Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying Used Jackets on Ebay, how to size correctly?

mrrosenthal

New in Town
Is this a good idea? Buy a used jacket on ebay? I have sizes from a tailor, but how can I know if I will get a good fit from ebay purchases?

Looking to buy a sheepskin bomber and a cafe racer

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Ebay can be "hit or miss". If you've your measurements let that be your guide. Remember that a Euro size is about 10-inchese smaller than a US/UK size. You wont find much on the Bay on the out rangers (really small or really large) but if you can fit between 42 and 48 you should be golden. Also read up on here and know your brands/models... every bargain ain't a bargain if you know what I mean?

Worf

Peacoat

Bartender
There is a thread here somewhere that shows (with pics) the proper way to measure the p2p, the sleeve length and the back length. Maybe someone who has the link will be nice enough to post it.

Mrrosenthal, speaking as a 3 1/2 year veteran of scouring eBay for "the perfect jacket" I can say this: Be flexible, be aggressive, and above all Beware!
Only experience gives you the insight to navigate properly the waters of the Bay. First, really narrow down what your sizes are and what you want. Dreaming and hoping that something will fit won't create that reality. And- sellers often get the jacket measurements wrong. Try to work out some kind of Return policy before you buy if you aren't willing to risk or resell the item. I've been through many jackets....In the end I've learned a lot about cuts, leathers, and styles. Now I need to sell them all because none of them fit me just right (something I sacrificed for awhile in trade for the cool factor of some jackets).
My Goodwear jacket is being made soon!

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I learned that asking the seller for pictures of the jacket with a measure tape or ruler is better than relaying on the measures they publish.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah its one thing for you to know how to measure a jacket...another thing entirely for the seller to as well. I guess the best thing is to ask questions and save the responses, if the jacket isn't measured correctly, ask for a return under the "item not as described policy".

Brettafett

One Too Many
Yeah its one thing for you to know how to measure a jacket...another thing entirely for the seller to as well. I guess the best thing is to ask questions and save the responses, if the jacket isn't measured correctly, ask for a return under the "item not as described policy".
+1
If possible, get seller to take a pic of him/her wearing it and then get their body measurements and weight. Makes it easier to compare...
Who knows, they may be your exact size.
Good luck.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's pretty straight forward. You need to know what arm length, shoulder, back length and pit to pit works for you. Then be flexible. A half inch in some of those will not matter. For pit to pit I am happy with anything from 22.5 to 23.5 inches. I've only ever been unhappy with the fit of 2 jackets and on each occasion the seller had measured wrong. The other ten were perfect.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
It's pretty straight forward. You need to know what arm length, shoulder, back length and pit to pit works for you. Then be flexible. A half inch in some of those will not matter. For pit to pit I am happy with anything from 22.5 to 23.5 inches. I've only ever been unhappy with the fit of 2 jackets and on each occasion the seller had measured wrong. The other ten were perfect.

I'm with you, Seb. I know my measurements and as long as the seller has measured correctly, I'm sure the jacket will fit. In my experience, they usually do.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
Have the measurements from a jacket you have that fits best and compare them to those listed by the seller. When selling jackets I usually add a photo of me wearing it and state my height and chest size for reference. I as a buyer get frustrated with the number of sellers that don't/won't give correct measurements and especially who list jackets as for example a 44 by doubling the chest of 22 inches, that's not correct! I now after years of buying and selling know what will fit me most of the time, it's the ridiculously complicated world of Nato sizes used by British Army for jackets and smocks that still get me confused but that's a different matter!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Have the measurements from a jacket you have that fits best and compare them to those listed by the seller. When selling jackets I usually add a photo of me wearing it and state my height and chest size for reference. I as a buyer get frustrated with the number of sellers that don't/won't give correct measurements and especially who list jackets as for example a 44 by doubling the chest of 22 inches, that's not correct! I now after years of buying and selling know what will fit me most of the time, it's the ridiculously complicated world of Nato sizes used by British Army for jackets and smocks that still get me confused but that's a different matter!

Well, there's your problem. Never accept labels like size 44 or 48, or for that matter, medium or large. They are generally meaningless.

Always get the actual measurements of the jacket. And as stated, where in doubt get the seller to send photos of the tape across the jacket.

Novos

One of the Regulars
Yes, pics of the measuring tape are a must, unless the seller is competent. I know my measurements to a tee, and am constantly surprised that people have no clue how to measure garments at all. I once got a jacket that had a "back length" of 25.5" but in reality was 22". Where the hell did the seller get those extra 3.5" inches from?

I would also suggest buying from sellers that have a background in garments/clothing and sound as though they know what they're doing. Steer clear of those vague auctions USED 50s BIKER JACKET GREAT DEALLL LOOOK!@@@@.

It's always too good to be true.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Here are some photos earlier posted on this forum that show how it is done:

IMG_2224.jpg
IMG_2228.jpg IMG_2222.jpg

Hope this helps. You can send these to the seller so there will be no confusion. Most sellers don't have a clue as to how to measure.

morrison2951

Practically Family
Yep- just measure your best fitting jacket as described above and you should be good to go provided the ebay seller's measurements are also accurate.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
Of course sometimes you can't win as a seller: I recently sold an old British 1960's smock and because of they are famous for confusing sizing I as always posted detailed measurements only to get feedback stating it was 'a bit tight for a size 5'. So not everyone pays attention to measurements then, should I apologise for the original maker's sizing?!? I much prefer selling (and buying) leather jackets, easier to get sizing right. I always was puzzled with the A-2's that RMNZ sold as they would label a jacket a 46 only for it to fit a 42 at best, they said it was because of wartime fitting but it did cause some confusion and IMO unnecessary (not to mention their extra long arms!).

"Wartime sizing" must refer to the makers making so many 40-42s that they ran out of the proper labels and used whatever was on hand to get the order out the door.
;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff