Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Kelso Rough Wear Reproduction

kiltie

Practically Family
Here is my recently acquired Rough Wear 27752 from Bill Kelso Mfg -

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_6318.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_6328.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_6324.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_6322.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_6319.jpg

The pictures above are right out of the box, and man is it a nice jacket!
The construction is fantastic, and the leather itself... Well, here's a picture of an authentic A-2 I took last weekend -

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_5857.jpg

very similar to this Bill Kelso jacket.

The color, seal, has a reddish undertone. I find this particularly neat, as I've recently learned that while many jackets were issued in what we call the russet color, they were often re-dyed in the field. The dye on this jacket has a built in sort of antiqued look, to my eye.
It came with a cool 'issue' certificate and even cooler, a tag on the zipper made to look like it's from the quartermaster.
It's instantly wearable, but I've been kneading it off and on for several hours and the collar is already starting to loosen up a good deal.
This weekend, I'll be sure and remember to post some pics of me wearing it, as well as the tags I mentioned. Right now though, I'm pleased as punch to be wearing it as I lay on the floor typing this. It is a summer jacket, after all...

Not incidentally, I must say the folks at Bill Kelso are great to deal with: Friendly, understanding, and prompt in all responses and dealing -

IMG_6318.jpg

Put the URL from each pic in between image tags. [ I m g ] URL [ / I m g ]
Above, remove all spaces in the example and you'll see the pics here.
Nice jacket! Congrats and enjoy it! :)

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Oh, that looks pretty cool. I really like the colour. But they call it Seal? No wonder they also have dark seal as well to choose from.

I have another question, does the size run small or normal?

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Oh, that looks pretty cool. I really like the colour. But they call it Seal? No wonder they also have dark seal as well to choose from.I have another question, does the size run small or normal?

While I still don't consider myself an A-2 guy, I did just order one of the BK "house" A-2's. One of the reasons, (in addition to the great price), was the seal color. I prefer the lighter seal to the dark seal.

Edward

Bartender
Are they still doing their house A2s at the lower price? I had been holding out for the contract repros when considering another A", as the house jackets were so much cheaper than an Aero after the last price rise (even moreso an ELC), but I had, probably naively, not figured on them needing to raise the price when the contract repros came out.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Are they still doing their house A2s at the lower price? I had been holding out for the contract repros when considering another A", as the house jackets were so much cheaper than an Aero after the last price rise (even moreso an ELC), but I had, probably naively, not figured on them needing to raise the price when the contract repros came out.

Yes, they are now 300 Euro, shipped. They were previously 400 Euro, shipped.

kiltie

Practically Family
Did you order the red lining custom?

While tending towards the red end of the spectrum, the liner is definitely a more orange color as you'd expect from an A-2. When I get some more pictures up, I'll try to be more aware of depicting that ( maybe hold something that's obviously red...? ).
As to the size, after having a couple of these: a US Authentic and a Real McCoys', I'll say this - the sizing is accurate. It's just that you're expected to be in GOOD shape. That is to say, across the chest is a really decent fit. Where the hang up is noticeable for me is under the arms. Just that little centimeter or two of fat below the armpits makes for a snug fit. This is more a product of the positioning of the armholes and diameter of the same.
These jackets are made for 20 year old kids coming off army training and maybe playing fewer video games... Unless you're going full custom, I think it's unreasonable to expect an authentic fit unless you take pretty good care of yourself. And I'll tell you - this thing will make me want to be more aware of that. It's more than a jacket: it's an investment in your well being ( insert smiley here ). So I think it would be wrong to say it's small, and more correctly, that you're expected to be in decent shape. I'll revisit this too when I post pics of me wearing it.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Many times, I've seen mention of the fit men who wore the A-2. There is a bit of truth to that, but another factor is that the young men who were issued these jackets had just come through the great depression. They were some skinny bastards!

KevG

New in Town
My house style jacket, just like Kiltie's here, is a stunning jacket

I'm sure its the RW pattern and the only difference I can see is that my jacket has the non repro zip and snappers

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, gentlemen, I'll look into the house sale... Regarding fit, are we talking Aero Thirties Halfbelt tight, or what? I'm very happy with a 42 in the Aero and ELC A2s I have, but in a GW I'd have to go up to a 44....

KevG

New in Town
My Aero Real Deal is 48 but I took a chance with the BK and ordered a 46 as that's my suit jacket size - and it fits perfect

The Aero is a stiffer/heavier hide so I think thats why both jackets fit well even tho they are two different sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR