Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best treatment for Goatskin

devilish

A-List Customer
I've used Renapur, Vaseline and pure Lanolin. Not seen a heck of a lot of difference. Lanolin would probably be closest, naturally speaking, to what goat skin would need. Renapur gives a good amount of water protection. Vaseline is good enough for JC and he's about as knowledgable as it gets. So, I guess you picks your poison.

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
I've owned a number of goatskins jackets. Lexol seems easier to apply but they all effect the hide about the same. I also stay away form the rancid potential of natural products. Biggest mistake is to overuse Pecards.

I used Pecards on my goat before but all seems fine. I don't use a lot and I apply sparingly. What happened to yours?

pilot error

One of the Regulars
Ok....let me put it another way. Most of these preparations are waxy waterproofers. What can I feed the dry hide with that won't destroy the precious patina that took so long to achieve?

Peacoat

Bartender
It occurs to me that my 54 year old goat G-1 might need some attention. Not as old as your WWII goat, but getting that way. The recommendation in the prior thread was Renapur, of which I have none. If I had some, I would use it. If you are concerned about what to use, follow the recommendation in the other thread and order Renapur. Here is the link through Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...g=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=31811991536&hv Expensive stuff, that Renapur. I think I will just use Pecard on my G-1. It hasn't failed me yet, but then I don't think I have used it on goat.

pilot error

One of the Regulars
I'm told Pecard is made from Vaseline ,Beeswax, and I don't know what else. Renapur is Beeswax and Jojoba oil. That being said.......Leatherique is far and away the best leather treatment I have ever used. (Aero used to sell it). The problem is that it will make the patina vanish. What's in it? ???????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran