• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Books about the Looks

Discussion in 'Beauty' started by Lady Day, May 6, 2007.

1. Marla

Marla A-List Customer

Has Forties Fashion: From Siren Suits to the New Look been mentioned? It's worthy of mention because it is quite possibly the best book on '40s fashion I have ever read. I wish Walford would write a book like this for every decade of the Golden Era. lol

It's amazing, with large colorful photographs of vintage women's clothes and very detailed information on how the war affected fashion.

[​IMG]

2. Jhones Kenly

Jhones Kenly Banned

I search on eBay but couldn't fine. Can anyone give me link?

3. Loveru

Loveru New in Town

Why no downloads?

4. Copyright issues. No one wants to get into trouble :)

BTW welcome to The Lounge.

5. Loveru

Loveru New in Town

thanks lolly_loisides :)
    but surely theyre is plenty of stuff that are public domain, or finished theyre copyright?

6. angeljenny

angeljenny A-List Customer

I have a few books that I find interesting and inspiring!

Vintage Hairstyling by Lauren Rennells

Retro Makeup by Lauren Rennells

Gil Elvgren by Taschen

The 1950's Look by Mike Brown - want the 40's one too

The Bombshell Manual of Style by Laren Stover

The Magic Key to Charm by Eileen Ashcroft

The Fascinating Girl by Helen Andelin

How to be Adored by Caroline Cox

Secrets of Poise, Personality and Model Beauty by John Robert Powers

The Woman You Want To Be by Margery Wilson

Secrets of Charm by John Robert Powers and Mary Sue Miller

Glorify Yourself - a collection of magazines from a series in the 1950's

A Guide to Elegance by Geneviere Antonine Dariaux

I am looking for vintage books with photographs of famous film actresses next.

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Wow! Any pix?

8. Nice list of books, I should look them up

9. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

It's highly unlikely - Rights to intellectual property are exclusive to the author and do not necessarily expire, even upon their death.

I need to have Retro Make-up by Lauren Rennells! Now that the postal strike is over, I should have it soon :D

10. angeljenny

It is cute! It has back ground information, the photographs are nice and even I can follow the makeup steps! The eye liner needs a lot more practise thought!

11. Smuterella posted a review of one of the looks today - which has pretty much convinced me that I need to have it too!

12. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

I got Retro Make-up today! I've already devoured half the book. It is so fantastic, there are pieces of history in there I never knew of :)

13. HepKitty

HepKitty One Too Many

it's been on my wish list for ages, time to fix that problem huh?

14. Lenore

Lenore Practically Family

I just came to this thread to ask if anyone had this book, and what they thought... Guess I should pick it up!

15. C-dot

C-dot Call Me a Cab

Highly recommended! I've turned myself into Edie Sedgwick, and thats only the 60's section! :)

16. angeljenny

Bought the Art and Craft of Hairdressing - HUGE book and perhaps it will turn out to be a bit technical for me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is the 4th edition I think from 1958.

It covers gentleman's hairdressing, ladies' hairdressing, waving the hair, hair styling, art applied to hairdressing, hair colouring, children's hairdressing, historical hairdressing, theatrical hair and make up, cinema and television make up, treatments for the hair and scalp, trichology, and lots of business stuff like wages, advertising and designing a salon.

17. I reiceved my style me vintage make up book by Katie Reynolds yesterday and it is great,
    if you like to know more about history of make up you should buy Lauren's book but this book has some more style's in it and they are more detailed,
    from the '20's to the 80's I love it!!!

18. lauryn

lauryn New in Town

This book should indeed have a place in each bookshelf! Any woman should read it and take the advice! Great looks, great photos, great pieces of advice and great actresses!

19. jenicamalaya

jenicamalaya New in Town

Today in the market so many books are available that specify good looking tips and how to care of your skin, hair and body. These books gives all information according to nature of different types of hair and skin.