Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim trimming

Anybody know where a person can get a good price on a rounding jack? Jim in SLC has some of his own manufacture still available, I understand, but he charges something more than $300. I don't doubt that he has to charge that much to make the endeavor worth his while. He's building the things from scratch, after all. But I'm really hoping to find a lower price on what may indeed be a lesser tool. Just so long as it gives a clean, even cut without too much hassle, it would work for me. It's not that I expect to ever be cutting several brims a day.

I could also use one of those little brim trimmer gizmos, Boston Brim Cutters, I believe they're called. Anyone know where I might find a good price?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Boston Brim Trimmers...

Bostonbrim.jpg

A tack shop should be able to order one for about $50 in either 1/8", 1/4" or 1/2". I contacted the manufactuer, though they wouldn't sell one directly to me they did hook me up w/ an area retailer.

Daniel

Familiar Face
I trimmed down two Stetsons by using a jerry-rigged protractor to mark a line with a pencil on the underside. I then used an X-acto knife to carefully trim using the line, and smoothed out the edge with sandpaper.

It looks fine.

It comes as no surprise that many people are steadier of hand, and sharper of eye, than I am. If I had more faith in my own ability to consistently produce a clean, even brim cut with scissors, I wouldn't bother hunting down a rounding jack. My fear is that I'll be like the fellow who levels his four-legged dining table and ends up with a coffee table.

Yes, I know that more than a few here have successfully used scissors and sandpaper and/or a small plane. And I may indeed have to resort to that method myself, but it'll be very slow going. Having attempted hat renovation work without the proper tools (blocks, flanges, etc.), and then with that stuff, well, I've learned the virtue of the right equipment for the job. It's not that I need all the industrial grade stuff that a busy hat shop couldn't do without (I can iron and pounce without motorized equipment, for instance, and flange a brim without a heated sandbag), but I want stuff that will help me do a clean, "professional" job -- something I'd be proud to take to show and tell.

We can take inspiration from Marc Kitter, he of Adventurebilt Deluxe fame, who makes hats in his kitchen. (He used to, anyway. Maybe he's since moved into other quarters. I wouldn't know either way.) Virtually all in a position to have an informed opinion agree that his are among the finest hats available these days. Marc uses a homemade rounding jack (looks like a real good one), although he does finish the dimensional cut with a pair of high-quality bonsai scissors. But, judging from everything else he's posted in that lovely tutorial of his over at COW, the fellow brings to the exercise considerably more innate skill and/or applicable experience than I ever will.

So the question remains ... anyone have any ideas where a rounding jack might be had for less-stratospheric sums? Any of our handier brethren feel up to making them?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Tony, I was at B&L a few weeks ago and asked Kathy about your quest. She showed me a hand made rounding jack at a bit more than half the price of JW and obviously, had one in stock. It looks great and I'm tempted to buy one myself as a backup. She also stocks brim cutters so give her a call. If you don't have the number anymore, just PM me & I'll share it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats