Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BK's Site Relaunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
So anyone can buy the same leather as BK's Victory HH and it less expensive than Shinki?

Why aren't other maker using it? It is pretty nice stuff. Not like anything I've encountered. If it's not cost than I'm at a loss why it isn't being offered by others.

It could be a combination of availability, I know in the past they have run out for weeks/ months on end. I'm also wondering what the impact of the Greek economy has had on business? I wonder if Thedi has hiked their prices also?

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I'm told that SB have downsized their operation again, and are down to one small room. So y'know, treasure that Clayton...

Give it up, it’s become old and stale.

They just finished a collaboration with Barbour making their Phradeo jackets BTW, and I doubt you have seen the Clayton leather. But it is rather fine.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Doesn't anyone actually want a SB jacket in its own right, or have they been reduced to only making them for others? I can't remember the last time I saw one here, certainly not since they re-branded.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Doesn't anyone actually want a SB jacket in its own right, or have they been reduced to only making them for others? I can't remember the last time I saw one here, certainly not since they re-branded.

I bought one about three months ago and the wait was quite long and they were busy. I’m not surprised that no one posts here about buying from them though, are you? I mean I only mentioned them in passing on this thread and you jumped straight in. Not that there are all that many reviews or posting on any new leather here at the moment…. In fact the Outerwear forum is very quiet. Though I see it’s a little bit busier today.

I still have a lot more Aero coats and jackets than SB ones incidentally, and I bought a Shackleton just last month. I don’t care who I buy jackets from if I like them and they’re good value. I’m a customer not a fan. I don’t think you discovered good leather jackets until a couple of years ago did you? Didn’t you do a piece on Aero for the Scotsman in 2012 or something?

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I bought one about three months ago and the wait was quite long and they were busy. I’m not surprised that no one posts here about buying from them though, are you? I mean I only mentioned them in passing on this thread and you jumped straight in. Not that there are all that many reviews or posting on any new leather here at the moment…. In fact the Outerwear forum is very quiet. Though I see it’s a little bit busier today.

I still have a lot more Aero coats and jackets than SB ones incidentally, and I bought a Shackleton just last month. I don’t care who I buy jackets from if I like them and they’re good value. I’m a customer not a fan. I don’t think you discovered good leather jackets until a couple of years ago did you? Didn’t you do a piece on Aero for the Scotsman in 2012 or something?

I always find the 'I'm a customer, not a fan' odd, it's always deployed by the likes of Schitzo et al as if to suggest some sort of superiority to others who show some sort personal investment in the people they buy from. I also buy stuff from Buzz Rickson Real McCoy, Alpha and SJC, but if I'm going to throw down £700 for a jacket, I would much rather deal face-to-face with people who I trust and can rely on - the fact that I've never sold on one that was made for me suggests it's a sound approach... let's face it, buying from SB is, for the best part, still buying something that is made using stolen intellectual property. You may not care, but I do, and that's fine, you are, as you say, just a customer and that is your lookout.
I'm not sure the point about my original article is - I'm a journalist, it's in my nature to take an in things and if I feel like it, pursue it my spare time - I have tickets for a private screening of Star Wars, but if it sucks, I'll certainly warn everyone else, that's the journalist omerta.
Anyway, to bring this back to BK, has anyone been tempted by any of these new offerings? It's occurred to me that the inflated price is to pay for the website overhaul and that terrifying fanfare at the beginning.
Just for full disclosure, here's the offending article:
http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/culture/fashion/interview-ken-calder-on-his-aero-empire-1-2671629

Otter

One Too Many
Sloan,

PM me and let me know if that film sucks or not !

Back on topic, well, topic 'ish. The whole AL/SB issues is about as emotionally charged here as the topic of burried Burmese Spitfires over on Flypast Forum, even mention it over there and bang, closed thread.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Mind you, at this rate, BK's relaunch is going about as well as SB's, so there are parallels...

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I always find the 'I'm a customer, not a fan' odd, it's always deployed by the likes of Schitzo et al as if to suggest some sort of superiority to others who show some sort personal investment in the people they buy from. I also buy stuff from Buzz Rickson Real McCoy, Alpha and SJC, but if I'm going to throw down £700 for a jacket, I would much rather deal face-to-face with people who I trust and can rely on - the fact that I've never sold on one that was made for me suggests it's a sound approach... let's face it, buying from SB is, for the best part, still buying something that is made using stolen intellectual property. You may not care, but I do, and that's fine, you are, as you say, just a customer and that is your lookout.
I'm not sure the point about my original article is - I'm a journalist, it's in my nature to take an in things and if I feel like it, pursue it my spare time - I have tickets for a private screening of Star Wars, but if it sucks, I'll certainly warn everyone else, that's the journalist omerta.
Anyway, to bring this back to BK, has anyone been tempted by any of these new offerings? It's occurred to me that the inflated price is to pay for the website overhaul and that terrifying fanfare at the beginning.
Just for full disclosure, here's the offending article:
http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/culture/fashion/interview-ken-calder-on-his-aero-empire-1-2671629

No superiority intended or implied in being a customer and not a fan. Just a fact. If any intellectual property was stolen it will no doubt be dealt with in the appropriate place and not here. Lots of people make claims about that sort of thing, including Apple and Samsung in their rather more high level court battles. Does it stop you buying from those companies? Personally I find your assertions of high moral purpose in the rivalry of two clothing companies both pretentious and bogus.

Anyway this is not about SB and as I’ve already written I just referred to them in passing when I was posting on leathers. So no more on that in this thread from me. But can you can stop yourself from posting about them?

I always find the 'I'm a customer, not a fan' odd, it's always deployed by the likes of Schitzo et al as if to suggest some sort of superiority to others who show some sort personal investment in the people they buy from.

True that. Sure becomes old and tired by the few who can't help themselves with always using this approach. Guess by inserting their indifference into the conversation makes them feel that they've taken others down a notch or two.

Anyway this is not about SB and as I’ve already written I just referred to them in passing when I was posting on leathers. So no more on that in this thread from me. But can you can stop yourself from posting about them?

Would be nice if you dropped the aggression here. PM someone if you have an issue, but this really is old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda