Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to condition a leather jacket?

mybabybook

New in Town
Hi there,
just got an used river island leather jacket, which I gave a quick wipe, but want to condition as well. What's best way of doing it as I am not sure what type of animal skin it is and also not sure if it's aniline, semi-aniline or pigmented. Really interested in conditioning using natural ingredients(homemade). thanks in advance.

P.P. there is a small stain on the sleeve, which looks like something that stuck to it. not sure if it's bubble gum or something else. thanks

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Pecards is great. But a good leather jacket doesn't need "conditioning" all that often. Once a decade... less maybe...

Pecards is great. But a good leather jacket doesn't need "conditioning" all that often. Once a decade... less maybe...

Yep.
From Aero Leather re: "Treating a leather jacket":

"Treating The Leather

This is even easier. Do nothing, absolutely nothing. Do not oil it, don't treat it with hide food - even ours, this is for old steerhide jackets and dried up old vintage horsehide jackets from the 1930s and 1940s, not for your Aero, well not until maybe 2035."

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/break-in.php

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Well, not all jackets are FQHH Aeroleather, the OP actually pointed out that he didn't know what hide it is at all. So maybe a little Pecard's won't hurt. ;)

fashion frank

One Too Many
I occasionally saddle soap my motorcycle jackets , then mink oil them and my older one even gets a shoe polish treatment ( after I ignite the polish and just use the oily top layer of the polish ) and they stay supple and looking like new.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

eggleman

One of the Regulars
Pecards has never let me down.
If I remember correctly , a number of museums use it to preserve their leather artifacts , so it can't be bad ...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Before wasting money on postage, do you have an equestrian centre nearby? They may sell conditioners for leather bridles etc that have to put up with animal saliva and sweat so they may have a cheaper alternative.
All will probably darken the leather on initial application though I dont know how you could remove a long time stain
Co Cho Line
Pecards
RM Williams
Are probably the most well known products used by members here.

mihai

A-List Customer
I'd avoid if possible petroleum / solvents based products. The solvents help the active ingredient penetrate better the leather fibers. At the same time they may weaken the fibers by breaking-up their structure. However this opinion is based only on theory and documentation. No practical observation. Even if this kind of damage would happen, lots of variables influence the "result": hide type, amount of product used, elapsed time, how is the hide used.

Well, not all jackets are FQHH Aeroleather, the OP actually pointed out that he didn't know what hide it is at all. So maybe a little Pecard's won't hurt. ;)

My guess is, if vintage A2 collectors can't tell the difference between HH and steer without a lab test, neither can a "leather treatment product". ;)

Better is the enemy of good.
Never seen a jacket not in need of "treatment" "hurt" by not treating it.
HAVE seen a jacket "hurt" by "treatment". Stained, over treated to where the leather is heavy/greasy...

Peacoat

Bartender
Unless your jacket is drying out, put nothing on it. It doesn't need it. The worst thing you can do for a leather jacket is to put conditioner on it when none is needed. They ought to be good for 20 years or more without the need for conditioners.

I will say though that getting something like Lexol cleaner for the collar is a good idea. Look at the older jackets. Many of them have cracked and destroyed collars. I have to think this is due to sweat on that region compounded by the crease. Therefore, I use the Lexol to clean my collars regularly.

mybabybook

New in Town
thanks for the adviced guys. So, i am really not sure how old this jacket is, but shouldn't be older than 5 years. Just wanted to condition it, because of the wet wipe I did, just to remove any dirt from the leather. Now I got a leather cleaner "Letap Suede LTD"- London. It's a london,UK based company. Not sure how good it is, but it says that it cleans and "feeds" the leather. So, do you think I should use it or leave it as it is? cheers

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Mate, you can put a leather jacket in the washing machine (I wash them sometimes to loosen up the fit) and still not need conditioner.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Unless your jacket is drying out, put nothing on it. It doesn't need it. The worst thing you can do for a leather jacket is to put conditioner on it when none is needed. They ought to be good for 20 years or more without the need for conditioners.

The very best advice :arated:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy