Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BK's Site Relaunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This that still the case though? I'm sure they make really nice jackets...comparable wth all the usual suspects. However, their prices have gone from pretty reasonable, when I was considering them I think I was quoted approx £580 or something in that ball park to now looking at £800!

That website must have cost hell of a lot to justify that sort of price increase lol

So from being slightly cheaper than an Aero to now being £100 more than an Aero premier jacket in their Liberty hide or over £1100 MORE if I want the Victory hide.....I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry at that?

Well put. My reaction was, "Oh, nicer website," and then, "Egads, those prices!" Well, the drums are beating again, the wanted posters going up, the vilification of this forum proceeding, all the while ignoring the positive comments made above and the general attempt here at fairness. You'd think by this time someone there would consider some PR advice, but there must be some overweaning ego involved and the cooler heads are kept quiet. Silly.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm not interested in buying from them because those prices are eye-watering and if I was going to spend that kind of coin I'd go the extra hog and go GW, but nor am I interested in the he-said-she-said kerfuffle which seems to waft around any BK discussion as it is frankly, after all these years, tiring and boring.

Saying that, and for the small amount it's worth, it's a better looking website which shows off their wares in a far better way and format.

Nice looking jackets on the website but I won't be pulling out the credit card. Then again I think I've reached saturation point for leather jackets and I'm spending money on other things.

Superfluous

nor am I interested in the he-said-she-said kerfuffle which seems to waft around any BK discussion

This is not a case of "he-said-she-said," which involves conflicting statements made by two different people ("he" and "she"). Rather, this is a case of "he said, and he later said something different." BK is itself making contradictory statements.

IMHO, a company's integrity, honesty and veracity are important considerations, particularly when the subject representations are central to the product being sold. Therefore, these issues, including the accuracy of written representations on the company's website, are worthy of discussion.

There was no discussion of BK for a long time on TFL. During that hiatus, BK had the opportunity to reflect on its prior practices, and to undertake a new approach. Unfortunately, BK did not use the down time wisely -- BK did not chart a new and more forthright path. Instead, BK thrust itself back into the limelight with a new website that resurrected and boldly affirmed many of BK's prior questionable practices.

Previously, most of BK's questionable practices were confined to its FB page, TFL, VLJ and private communications. With its new website, BK elevated its questionable practices to a new level, front and center in BK's marketing campaign, for all potential customers to read and rely upon. Rest assured that some unknowing customers will purchase BK jackets in reliance on BK's statements. These same customers will select BK over other manufacturers -- e.g., GW, Aero, Eastman and Himel -- based on BK's representations, which they will blindly trust and rely upon. Is that right? Is that fair?

IMHO, these issues are worthy of discussion and BK reopened the discussion with its new website.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
This is not a case of "he-said-she-said," which involves conflicting statements made by two different people ("he" and "she"). Rather, this is a case of "he said, and he later said something different." BK is itself making contradictory statements.

IMHO, a company's integrity, honesty and veracity are important considerations, particularly when the subject representations are central to the product being sold. Therefore, these issues, including the accuracy of written representations on the company's website, are worthy of discussion.

There was no discussion of BK for a long time on TFL. During that hiatus, BK had the opportunity to reflect on its prior practices, and to undertake a new approach. Unfortunately, BK did not use the down time wisely -- BK did not chart a new and more forthright path. Instead, BK thrust itself back into the limelight with a new website that resurrected and boldly affirmed many of BK's prior questionable practices.

Previously, most of BK's questionable practices were confined to its FB page, TFL, VLJ and private communications. With its new website, BK elevated its questionable practices to a new level, front and center in BK's marketing campaign, for all potential customers to read and rely upon. Rest assured that some unknowing customers will purchase BK jackets in reliance on BK's statements. These same customers will select BK over other manufacturers -- e.g., GW, Aero, Eastman and Himel -- based on BK's representations, which they will blindly trust and rely upon. Is that right? Is that fair?

IMHO, these issues are worthy of discussion and BK reopened the discussion with its new website.

Actually my post wasn't directed at your posts here at all but rather at the general hoofluff that has arisen whenever anything regarding BK is posted here. In the past there's been so many he-said-she-said arguments regarding BK and general argy-bargy that, for me at least, it's gotten terribly tiresome.

I merely think that I'd rather pay the little extra and have a GW and that all the panty-pulling that goes on in relation to BK seems to be swings and roundabouts, it goes round and round but never gets anywhere.

tropicalbob

The huffluff(?) happens because because BK goes ballistic when anyone remotely questions their hyperbole, and their immediate reaction is to attack the questioner. I don't really blame them: their prices are based on the representations that everything they do is the best in the world, their leather is the best in the world, and no one else can get it. Their ship is a hot-air balloon, and the last thing they want is someone who knows what they're talking about pointing out what's really inside. Are they good jackets? Nobody's saying they aren't. Are they worth what they're charging? Well, see Superfluous' comments above.

And what's sad is that they do make a nice looking jacket. I'd just never in good conscience be able to send them a check. And with the new prices, fuggetaboutit!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
And what's sad is that they do make a nice looking jacket. I'd just never in good conscience be able to send them a check. And with the new prices, fuggetaboutit!

And there you have hit the nail well and bloody truly on the head Butte!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
From swatches I’ve been sent recently from both Aero and Eastman the Vincenza from both appears to be the same leather, and even the writing on the back of the swatches seems to be in the same hand. It isn’t very heavy, and that isn’t what it’s about. It’s meant to drape the way period jackets did. Not to stand up by itself when new like Horween FQHH.

The Eastman Vintage HH is heavier and is a very nice looking leather, as is their FQHH which is as thick in the swatch I was sent as Horween CXL. It may even be from Horween. It seems identical to me. Again the writing on the back of the swatches seems to be in the same hand…..

I had a swatch from SB of their Clayton hide too, and the one I was sent is lighter still, but with the best grain of all of them. It would drape beautifully made up in the right jacket. Clayton make the leather for the Duke cricket ball which is the best ball, and lasts and takes a shine much longer than a Kookaburra. Sorry to all those who I’ve lost with the last couple of sentences.

Thanks for the reply.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm told that SB have downsized their operation again, and are down to one small room. So y'know, treasure that Clayton...

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

So anyone can buy the same leather as BK's Victory HH and it less expensive than Shinki?

Why aren't other maker using it? It is pretty nice stuff. Not like anything I've encountered. If it's not cost than I'm at a loss why it isn't being offered by others.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's one of the more reasonably priced ones, but I don't like the proximity of the pocket to the button placket. Could do with at least quarter of an inch.

pawineguy

One Too Many
So anyone can buy the same leather as BK's Victory HH and it less expensive than Shinki?

Why aren't other maker using it? It is pretty nice stuff. Not like anything I've encountered. If it's not cost than I'm at a loss why it isn't being offered by others.

I'm not sure that others don't... or very, very similar leathers. Look at this new Vincenza, which is the grainy type that looks very much like the hide on my Russet Sheene.

https://www.instagram.com/p/-z6nY9Mfn-/?taken-by=thurstonbros

AdeeC

Practically Family
Stayed away from the BK debate in the past but I just cannot believe the upcharge on that Victory hide. Costs more than a complete jacket in other hides for the upgrade alone. Either they have very limited quantities, pay a huge premium for it and can afford to be ultra exclusive or perhaps a reverse variation of the bait and switch advertising gimmick. Like when a bargain is advertised and you go the shop and the item is suddenly unavaliable and you get the hard sell to buy something similar but more expensive. In this case one shudders at the Victory price but think they are getting a bargain buying an already expensive lesser jacket.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR