Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
thought I'd throw my Bowtie pics into the mix.

JBOwner-vi.jpg

bboytellinghimoff-vi.jpg

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I was hoping someone would mention Bing Crosby. He is the reason I wear bow ties. (pics to come) I own...10 bow ties. which I call my beau ties.

I wear them all the time (I smoke a pipe on occassion so I try to stay as close to him as possible)

I will post pics soon. Lots of them, pics of hats, shoes, suits (me in them) etc

P.S. I HAVE to find that bow tie that Bogey wears in the second pic. That is... well it makes me speechless

Wild Root

Gone Home
I have a dark green with white polka dots bow tie from the 40's. Looks much like one I have seen Bing wear with a suit in a sheet music photo. I call it my Bing tie.

Bing is one of my favorite crooners! Way smoother then most I have heard. I really like his early recordings from 1928 to 1938. I like Frank Sinatra, but only from 1938 to 1945.

Regards,

Root.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bow tie resources

I've got about 20 bows. A friend from college wore them and inspired me, but a guy from Yale taught me how to tie one at a summer in Oxford. Mentioned already have been Brooks Brothers and Ben Silver.

My favorite bows come from Hanauer. I also have ties from Beau Ties of Vermont, and, already linked, The Bow Tie Club. I want to try some from J Press.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well boys, I see you prefer the new bowties. As for me, I find vintage better looking and classier in shooting for a vintage look. The bow ties of the 30's and 40's had different looks. Most of them had a dimond shape at the end. I have a hanger full of 1930's and 40's original bowties. I have never been a clip on man and I could care less for them.

Take a look at these fine specimens!

Root.

Early Frank Sinatra from 1943 and 45.

050.jpg

Fred Astaire 1940.

091.jpg

010.jpg

And now from 1926,Valentino!

02.jpg

Now, Bob Crosby, (Bing's Brother) and Doris Day.

048.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Several of my Hanauer ties have diamond points on the end. Other makers certainly offer them. I don't strive for a vintage look per se, although at its best '30s attire set the modern standard.

Another good option for bow ties, although I've not tried them is Carrot & Gibbs of Colorado.

Wild Root

Gone Home
That's cool Dave! Good to see they still make them. However, the prints of vintage ties just aren't made any longer. Like, art deco prints and such. I have a few that are really nice that aren't copied today.

Root.

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
I wear bowties on occassion, but not all that often. Wearing a uniform to work everyday kinda prevents picking your own clothes... kinda stinks too. I've always tied my own bowties. I take great pride in it. Remember, part of the art of bowties is the imperfect knot. It is what shows the real character.

Mike

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I recently have been thinking of the vest/bow tie interface. Thinking of bow ties as something you wear with a vest or, conversely, of vests as something that you wear with bow ties. (Obviously a regular tie with a vest would be suboptimal because the vest conceals it.)

In this context, it would be neither the bow tie itself nor the vest itself that matters but rather the combined effect of both.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I understand that most men that wear a vest think its wrong or incorrect to wear a neck tie with it because the vest covers up the tie. Well, we must remember that the neck tie or bow ties were and are still accessories to the outfit. A man didn't wear a suit so he could show off his tie like they do today. Today neck ties have football teams, cartoons or what have you printed on them. That's why most men wear their coats open, or just forget the whole coat together.

I wear a neck tie to accent my outfit. I don't wear an out fit to accent the tie. Bow ties to me look best with a full three piece suit, but works well with a two piece suit as well. The coatless bow tie with slacks and vest looks to me like some parking lot jockey's outfit. But, that's just me.

Root.

Here is a good shot of a three piece suit with a neck tie that James Cagney is sporting. I rather like this look.

cagney8.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I think the bow tie looks best when the opening in the front of the jacket is higher.

The standard necktie and vest is a favourite look of mine, and I could care less if the whole tie can be seen or not. I could have a nice stripe pattern or some blocks on the tie, there is still enough visible in the few inches between the tie and the vest to satiate my need to look good. The tie is there to accentuate the pallet and not to be my focal point (that is for my socks).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21