Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best sweatshirts in the world?

john corry

New in Town
New here - sorry for my ignorance.
I mostly wear real mccoy ball park sweats. I love them but want a change.
Money no object, who makes the finest heavy weight sweats in the world?

Welcome to the Lounge!!
Great question. I'd always thought the Buzz Rickson loopwheeled ones, but I personally haven't handled one.
Anyone a sweatshirt aficionado?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, although not made to be vintage, the American Giant stuff is really nice... I have 4 of their heavy weight hoodies, and my girlfriend and i pretty much live in them when at home, they are super comfortable, really nice and thick. They get creases at the elbows that are comparable to a nice leather jacket crease, and they age nicely with time. They do sweathsirts too, haven't tried one, but it should be similar to the hoodie.
Not sure if they are the best in the world, but they are the best i have owned.

I'd read about American giant being "the ultimate", and a friend got one. I was a bit underwhelmed after all the hype. Something odd about the cut.
I have a random hoodie I bought at a hotel that has been my grab-n-go for 10 years, but now it's done. :(
I'd like to get a great replacement- black full zip- no hipster sizing.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am not sure about the "finest" sweatshirt but if you want a change, perhaps you can check out Velva Sheen and Barns Outfitter.

My well-meaning wife bought me a Carhartt hoodie for Christmas. It feels fine, and I like the big zipper pull.
BUT...
It's 2" too long (I end up tucking it under when zipped), and it's not finished very well. The zipper tape is exposed on the inside (just sewn on top of the fabric) and flips up all the time which seems really weird to me.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good old Marks & Spencer's sold some nice cheap basic sweats that I wear as a daily staple with sleeves chopped at the elbow :)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Buzz Rickson, Strike Gold, Velva Sheen, and Ebbett's Field are all good at their respective price points. I'm seriously eyeing on of the "Go To Hell" faux patch crewneck being offered this season by TSPTR. I'm on a huge Nam Era trip at the moment, and I think this is genius:

gotohell_navy_crew_front_tsptr.jpg

There are plenty more out there as well that I'm sure you will find and others can/will recommend. Depends on what you want. Good luck!

Edward

Bartender
Picked up one of these in Sainsburys for £14 recently. I've not worn a sweatshirt in over twenty years, but the design of this one really tickled me and I've worn it a lot over an undershirt just recently as the weather gets warmer.

https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk...966-Blue?searchTerm=:relevance&searchProduct=
(for those in the US, Sainsburys is a supermarket chain in the UK that also does its own clothes under the 'TU' brand. Like a less posh St Michael for M&S.... Very good reputation for ethical production, and if you buy the right bits, they're really good quality and long-lasting. This has washed well already.)

Gav

Practically Family
Ive had real mccoys, Denime, John lofgren, loop wheeler, buzz rickson... I like real mccoys the best. The ballpark sweats are super heavy and a comfy shape. I wear them through the winter.
Not being funny but Maybe you should try one of the loop wheel or lighter ones for a change, I honestly don't think they can be topped.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
No picture, but I have one Pike brothers sweatshirt (grey). Worn it for two years, excellent quality and cut. Been washed a lot but still looks and feels like it did new!
Quite slim fit in the lower part of the torso.

Cheers Joakim

I have to say, I bought one but sent it back because I just didn't feel it was worth the money they go for. I've just bought a red, second hand Buzz Rickson and it's in mint condition.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
On the low end price wise, I have had very good luck with Russell Athletic sweatshirts. Some of them are from the 90s and still going strong and I don't baby them, yard work, working on motorcycles, grease and oil. Although, one of my dark blue Russell's is now purple from so many washings!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner