

Otter

One Too Many
My conmar was a bit raspy to start with, but has worn in well and now is very free running. My tuppence worth is I would buy an anj4, but it depends how cold it is where you live and how much time you spend outdoors. I find I get more use from my b3 thsn I do from my Irvin as the Irvin is a warmer jscket. Horses for courses, your choice.

bn1966

Thanks for your input guys, did consider a B6 but concerned they might be a bit fussy (reading threads). My Irvin's (ELC BOB) ok for really cold weather but too warm otherwise (Wiltshire). I want a very simple lightweight shearling for three seasons wear...the D1 seems to fit the bill, oh and it must have pockets. Torn between an Aero "Redskin" & an Eastman D1. I have a number of Eastman jackets but no experience of Aero.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
The B6 and D1 have the same length fleece, the B6 being slightly longer in length than the D1, Aero B6/D1 tend to have thicker fleece than the more historically accurate Eastmans.

D

bn1966

Have just seen the ELC B6 "Redskin" in broken grain..man..what a wet dream of a jacket...what a price tag!!!!

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I'm a bit late to this party, but I purchased an Aero D-1 "redskin" in March. Far and away my favorite jacket. When worn out, girls actually come up to touch it and look closer!
It was bought 2nd hand but never worn. The orig owner had it stored since purchase about 5 yrs ago.

I own/owned most of the jacket types mentioned so have opinions there as well.
Living in Wisconsin along Lake Michigan has given me much experience for them.
I've got pix on my phone. I'll see about uploading them here.

M

I'm a bit late to this party, but I purchased an Aero D-1 "redskin" in March. Far and away my favorite jacket. When worn out, girls actually come up to touch it and look closer!It was bought 2nd hand but never worn. The orig owner had it stored since purchase about 5 yrs ago.I own/owned most of the jacket types mentioned so have opinions there as well.Living in Wisconsin along Lake Michigan has given me much experience for them.I've got pix on my phone. I'll see about uploading them here.M
Love the Redskins. BTW, if you want to post up pics, you don't upload them here, you'd use a site like photobucket.com and link to the pics here. If you need help, just yell. It's not bad, just a bit time-consuming until you get the hang of it.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Ah, thanks for the photo upload info. I was just searching the site.
I've never bothered with any of the photo services out there. Looks like I'm out of luck.

Edward

Bartender
My conmar was a bit raspy to start with, but has worn in well and now is very free running. My tuppence worth is I would buy an anj4, but it depends how cold it is where you live and how much time you spend outdoors. I find I get more use from my b3 thsn I do from my Irvin as the Irvin is a warmer jscket. Horses for courses, your choice.

Interesting you found that difference, why do you think that is? I've got a LW B3 and an ELC 42 pattern Irvin, and tbh I've never noticed a difference in warmth.

I agree. ELC B-6s are superb, but bn1966 asked about D-1 jackets.

What are the key differences between the Aero and the ELC? Thicker fleece in the Aero, and...?

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Interesting you found that difference, why do you think that is? I've got a LW B3 and an ELC 42 pattern tbh I've never noticed a difference in warmth.

I'm curious about that too. I've got B-3's from ELC and Aero. My RAF is the ELC BoB model. Now there are obvious differences in length and collar size cuts. The RAF jacket can be snugged with that belt. I've never noticed a warmth difference. Any of them are incredibly warm. If snow shoveling its too much.

What are the key differences between the Aero and the ELC? Thicker fleece in the Aero, and...?

As for thickness, I notice ELC trims the fleece. Aero leaves more of a combed fleece. I discovered with wear it gives it a slight curl, whereas the ELC stays nubby.

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks for your input guys, did consider a B6 but concerned they might be a bit fussy (reading threads). My Irvin's (ELC BOB) ok for really cold weather but too warm otherwise (Wiltshire). I want a very simple lightweight shearling for three seasons wear...the D1 seems to fit the bill, oh and it must have pockets. Torn between an Aero "Redskin" & an Eastman D1. I have a number of Eastman jackets but no experience of Aero.

Hi bn1966,
I think a D-1 is a very sensible choice for the temperate UK climate. I know I found my similar-weight ELC B-6 to be very practical and am looking forward to its replacement arriving in time for the cool Fall days over here ...
Having only the B-6 to go by, I can't speak for a D-1 per se - so, if it was me, I think I'd hold off for now until the next Duxford air show in September (it's just the next county over from you, after all) and have a look in on the ELC tent. That way you can try one on, try the zippers, feel the hides and see what you think ... and maybe get a discount on one of the demo jackets? Every bit helps, right ?
Alternatively, if money's a issue, you could just quietly assess them and decide which size fits you best - so you'll know for sure what size you want if you see a fine, unworn one on the 'Bay ....?

I also think that, if you're considering an Aero D-1, I think it'd be worth the trip up there to see one for yourself and see how they compare. You clearly appreciate these jackets for all they are and I think it'd be worth the extra investment. I've looked up the train times for you from Salisbury (guessing) to Galashiels and I see that it's a bit of a journey though (8 - 11hrs depending), so could be worth making a weekend out of with a B&B worked in? Worth considering ...
Like you, I was once a devout ELC customer - until I discovered Amanda at Aero (as she was then) and the Aero ANJ-3 and C-3 they made for me opened me up to other possibilities. I never saw that coming ... maybe it'll be the same for you? Who knows? I just know that, if I still had the option/luxury of visiting a manufacturer without getting on a 'plane, I would ....

Another possible option would be to call Amanda at AL and ask if they could make you one? Kelly is there and she is capable - but is she able? I have absolutely no idea, but it could be worth dropping a few quarters on a call for ...? No harm in asking.

Good hunting, mon ami.

Edward

Bartender
As for thickness, I notice ELC trims the fleece. Aero leaves more of a combed fleece. I discovered with wear it gives it a slight curl, whereas the ELC stays nubby.

Thanks - yeah, that is a difference. It'll be a while before I can afford it, but I've long fancied a B6. As I wear them as civilian jackets rather than doing the living history thing, I'm probably a bit less concerned about all-out accuracy than some folks, and price has to come into the mix. Always good to be fully informed of the differences so I can decide whether they are worth any price difference, et cetera... :)

Stand By

One Too Many
DOH ! I just checked the AL website - and they DO make a D-1!!! That'll teach me to pay more attention to their website ...!
All the more reason to make a trip up there for a recce now ...! Choices, choices .... :)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
DOH ! I just checked the AL website - and they DO make a D-1!!! That'll teach me to pay more attention to their website ...!
All the more reason to make a trip up there for a recce now ...! Choices, choices .... :)

There's an AL D-1 listed on the 'bay right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW