Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Kelso Star A-2

Brettafett

One Too Many
That's the bottom line isn't it? I've got a stack of $100 bills on the table. Who am I going to give them to? They guys that I trust on all the points to get me my jacket, it's that simple.

100%
Though I have found none of the top makers to be foolproof.
So who wants my stack of bills?
I want the jacket to fit right, look right (like your photos suggest), have the promised quality and components, in the agreed upon time frame and will be sending at least 25 emails clarifying questions and details (to make sure alls in order). Am I asking to much for only $1000?

Last edited:
Yer not. I really want a new and exciting piece to add. The blue badassy hide looks great. Dark enough to get over the blue blues. Just not sure if I'll ever see it.
It would be nice for BK to chime in. Make me do it guys.

100%
Though I have found none of the top makers to be foolproof.
So who wants my stack of bills?
I want the jacket to fit right, look right (like your photos suggest), have the promised quality and components, in the agreed upon time frame and will be sending at least 25 emails clarifying questions and details (to make sure alls in order). Am I asking to much for only $1000?

Well, "quality and components" and "fit right and look right" are as always open to interpretation.
Re; "sending at least 25 emails", BK does note on their emails;

Also, please note, you make our life a lot easier if you say what you
want in 2 emails. We have customers who send us more than 50 emails
one page long each, and talk to us for months until they place their
order. While we enjoy a good conversation, it is practically
impossible to keep up and in the end becomes frustrating. Also, the
possibility that a mistake is made from our part is significantly
increased if you keep changing what you want in every email. Please
make up your mind first and then let us know. Please try to
make it as less confusing as possible. We are here to help, answer all
your questions, but we need your help too, to be more efficient. If
you want to socialize, please come to our facebook page. We 'd love to
hear your feedback and comments there.

Rockin' Dog

New in Town
Okay Fellas......
I received my new BK Roughwear 27752 two weeks ago. Fantastic jacket! ...and my experience with their customer service was excellent.
I'm in the process of posting up a review....unfortunately the first batch of photos didn't quite work due to camera issues...So I'll take some more pics in the next few days and you will all see.
Watch this space! ;)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
What a silly way to put it, but id say thay unfortunately its sound advice.
Less email traffic means less chance for crossed signals and jumbled orders. However, there's something to be said for customer service- and I will admit I am usually one to send at least 25-50 emails before the order is complete (just ask Holly @Aero or Vickie @GW!)

BK could make it a non-issue if they summarized orders before processing them with all the customers' requests, fit preference, mods, personal measurements, etc. then get the customer to confirm it all before proceeding with production and money transfer. Right??

Re; "sending at least 25 emails", BK does note on their emails;

Also, please note, you make our life a lot easier if you say what you
want in 2 emails. We have customers who send us more than 50 emails
one page long each, and talk to us for months until they place their
order. While we enjoy a good conversation, it is practically
impossible to keep up and in the end becomes frustrating. Also, the
possibility that a mistake is made from our part is significantly
increased if you keep changing what you want in every email. Please
make up your mind first and then let us know. Please try to
make it as less confusing as possible. We are here to help, answer all
your questions, but we need your help too, to be more efficient. If
you want to socialize, please come to our facebook page. We 'd love to
hear your feedback and comments there.

Last edited:

ausreenactor

One of the Regulars
Okay Fellas......
I received my new BK Roughwear 27752 two weeks ago. Fantastic jacket! ...and my experience with their customer service was excellent.
I'm in the process of posting up a review....unfortunately the first batch of photos didn't quite work due to camera issues...So I'll take some more pics in the next few days and you will all see.
Watch this space! ;)

Will do...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
What a silly way to put it, but id say thay unfortunately its sound advice.
Less email traffic means less chance for crossed signals and jumbled orders. However, there's something to be said for customer service- and I will admit I am usually one to send at least 25-50 emails before the order is complete (just ask Holly @Aero or Vickie @GW!)

BK could make it a non-issue if they summarized orders before processing them with all the customers' requests, fit preference, mods, personal measurements, etc. then get the customer to confirm it all before proceeding with production and money transfer. Right??

It's what Aero do, and certainly gives you the opportunity to do a final 'cordovan or brown' soul-search.:D

Brettafett

One Too Many
Personally, I have always tried to ask all my questions in the first mail, but in reality there will always be more.
Sometimes the responses are not very clear or half answered, leading to confusion, generating follow up or new questions. Sometimes new jackets or hides appear ;), current stock and availability of components... etc... hence more questions.
Also, how often have you guys been ambivalent about which jacket you are most interested in. Today its the Monarch. Next week it could be the Star... Now I have questions comparing them and which one would best fit my requirements incl fit etc...
I recon this back & forth is part of the service (within reason of course).
Also, after a dozen or so repros, one learns to ask questions. Its amazing how often miscommunications creep in.
Until I am satisfied I'm making the best choice possible and the maker is clear on the details of my request, I won't swipe that CCard.

The idea for a pre-make-up summary is a good one.

Also in house quality control (something I still feel these guys sometimes lack???). Someone to go over the details of the order, double check the jacket and give it a quick measurement... 5 mins... Sounds obvious, but I wonder how many of the top makers actually do that. Maybe they do, but randomly or only when time permits, but EVERY jacket should be checked before it leaves the factory.

I have had FOUR A-2s to date, from our top three or four makers, that arrived with stupid issues...
One sleeve longer than the other, wrong hide, asymmetrical offset collar, loose stitching x 2, stitching holes etc... Not acceptable for a $1k jacket.
A bit of a let down when you have paid postage and nasty import duties and now need to return it back for more fiddling.... P••••s me off.

Thanks... had my rant and hopefully didn't upset anybody, but if you are one of our jacket creators, please consider the above.
;) ;) ;)

Having some experience now, the advice I'd give myself is to base the communications on the length of time before my jacket will be made. I know from experience that I will change my mind 100 times if I have a year to wait. Best to ask once on the outset if what you want is possible, then just think about it for a lonnnnng time. When you get near the time to get it finalized, decide what you want and get your numbers, colors, hides, etc all decided.
I had an unreal number of emails for my first jacket(s) but as time goes by, I'm learning how to do fewer.
That said, I am hesitant to do business if I'm being scolded for such emails. Most folks are used to buying a $150 jacket on sale at the mall, and a $1000++ piece being made 1/2 a world away takes much trust. Patience and reason must come from both sides.

Answering multiple emails/questions, customers continually changing their minds would drive me nuts.
But, customers are part of the job. Every business has to find some middle ground that works.

Good communication goes a long way in building business and forestalling even more distracting emails in the future.
The old "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Most of my jackets were bought overseas via some emails. I've never rung any of the makers I've dealt with. 3-4 brief emails does it. I don't understated how an entire epistolary relationship can develop between merchant and customer. I feel very sorry Kelso and the other outfits - 50 emails is insanity.

Marv

A-List Customer
I have ordered jackets from all....ELC, Aero, BK and Goodwear and never had any problems with customer service being excellent from all parties.

wdw

One Too Many
Are the high emailers more or less likely to complain after they get the jacket?

I rented an apartment in NYC once which had a very negative review on VRBO, but in his response the owner pointed out that the moaner had sent over 50 emails before booking and that with hindsight he would never have been satisfied.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Most of my jackets were bought overseas via some emails. I've never rung any of the makers I've dealt with. 3-4 brief emails does it. I don't understated how an entire epistolary relationship can develop between merchant and customer. I feel very sorry Kelso and the other outfits - 50 emails is insanity.

+1

I've never sent more than probably three emails...and maybe one when nearing the estimated production time. Of course I fill out the on line order form first..and then a couple emails of personal discussion of confirmation about customization. I've always had my size figured out..hide..lining..etc. However ..any scolding by the manufacturer would quickly make me spend my money elsewhere in a heartbeat. It's not mandatory that I must suffer any kind of abuse. If they demand only a few emails..then list those strict rules in their advertising..and see what happens.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo