Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British MP ties one on.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Not really what I'd call a nice looking tie, but it's necktie nonetheless. These things are gradually disappearing, or so it seems. Enjoy the bit of popularity it has left before it may be labelled an anachronism, maybe twenty or thirty years from now. I'm hoping more people choose to wear ties though.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
What's next for the MP.......

071908BF.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Gah. When I rule the world, novelty musical ties will be strictly controlled..... Not worthy of being a news item, I suppose, unless from a comment angle that one might have good grounds to question the suitability of any MP from any party who thought this was appropriate for wear in the House.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Mmmh. Some tie is better than no tie. Or not. :D

Personally, I think novelty ties have no place in bussiness or official ocassions (neither loud ties, btw); if you like them, reserve them for leisure purposes.

Carnage

One of the Regulars
That is an utterly vile tie. Far be it for me to suggest people should be executed for even owning something like that, but they should.

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
To put into perspective... IT....IS....A....FRIGGIN....TIE ! All the worlds' ills; crooked politicians, terrorists and sex scandals and this tie is an issue? Some pretty nice ties I'm sure on Enron and BP execs.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Your comment begs the question: Why are you here!?!?

Why am I here? As in, the forums, or this thread? This thread, because it's a rather silly news article of no importance. The forums, because it's not "The Tie Lounge" so I'm not obligated to like ties. I like fedoras, so I'm alright, I think.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, nothin' wrong with liking hats but not liking ties.
Of course, that puts you in the same league as what's his name over in Iran, Amadinnerjacket thingy. But still, I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it!

Pompidou

One Too Many
Yeah, nothin' wrong with liking hats but not liking ties.
Of course, that puts you in the same league as what's his name over in Iran, Amadinnerjacket thingy. But still, I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it!

Thank you Dhermann1, I'll defend your right to disagree with me in return (not to the death though, but until conversation turns unpleasant, definitely).

On a side note, even if I wanted to like ties, anything from turtlenecks to barbershop collars make me feel like I'm choking. I've got ties and I wear them now and then, but it's a day long struggle. Even brushing my molars makes me gag every morning. Maybe there's a problem. Ties, regardless, aren't really my thing.

Last edited:

Cobden

Practically Family
I get the feeling this is the Telegraph's equivalent to the "...and finally"/"...baby panda"/"...roller blading labrador" stories one gets in telly news

BunnyLamarr

New in Town
To put into perspective... IT....IS....A....FRIGGIN....TIE ! All the worlds' ills; crooked politicians, terrorists and sex scandals and this tie is an issue? Some pretty nice ties I'm sure on Enron and BP execs.

Well, yes of course it is just a 'tie'. Being properly dressed is, after all, just clothing is it not?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I like fedoras, so I'm alright, I think.

Same here, no love for ties at all; I do wear one from time to time in my wedding photo business but that's about it.

Love your red VS hat by the way - one of the coolest I've seen. Inspired me to sign up for a project with Mr. Fawcett. Mine will be more conservative than yours but I'm thinking something edgier for the next one :)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Here's my personal take on the tie, whether you love it or hate it. Since the forerunner of the modern necktie originated in the country of Croatia during the 15th or 16th century, gradually being spread into common, fashionable use due to a French king taking up to wearing the neck wear of the Croat mercenaries (here's some trivia: the word to describe early neckties, cravate, comes from Hrvat, a.k.a. Croat, and is a French word to describe these people), I wear a tie with pride. I believe that it represents a part of my heritage (through my mother's family), and that it is a tradition to be carried on well into the 21st century and beyond. Now, I liked wearing ties to begin with (itself having to do with my enjoyment of wearing smart clothing), but after reading up on their origins, I have developed an even greater appreciation and fondness for them. I understand why some of you detest the tie, uncomfortable or aesthetically displeasing and such, but I've got my reasons for liking them, and I feel an obligation to keep the tradition of this sartorial piece alive.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Why am I here? As in, the forums, or this thread? This thread, because it's a rather silly news article of no importance. The forums, because it's not "The Tie Lounge" so I'm not obligated to like ties. I like fedoras, so I'm alright, I think.
You do ramble on, don't you.

Here's a clue for neophytes who think that a tie can't be worn without constriction.

3172304.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy