Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Kelso A2 Arco 18775 after 6 months (perfect!)

Rijn

New in Town
Greetings all,
I wanted to share my observations on my Bill Kelso A2, an Arco 18775 now that I've had it for 6 months and have thoroughly broken it in. I absolutely love this jacket. My hiatus from this forum is wholly due to my satisfaction--my search is complete! I've been through A2's from five other reputable brands, but as most of you are, I am extremely picky, and have not been completely satisfied...until now. After ordering a Rough Wear 27752 from BK, I realized I preferred the Arco--not only for it's standard colors (dark seal victory horsehide, dark khaki lining, rust knits, and olive thread), but also its collar construction and general fit. I am slim, and want my A2 to fit like a glove (I can't abide baggy sleeves, droopy epaulettes, or a poofy midsection), with enough room for an undershirt and button down (as shown). Judging from the Rough Wear I ordered, and my correspondence with BK's customer serviceman, Andy, I was able to commit to a custom jacket (returning the Rough Wear, of course). Andy, by the way, is a pleasure to work with, extremely patient, diligent, and understanding. He is the consummate professional who is there for all those obsessed, love-struck A2 addicts out there like me.
So anyways, I ordered a 38R Arco, with an additional inch on the body length and sleeves. I was able to make these decisions based on the Rough Wear, but also because of some threads on other posts here that suggested additional length particularly for folks who wear low(er) rise jeans. Definitely good advice. The delivery took a little while, due to a backordered supply of leather, but it was summer, so I wasn't in a hurry. Nevertheless, I received it before it was cool enough to wear outside, so I wore it at home and in the car, and even slept in it one night to break it in. It takes some time; be patient. The leather is very thick and heavy, but it really does form to your shape and movements. I love the rich color contrasts of the Arco, and I've found that the sheen of the hide has improved with a beautiful patina. I've gotten many compliments on the jacket. I will boast a little and say that when people ask about the jacket, I feel a little pity for them, because it's so far and above what they likely will find, invest in, and experience on their own (because they're not as obsessed as I am with A2s).
I hope this review helps some of you with your jacket decision(s)! Here is a link to my photos:
http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/s...o A2 Arco 18775?sort=3&evt=email_share&page=1

Last edited:

Cooperson

One Too Many
Many thanks for posting, jacket looks very nice. Difficult to appreciate it from self taken mirror photos, but great to see a BK owner on here reviewing a jacket at last. If we could only get a Westfall owner to give us a review, I might just be tempted :)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Man there's nothing like a happy customer (no crack intended)! I'm happy for you and the color combo is spectacular. Fits well, looks good. Congrats...

Worf

Rijn

New in Town
Thanks for all the comments/compliments everyone. @Sir Jacket: I ordered an Aero 38 during my quest (which I ultimately returned), and yes, the BK is heavier leather. I liked the Aero, but at that point, I had already decided to commit to a custom jacket, and found it easier to work with Andy, since we had already worked through the Rough Wear by that point, and in terms of know exactly what I was getting and specific measurements. He was more responsive, too. I don't mean to criticize Aero, though! They were very nice and helpful. I think you can achieve the same color combo with Aero, too. I should also mention that the Aero 38 was very short. I highly recommend adding some length, custom.

Rijn

New in Town
Thanks, Grayland, but I can't promise that the search is over :) My next quest is to find a good B2 style bomber for colder temperatures. This forum, for better or worse, has caused me to wave-off of going through lost worlds.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That really is a corker of an A-2. The leather/knit combination is one of the best.

Always nice to see a member get their "perfect" jacket. As you say, the A-2 is sorted, now it's time for the quest for the "perfect" next model ;)

Cole

One of the Regulars
That is realy a very nice jacket and I especialy like, that the fit is slim and not as blousy as it is on most A2s (my Aero 38 included).

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
Greetings all,
I wanted to share my observations on my Bill Kelso A2, an Arco 18775
I hope this review helps some of you with your jacket decision(s)! Here is a link to my photos:
http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/s...o A2 Arco 18775?sort=3&evt=email_share&page=1

Rijn, that jacket is perfect, and exactly how I need my next one to fit now I've lost weight.

Can you please tell me what your actual chest and height measurements are, and what you changed over the standard Kelso Arco dimensions-wise, to get that fit?

Also, could you please lay your jacket flat and zipped, and let me know the actual pit-to-pit, length from bottom of collar seam down back to bottom of knit, sleeve length from shoulder to end of cuff, and pit to end of cuff?

Sorry for asking you for all this, but I can really benefit from that and hopefully my next A2 can fit me properly first try! ;)

Yours looks amazing mate.

Last edited:

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
Hi Rijn
Were those photos taken when new or after six months? If new do you have any recent photos. It seems the dark seal transforms quite a bit going by these two reviews. One new and one after four months. Andy sent someone over to get my measurments this week and whitin a few weeks I should have my jacket in dark seal. Before anyone gets any big ideas on getting measured i live not to far away from BK.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...rse-Dark-Seal-Aero-18775&highlight=arco+18775
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...ctory-Horsehide)-Size-40&highlight=bill+kelso

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is realy a very nice jacket and I especialy like, that the fit is slim and not as blousy as it is on most A2s (my Aero 38 included).

Thats the very reason I don't usually like A2, I hate that blowsy look. This one is probably the best looking A2 I've seen in that regard. Gratz

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, Grayland, but I can't promise that the search is over :) My next quest is to find a good B2 style bomber for colder temperatures. This forum, for better or worse, has caused me to wave-off of going through lost worlds.

Ah, the B2.... the only repro I've seen in person was a Buzz Rickson - beautiful jacket. Mostly the B2 is only to be found in Japan (though Lost worlds also do one). Not so popular here in the West, I suppose because it lacks the sheen lent anything by the glamourisation of the WW2 period. I've always thought Aero could do the B2 justice. Probably wouldn't be a huge amount of work for them either to rejig the Thunder Bay pattern to the B2 spec... (as I recall, this would mostly involve altering pocket configuration, lining change, and significantly enlarging the collar).

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Ah, the B2.... the only repro I've seen in person was a Buzz Rickson - beautiful jacket. Mostly the B2 is only to be found in Japan (though Lost worlds also do one). Not so popular here in the West, I suppose because it lacks the sheen lent anything by the glamourisation of the WW2 period. I've always thought Aero could do the B2 justice. Probably wouldn't be a huge amount of work for them either to rejig the Thunder Bay pattern to the B2 spec... (as I recall, this would mostly involve altering pocket configuration, lining change, and significantly enlarging the collar).

I'm a fan of the B-2 as well but it is apparently the most labour-intensive and difficult - not just sheepskin/shearling - but flight jacket to make. The construction is apparently not easy and requires a very skilled leather worker.

Shame more repros are not available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda