Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Tucker Carlson bring back your bow ties!

As an astute devout capitalist I of course as a duty of my job watched MSNBC and Fox Financial and CBS Market Watch and Bloomberg News, carried and read the Wallstreet Journal (It's getting better again) and Baron's.

The Daily Show and the Colbert Report are fun to watch, though in all these information and spin houses there was a little constant that I liked.

Tucker Carlson's bow ties.

Bring them back!

So he's a little too 80's old prep and needs more fitted jackets... some waist suppression would be nice, though You were our man on the scene unafraid to take the boredom off the networks. Bring back the bowties.

200506_tuckercarlson.jpg
tucker-carlson.jpg

carlson140.jpg
tc1.jpg

I still have mine in the outfit rotation.
929560272_l.jpg

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Agreed. I have about eight bowties and wear them in regular rotation, probably at least one or two days out of the six each week that I'm in a tie. Bowties are great. They look sharp, their horizontal lines can make your shoulders seem broader and more muscular, and they're well-mannered--they never drop into your soup.

When I first started wearing them the most common comment I got was that I looked like "that young guy on Crossfire" (Carlson).

Join the bowtie revolution!

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've never really liked TC for whatever reason. Something about him always got on my nerves. But yesterday I did have my bowtie on:

p1010254wb6.jpg

Vintage paisley, "The Original AdjustoTie".

moustache

Practically Family
Same

Orgetorix said:
Agreed. I have about eight bowties and wear them in regular rotation, probably at least one or two days out of the six each week that I'm in a tie. Bowties are great. They look sharp, their horizontal lines can make your shoulders seem broader and more muscular, and they're well-mannered--they never drop into your soup.

When I first started wearing them the most common comment I got was that I looked like "that young guy on Crossfire" (Carlson).

Join the bowtie revolution!

I'm very similar in my bowtie rotation.I have 12 and wear them on monday and friday at work.The weekends are almost always bowties days.
And i'm always looking for a new tie on epray.

JD

Benny Holiday

Bow tie shapes?

Gentlemen,

What bow tie shapes were the most prevalent in the Golden Era?

Thanks to JD (Moustache), I've been perusing the Bow Tie Club website and have seen some very nice, almost deco patterns in some of their ties. Being new to the concept of wearing a bow tie, I noticed the company sells their ties in thre shapes: butterfly, double-point, and straight edge. From what I've seen in terms of vintage bow ties thus far (it isn't much!), the double point and straight edge seem more 30's-40's. Am I correct in that view?

Many thanks to JD for posting a link to that site in the Pocket Squares thread,
and thanks in advance for your advice, gents.

moustache

Practically Family
Good day sir!

Glad to hear of your new passion Benny ol' chap!Seems to me and my book on ties by Sarah Gibbings(The Tie by Sarah Gibbings-ISBN 0-8120-6199-3)that the prevelent styles are:batwing,butterfly and diamond shape.Not too far from today's variety. Of course,all were tie-it-yourself.No pre-tied bow ties then(thank goodness!).
I like the slimmer butterfly styles myself and also the diamond point style.Not as easy to find the diamond points i have noticed.I own a delightful green floral Carrot and Gibbs diamond that is the cats pajamas!! Goes well with most everything.
Here is a photo of the Carrot and Gibbs:

t21small.jpg

t31small.jpg

And a few newer ties i have found over the last month.

t11small.jpg

finally, a few more from my collection of bow ties.

myties.jpg
And

I found a few at thrift stores and some on ebay.We have a small vintage store in Portland that has a decent selection of them as well.

Hope this helps.

JD

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
names

I've heard the straight bowtie (constant width) called a club tie.
In the 40s anyway, the diamond-end was sometimes called a Sinatra tie.
I even own a couple diamond-end club ties (one formal, one rep striped).

griffer

Practically Family
Can't wait to reap the fruits of this thread.

I am a big fan of carrot and gibbs. I have also been getting the Beau Ties catalog for a while, but I am hard pressed to find any I like.

I stay away from the bat wings. To large. But I don't like my Brooks ties too much either, since they seem stingy and narrow to me.

At one time, somebody told there was a company that would take your lonf ties and turn them into bow ties, but I never found the company.

Ideas?

undertaker

Practically Family
Conversions

griffer said:

I am a big fan of carrot and gibbs. I have also been getting the Beau Ties catalog for a while, but I am hard pressed to find any I like.

I stay away from the bat wings. To large. But I don't like my Brooks ties too much either, since they seem stingy and narrow to me.

At one time, somebody told there was a company that would take your lonf ties and turn them into bow ties, but I never found the company.

Ideas?

You might go to the Beau Ties of Vermont Website, they will cut your long ties into bows for about $30.00 plus shipping. I have a friend who had them to cut some and they look really good.

For What It's Worth,
J.S.

moustache

Practically Family
Hmmmm

griffer said:

Ideas?

If i recall,either Beau Ties or Bow Tie Club will perform said service.
Bat wings ARE too large.I like the butterfly style at about
2" or so.Maybe a wee bit larger.
Carrot and Gibbs are very well made but ,like Robert Talbott,just too expensive.

JD

griffer

Practically Family
undertaker said:
You might go to the Beau Ties of Vermont Website, they will cut your long ties into bows for about $30.00 plus shipping. I have a friend who had them to cut some and they look really good.

For What It's Worth,
J.S.

mucho gracias. i flip through their catalog so fast i never noticed that they did that.

time to ravage the back catalog of long ties.

Butterfly as well, and what is this too expensive malarkey??

koopkooper

Practically Family
Benny I'd like to see you in at Sinatra style floppy tie.
I've considered a bow tie but I have a feeling I'd end up looking like Dr Kinsey.

I do own a black 30's bow tie that my Grandfather gave me, it's been worn with my dinner suit on numerous occasions and is in good shape.
He used to wear it with his dinner suit when he attended Masonic lodge meetings.

Benny Holiday

Thanks Gents!

Great collection JD! I've been keeping an eye out on the 'bay, but the few vintage bow ties that aren't clip-ons tend to be USA-shipping only. The Bow Tie Club does have some retro patterns, I think I'll purchase a couple early next year and see how I look with them on. They'll be tie-it-yourself numbers, of course!

griffer

Practically Family
Fletch said:
...*According to Wikipedia, a batwing is not just a big butterfly. It is named for the shape of a cricket bat (not the flying rodent).

I live to learn this kinda stuff! Thanks, Fletch.

I need more polka dots, Sinatra, not the last one.

J.B.

Practically Family
My absolute favorite source for bow ties is MaineBows.com.

I especially enjoy being able to deal directly with the owner who BTW is also the seamstress behind the machine that actually makes the ties! :)

She is a super-good communicator and offers great patterns in a myriad of styles/widths -- more than I've seen anywhere on the WWW -- including a nifty "Western" type style. Pricing is excellent, and the process from sewing to shipping is lightning-fast! She has been sewing them for over 12 years?! :eek:

MaineBows.com also offers "points" (like Der Bingle...) as an option on her bows and can also do your four-in-hand conversions to bow ties if desired.

Oh, other than being a happy customer -- I have no affiliation with MaineBows.com.

moustache

Practically Family
Hmmmm

griffer said:
mucho gracias. i flip through their catalog so fast i never noticed that they did that.

time to ravage the back catalog of long ties.

Butterfly as well, and what is this too expensive malarkey??

Too expensive to me is $85 for a small bit o' fabric around your neck!!
At my salary(not much better than McD's)one cannot afford ties at that level and still eat,pay rent.
Thats the malarkey i'm speaking of.

JD

griffer

Practically Family
moustache said:
Too expensive to me is $85 for a small bit o' fabric around your neck!!
At my salary(not much better than McD's)one cannot afford ties at that level and still eat,pay rent.
Thats the malarkey i'm speaking of.

JD

Oh, didn't mean to touch a nerve...just joshin' you.

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner