Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cal-Leather

axlepressbutton

New in Town
Could those that have had comms with Cal directly please advise.
Are they generally good at replying to emails?

I have emailed a couple of times to ask about a custom Collar.

It may be they are more a call type of business?
Emails? Nah.... I tried but gave up and just called the CAL number that comes up when you search for the company.

Gwen answered my calls most of the time during business hours.

Look, to be honest I get the impression she is a very busy mom that is balancing home life and a small business.

On the first call she said that they were starting to run out of repair work and would happily tackle my jacket if I mailed it in. I sent it over but included a clear written list of every issue I'd like fixed and a request for a quote.

A week later I called to make sure the jacket was with them and she said they had started it already! I asked for a quote and she said she would call back.

In the weeks they worked on it I'd call every few days and I never did get a price and not one call back when she promised. Now if that's going to stress you then I guess don't send your jacket in, but as I said, I get the sense she is juggling a lot in her life (I know what that can be like) and just let her work.

Last week I got a message saying my jacket was done and could I call her. She broke down the costs and I was happy.
The jacket is now rock solid and the custom collar (with my choice of fur) is top notch.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Emails? Nah.... I tried but gave up and just called the CAL number that comes up when you search for the company.

Look, to be honest I get the impression she is a very busy mom that is balancing home life and a small business.

On the first call she said that they were starting to run out of repair work and would happily tackle my jacket if I mailed it in. I sent it over but included a clear written list of every issue I'd like fixed and a request for a quote.

A week later I called to make sure the jacket was with them and she said they had started it already! I asked for a quote and she said she would call back.

In the weeks they worked on it I'd call every few days and I never did get a price and not one call back when she promised. Now if that's going to stress you then I guess don't send your jacket in, but as I said, I get the sense she is juggling a lot in her life (I know what that can be like) and just let her work.

Last week I got a message saying my jacket was done and could I call her. She broke down the costs and I was happy.
The jacket is now rock solid and the custom collar (with my choice of fur) is top notch.
Very interesting she just started everything before confirming the price was okay, I wonder what would have happened if you weren't satisfied with the cost, does she just hold your fixed up jacket hostage? lol

I also got a custom collar on my Cal from her and it is sublime! Waiting for colder weather to wear it more often!

Al 916

One Too Many

Thanks, great info

Al 916

One Too Many
Very interesting she just started everything before confirming the price was okay, I wonder what would have happened if you weren't satisfied with the cost, does she just hold your fixed up jacket hostage? lol

I also got a custom collar on my Cal from her and it is sublime! Waiting for colder weather to wear it more often!
I am looking to ask for the same. What cost and do you have any pics please?

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I am looking to ask for the same. What cost and do you have any pics please?
I didn't personally deal with Gwen, it was @Gypsymoth82 and I got the jacket off him. I think it was about $200 for a new collar, but she used an old piece of mouton so it was a little cheaper (maybe $100 or so? I don't know the exact details I got it as a whole package from Moth), I don't have any photos right now, so here's a snap of back when it was at the Cal Leathers shop!

I haven't tried the fit since I lost some weight recently, I think it should be better now, before it was a little snug, hoping for some cooler weather soon so I can break this beast out again.

1698312050147.jpeg

I didn't personally deal with Gwen, it was @Gypsymoth82 and I got the jacket off him. I think it was about $200 for a new collar, but she used an old piece of mouton so it was a little cheaper (maybe $100 or so? I don't know the exact details I got it as a whole package from Moth), I don't have any photos right now, so here's a snap of back when it was at the Cal Leathers shop!

I haven't tried the fit since I lost some weight recently, I think it should be better now, before it was a little snug, hoping for some cooler weather soon so I can break this beast out again.

View attachment 555198

That collar is thick!! Very nice.

To those interested: Email is hit or miss. Sometimes a quick response, sometimes no response. Calling can be hit or miss but if you get her on the phone she will spend some time with you. Very nice lady. She was very interested in my old SG. We also talked Cal history. I’ve never had her work on a jacket but all I’ve ever read is that the work is excellent.

Leigh H

Practically Family
Whats the general consensus on the dating of a while label Cals?

i've always assumed white labels were introduced in the 60's and onwards?

KBlake

One Too Many
This is my forever cal. I had been searching for a straight zip that fit me well for a couple years with no luck. Then this was offered cheap on eBay because the lining was destroyed and zippers needed replacing. I had them replaced by JL and now it’s good for another generation.
IMG_7948.jpeg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
This is my forever cal. I had been searching for a straight zip that fit me well for a couple years with no luck. Then this was offered cheap on eBay because the lining was destroyed and zippers needed replacing. I had them replaced by JL and now it’s good for another generation. View attachment 601959
Same here. I found my forever straight zip Cal, don't need another.

PXL_20240325_205258377~3.jpg

PXL_20240325_205204708~2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner