Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bladerunner was actually set in Seattle

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Interesting thing about Bladerunner. Weather you believe in global warming or dramatic weather shifts in short spans of time, and whatever you see as the future of immigration, Bladerunner is interesting in how it anticipates an LA in which immigration has produced a very different culture with a patois of several languages, and it anticipates an LA where it rains all the time.

However, I would suggest that they actually took their inspiration from Seattle. It has been a long rainy winter and has been raining for days. It is just gray and dark and wet all day today and it kind of bums me out sometimes.

When I lived in SF, I loved the weather, a few days of fog, a few days of rain, a few days of sun. And I knew I could wear my new overcoat out sometime that week, and could also drive my convertible with the top down at least one or two days that week. So cool.

In Seattle we have amazing great summers and mild winters. But it just rains and rains and rains. I am starting to think that Bladerunner was actually set in Seattle. But without the cool bazaars and exotic robot snake dancers.

Just a litle rant to blow off steam.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Hey, this strange yellow ball came out in the sky today. I don't know what it is and it is a little frightening. But it makes me feel good somehow.

Hondo

One Too Many
Settle it for me

Okay I have the (Now old) Directors cut of Bladerunner, plus old VHS tape, do those of you own the newer digitalized DVD actually advise even with lost scenes, recommend buying New version? I want me money well spent!!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Hondo said:
Okay I have the (Now old) Directors cut of Bladerunner, plus old VHS tape, do those of you own the newer digitalized DVD actually advise even with lost scenes, recommend buying New version? I want me money well spent!!

I think there might be a thread or two on that with recent opinions. Your question is not so likely to get seen on this thread.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
I loved Washington!!!

I was stationed at Ft. Lewis, near Tacoma from the better part of 89-92...I'm sure I spent a fortune in Seattle and also had the time of my life there.... Even in the rain!!!

Never got to see the underground city though.....Just every underground club and bar!!! And talk about leather jacket and light T-coat weather.....

God I loved that town!!!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Underground

For those who don't know what Badluck Brody is referring to, Seattle's a waterfront town, partially built on old mudflats, fill and lowlands that would periodically flood. After "the Great Fire of 1889" the city fathers made long-term plans for raising the streets above floodstage and regrading (lowering) some of the higher hills over the following decades. Most new buildings downtown were built with those higher street-levels taken into account in the plans. When the downtown streets were raised to the higher levels, the former 2nd and in some cases even 3rd stories of the businesses became street level, and the original lower floors became basement levels. You can take "the Underground Tour" to see what's below the streets and the original facades and storefronts - at one time ground level, now underground. And in other areas of the city, hills were lowered - friends live in a condo that was orignally at street level, the basements of which are now ground-level shops after the lowering of part of Capitol Hill. Other areas were lowered even more dramatically - I can't find the photo I was looking for, but this one shows part of a 100' high hill that was washed away as part of the process. The house in the middle's in the process of being moved to another location.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
Badluck Brody said:
I was stationed at Ft. Lewis, near Tacoma from the better part of 89-92...I'm sure I spent a fortune in Seattle and also had the time of my life there.... Even in the rain!!!

Never got to see the underground city though.....Just every underground club and bar!!! And talk about leather jacket and light T-coat weather.....

God I loved that town!!!

I think the photo you are looking for is the Denny regrade. I couldn't find it either.

Being a native of Seattle, you learn to not let the rain impede your activities. Properly explored, there are many great places to discover. They may not be as condensed as SF, but they are there.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
reetpleat said:
It has been a long rainy winter and has been raining for days.

Winter is only a few days old!
;)
But I know what you mean, the late fall has been miserable here in NYC as well. Our temps have been below average & its felt like winter with snow as well as rain.
Perhaps the actual winter will bring us some respite.

I had a friend who moved to Seattle, but left after two years. Her first winter got half the usual rainfall, the next brought twice the precipitation. I suppose it depends on whether or not ElNino or LaNina is blowing that year.

As for the rain in Bladerunner, its an interesting affectation from detective movies. Those rainy streets look great for making a city shimmer. But the comment that really gets me is when Deckard comments on the room being too bright for the VoigtKampff test.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
If it ain't raining....We ain't.....

We used to live in that sh-tuff, sometimes 24-7.... I also remember the huge ant hills!!!

But I've never seen such a perfect area!!!

In the summer we could either go to the beach for some sand or go to the mountain for some snow!!

I don't remember any humidity and the air was clean!!!

Except the aroma of Tacoma near Puget Sound!!! You never forget that pulp factory sent!!!

I'd go back in a second, if I had the chance!!!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Badluck Brody said:
We used to live in that sh-tuff, sometimes 24-7.... I also remember the huge ant hills!!!

But I've never seen such a perfect area!!!

In the summer we could either go to the beach for some sand or go to the mountain for some snow!!

I don't remember any humidity and the air was clean!!!

Except the aroma of Tacoma near Puget Sound!!! You never forget that pulp factory sent!!!

I'd go back in a second, if I had the chance!!!

Oh, it is nice in some ways. Certainly beautiful nature, old growth forests, mountains, lakes, ocean and sound. No humidity in summer. No or not much snow in winter. Not as expensive as LA or San francisco.

I don't think there is much snow in the summer though. Maybe at the top of Mount Rainier. But Vancouver is known as the place you can ski in the morning and swim in the afternoon. They have some big mountain nearby.

the skiing or snowboarding is pretty good here at a number of sites within an hour or two from Seattle. Lots of hiking too.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Constant grey and drizzle in the winter. Which brings to mind London 2008, Rutger Hauer and "Split Second".

I liked Seattle, if I couldn't live here I'd live there.

Reet,

I will accept bribes to ensure that never happens. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy