Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

Feraud

Bartender
I assumed that Richard knew that Nucky had killed Jimmy, but understood that it was just business: That Jimmy was simply a soldier on the losing side who understood the risks of his position, and realized that he had crossed a line with Nucky where no other ending was possible.

Yes, this what I took away from that scene too.

TallCrownDave

New in Town
I assumed that Richard knew that Nucky had killed Jimmy, but understood that it was just business: That Jimmy was simply a soldier on the losing side who understood the risks of his position, and realized that he had crossed a line with Nucky where no other ending was possible. Alternatively, Angela - whom Richard clearly loved - was just senseless collateral damage that had orphaned little Tommy for no good reason, and he killed Munya for vengeance.

This assumption is accurate... This scene already played out between Nucky and Richard and it was Richard who said that Jimmy was a soldier and lost. Richard tells Nucky that he (Nucky) was good to him and that they are all good.

Dave

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah yes yes......I guess what I got from that was Richard acknowledged that Nucky and Jimmy were on the outs at the end, but not that he knew for sure that Nucky pulled the trigger.

TallCrownDave

New in Town
Ah yes yes......I guess what I got from that was Richard acknowledged that Nucky and Jimmy were on the outs at the end, but not that he knew for sure that Nucky pulled the trigger.

I don't remember the scene well enough to recall whether Nucky admits or implies that he was the trigger man..I don't think he does. It was certainly clear to the both of them that Nucky was responsible for Jimmy's death.

Dave

(And apparently, I'm one of the few fans here who still really likes Margaret - despite her not having a decent plot since the first season. I'm still hoping they'll do something interesting with her again.)

Count me in your number, Strange. Margaret is a self-interested character, no doubt, but certainly no more so than the other major characters. If Nucky feels entitled to a younger, more heart-stirring paramour, so does she. So there, Old Man.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the writers make their relationship "work" from this point forward. Illusions gradually fall by the wayside in almost all intimate relationships, some less gradually than others. With Margaret and Enoch, the make-believe is gone for good. Let's see what's left after that.

CharleneC

Familiar Face
There is a lot of speculation about what will happen with Richard. I hope he doesn't become too prominent. He is a very one dimensional character compared to Jimmy (for example). He has been limited to the "wounded warrior" and it is not likely he will blossom into much more. I think he will take his own life in a fit of depression over his past actions.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
No if Harrow is to have happiness with his girl and the boy he cannot be a gun for hire... I don't think she'll stand for it. He can kill in self defense or in defense of family and friends but NOT for pay. Every person, including the thug in Chi-Town that he's killed since he's been on the show was for PERSONAL reasons not for pay. Unlike Nucky he'll not cross that Rubicon. As for my hatred of Margeret, that was a recent development. I loved when she duped the Feds and got Nucky's records out. There she was purposefull and powerfull and fully developed. All this religious soul searching though leaves me flat. Nucky gave her and her kids, someone elses kids I might add, the best life they'd ever known... You stole from this man, cheated on him and KNEW he'd done murder for you and NOW you get morals? Yeah... right.

Worf

Nucky gave her and her kids, someone elses kids I might add, the best life they'd ever known... You stole from this man, cheated on him and KNEW he'd done murder for you and NOW you get morals? Yeah... right.

Worf

All of that and she cheated on Nucky and he still was willing to take her back. Yes, he cheated on her first but hey, forgiveness is a two way street and his daliance was offed as well.
Good riddance to her if she doesn't come back.:

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All of that and she cheated on Nucky and he still was willing to take her back. Yes, he cheated on her first but hey, forgiveness is a two way street and his daliance was offed as well.
Good riddance to her if she doesn't come back.:

Actually she slept with Owen before Nucky started with Billie....

Having read Terence Winter on Margaret she has choosen not to be with Nucky anymore so that ship has sailed and the she is gone.
Her distaste of Nucky is like Worf says twisted and she has benifited from Nucky more than most.
margate-sands/interview/terence-winter

I dunno. Their relationship "as we know it is effectively over," he says. But I don't think that means that her character has been written out of the story (I don't know that it doesn't mean that either, of course).

Even these days, lots and lots of people remain in loveless marriages. That was an even more common phenomenon nine decades ago, I'd imagine, seeing how divorces were harder to obtain and carried a much nastier social stigma.

Maybe the character is gone, but I think that would be a mistake on the writers' part. Nucky, in the immediate aftermath of what can only be considered a victory (from a "business" perspective), can't win back his wife. Lots of dramatic potential there.

Doublegun

Practically Family
As for Gillian, I wonder if her addiction to heroin will lead her down a path of redemption or destruction. Perhaps this is how she and Nucky will connect: two very damaged souls.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Yes indeed. That reminder of Nucky's contribution to the development of the fine woman Gillian grew up to be was quite fitting. Nucky arranged her introduction to the Commodore when she was, what?, 14? And he killed her son. Much as Jimmy left him with little choice, he still killed him, and Gillian knows that, even if she doesn't know that.
."

It has been assumed that Gillian was 13 or 14, but from the heroin induced flashback, it sounds like she was closer to 12. Yeesh.

BE needs Gillian, in part because she (as Jimmy previously had) is a reminder of Nucky's "original sin." All of the storylines regarding Nucky's father, his attempts to care for and guide Jimmy, and his parenting of Margaret's kids harken back to this.

Also, as much as I like Richard, I think this season's finale is a nice sendoff and conclusion to his story arc. The fate of his relationship to Julia is left a bit ambiguous, but I get better sense of closure not knowing what could happen next for him than having him casually shot or stabbed to move along a new characters plotline in season 4.

Last edited:

Stormy

A-List Customer
DARN ... I still don't know for certain if Babette was killed in the explosion. I know Eddie Cantor's still around, as he's one of the real-lifers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner