Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can Anyone tell me what type of jacket is this one?

mimesis2nemesis

One of the Regulars
gable_pst.jpg

Is the one worn by actor Clark Gable in the 1938 movie, "test pilot". This is the type of jacket I like the most and would appreciate any info you may have. Thank you very much!:)

Edit: Direct link to the image: http://www.movietreasures.com/Clark_Gable/gable_pst.jpg

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Is this the jacket? It looks very A-2ish, but I think that it isn't. The pockets have snaps that are exposed outside of the leather and the shape of the pocket flap is not like any that I've ever seen on a WWII A-2. Oddly enough, the pocket flaps on his jacket remind me of the flaps on the current issue Avirex. I think Clark's jacket is something from the prop department.

MV5BMjEwNzE0OTc3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTYzNzcy__V1__SX438_SY414_.jpg

AF

mimesis2nemesis

One of the Regulars
I know! I love that particular design. The character Captain America discussed in another thread wears a similar one, and I really would like to get my hands on one. Only problem is I never seem to find a close enough jacket... And I'm really interested in knowing what model it is. Thank you for your help though! That (I'll call it call a civilian) A-2 jacket also looks amazing, I agree with you that it was something the costume/prop department came up with.

mimesis2nemesis

One of the Regulars
Thank you for yor help! Magnoli's replica of the Belstaff Hughes blouson is one of the most beautiful jackets I've ever seen. What I would like to know is what model of jacket this was, just out of curiosity. As I've stated, I've always wanted a jacket like this one. It's like the perfect combination of a flight jacket and a motorcycle jacket.

Vic

One of the Regulars
I disagree w/ most of the above. This particular D-Pocket is VERY similar to what you would find on a Trojan MC Jacket. But it has epaulets, and appears to have no hand-warmer pocket on the bottom right (tough to tell from angle), and no belt.

I don't think you'll find an exact match, but it falls somewhere between a Trojan and a Bootlegger, IMO. I'm sure you could find very similar styles in vintage catalogues. And, in terms of reproducing, you could always make mods such as adding a Trojan-Style D-Pocket to an Aero Bootlegger...plus a few much more minor mods to get it exact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo