Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I taste that again?

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
Coconut is good from the nut, the milk is yummy, and the like, its the 'little shards that can get caught in your teeth' version that is disgusting.

LD

I feel the same about the coconut, it's like hairs or something. But that's also why I won't eat alfalfa sprouts....

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have this wierd thing about milk products. I eat it, but get totally grossed out by the idea of sharing it with someone. For example: cereal can't be shared. For years I couldn't even eat ice cream if someone had stuck there spoon in the container. I've gotten over it now, but can only share ice cream with Hemingway Jones, and I can't look at his spoon, or I'll get grossed out. I think it stems from being a kid. My mom would take a big bite of an ice cream cone, and her bright red lipstick would end up on the remaining ice cream. I couldn't eat it after that. YucK! To this day, I can't share anything with her, especially bottles or cans of soda. And, before I drink or eat anything, I must wipe my own red lipstick off, in fear that I will get grossed out by it.

Daisy Buchanan

DancingSweetie said:
That's funny Daisy, I feel the exact same way about milk products.
So funny you feel that way too! I think it also has to do with the "stick factor". When you take a sip of milk, there's always extra that drips back into the glass. I don't want someone elses goo dripping into my drink.
I also don't like cilantro. I think it tastes like soap!
On another note, I do have foods that I love. Oysters, frois gras, and caviar with a bottle of Vueve Clicqoe(spelled wrong I'm sure) make for a great early dinner on a hot summer day.

Benny Holiday

No pumpkin, thank you

When I was a kid my Mum struggled to get me to eat peas and beans, but as an adult I've always loved my vegetables - carrots, peas, beans, broccoli, cauliflower, and potatoes - but never pumpkin.

When my wife and I first began dating, the first time I met her oldest sister we were invited over for dinner. The first course? Homemade pumpkin soup. Ah, the things you do for love . . . :)

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
Mustard. Could not tolerate the sight or smell of it.

On July 4th, Mrs. F-N and I went to our favorite hot dog stand. I got some mustard on my fingers by mistake. For some reason, instead of screaming and running for the Purell, I tasted it. It wasn't bad. I'd been missing out all these years.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
G. Fink-Nottle said:
Mustard. Could not tolerate the sight or smell of it.

On July 4th, Mrs. F-N and I went to our favorite hot dog stand. I got some mustard on my fingers by mistake. For some reason, instead of screaming and running for the Purell, I tasted it. It wasn't bad. I'd been missing out all these years.
That's funny Mr. F-N, and great that you found out you really can tolerate mustard. :eusa_clap

I've only met one other person who had such an aversion to mustard. An older lady who worked in the meat dept. at the grocer where I cashiered in college. She came in the break room looking tired, saw me making a sandwich, and asked in a frustrated voice, "Why come you white folks like mustard so much." :D I couldn't help but crack up laughing; we started talking and turned out she was a really fun lady with lots of great life stories... but I never asked her to try some mustard.

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

Miss_Bella_Hell

Daisy Buchanan said:
So funny you feel that way too! I think it also has to do with the "stick factor". When you take a sip of milk, there's always extra that drips back into the glass. I don't want someone elses goo dripping into my drink.
I also don't like cilantro. I think it tastes like soap!
On another note, I do have foods that I love. Oysters, frois gras, and caviar with a bottle of Vueve Clicqoe(spelled wrong I'm sure) make for a great early dinner on a hot summer day.

Clicquot ;)

The cilantro tasting like soap thing is actually very common. Something like 25% of the population tastes soap when they eat cilantro. So weird!

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I have always thought it smells like soap, but I like the taste.

BTW Hepcat that scary dandelion cracked me up when I saw it yesterday. I hope Lizzie doesn't get a fright from it.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
For me it's junk food and veggies. When I was a kid and teenager, I could live off of fast food and candy...now the stuff tastes awful to me. Veggies, I hated them as a kid except for sweet corn...now I've developed a liking for a good green salad :)

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Growing up, I always used to bum out when we went to eat at a deli; I never knew what to get. Now I will drive hours just to get a good sandwich.

I still have a huge phobia about fruit, and I can't see that ever changing. Some fruit in very proccessed forms is okay, but some never is. The only fruit I can say I love with a passion is coconut (which I just found out is high in cholesterol). Tomato in sauces is okay, but big chunks will repulse me.But now I can be in the same room with someone eating an apple. I just tense up when I hear the bite. Progress.

No one can understand it. Sometimes I just say I'm allergic because I really don't feel like spelling out every individual like and dislike. Whenever I tell someone who knows me, they try to trip me up or something, and say 'What about the pumpkin pie, or the pizza that you love' and then I have to explain, it's not that I hate fruit because it's fruit, I hate a large number of individual products that are fruit related.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I started liking fish and chips from when I was in Scotland because that's one of the "community foods" we shared. And I found I like Salmon prepared a certain way and poured over with butter, but other than that I still don't like fish.

I used to think it would be gross to eat snails but now I love them.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cousin Hepcat said:
I've only met one other person who had such an aversion to mustard. An older lady who worked in the meat dept. at the grocer where I cashiered in college. She came in the break room looking tired, saw me making a sandwich, and asked in a frustrated voice, "Why come you white folks like mustard so much." :D I couldn't help but crack up laughing; we started talking and turned out she was a really fun lady with lots of great life stories... but I never asked her to try some mustard.

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

Okay, THAT was funny.

My 'non-white folks' family has always dug mustard. We usta eat it with our fried fish. I love mustard with fresh honey . . . . honey mustard, mmmmmm gooood.

LD

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
No to cheese, too. Nope. No way. It's mutual: we don't like each other.

Luke warm on the tomato and coffee thing. I won't seek either out but I can stand them if I have to.

I can't be in the same room with a brussel sprout. (I had a fraternity brother who referred to them as "Martian testicles.")

Another thing I can't abide is squash. Or mushrooms (which look alot like toadstools).

The memory of a brunch-from-hell several years ago:

Mushroom quiche
Tomato pie
Cheese grits
Squash souffle
Coffee, bloody marys and screwdrivers

I think I ate rolls and drank. Until dessert... cheesecake!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Count me in as a former 'mater hater! I hated tomatoes growing up. Loved tomato sauce - marinara, pizza, etc., but could not stomach raw tomatoes. My hatred was directly related to the fact that we had a garden and my mother constantly canned tomatoes. The smell was absolutely vile! Now I grow my own and I love them.

Turning the tables a bit: I loved lima beans as a child, but now I don't care for them.

Daisy Buchanan said:
When you take a sip of milk, there's always extra that drips back into the glass. I don't want someone elses goo dripping into my drink.

Here in Texas we call that "backwash." lol

I have a thing about milk, but it doesn't have anything to do with other people. I cannot drink the milk that remains after cereal. I'm not sure why, but it really grosses me out. I like milk, and I like cereal, so I'm not sure what the hangup is. If I see someone else drinking the leftover milk after a bowl of cereal, it makes me gag.

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Luke warm milk really gives me the heebie jeebies, stems from school. In the UK we used to be given these little 1/3rd pints of milk at morning break (about 11.15 if i remember rightly). Unfortunately it was delivered to the school in the early morning and they never refrigerated it. I'm sure the milk had cream on the top of the foil had started going rancid, it always had some crusty milk solids on top of the foil too anyway. Yecchhh.

Doesn't help that I developed laactose intolerance later in life, more than one glass of milk or a large milkshake, and I react just like that episode of Jackass where thay try to drink a quart of milk at one sitting. That still makes me LMAO to watch.

Posted by FortWorthGal
I have a thing about milk, but it doesn't have anything to do with other people. I cannot drink the milk that remains after cereal. I'm not sure why, but it really grosses me out. I like milk, and I like cereal, so I'm not sure what the hangup is. If I see someone else drinking the leftover milk after a bowl of cereal, it makes me gag.

Does the same thing to me. Don't know why. I can't stand to see someone lift the bowl and drink the milk. Doubly so if he's wearing flipflops. :D

Regards,

Senator Jack

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Tomatoes-I love spaghetti, salsa, and pizza, but I have a distaste for Tomatoes in salads, by themselves, or mixed in with some foods.

Coconuts, I hate it, but love coconut shrimp and pina coladas are okay, although not my most favorite thing to drink.

Milk as a drink-I literally get a gag reflex even smelling it or barely tasting it (evidenced even 4-5 months back when my fiance tried to get me to drink some). Back when I went to a day care, they would make us eat all our food and drink all of our milk (in one of those small dixie cups) before we could go take a nap. I would take tiny sips of the milk and rarely finished it. It was pure torture. As a result, I rarely got a nap. I don't have many memories from day care, but that's one thing I remember very clearly. However, I love ice cream and most other dairy products.

Beer-Can't stand the taste, but love wine and frozen drinks and mixed drinks.

Most any vegetables except for corn, potatoes, lettuce, baby spinich (uncooked) with salad dressing, raw carrots with ranch dressing, onions for flavor, red or green bell peppers for flavor. Jalapeno poppers are good but I don't like jalapenos by themselves.

I think it also has to do with the "stick factor". When you take a sip of milk, there's always extra that drips back into the glass. I don't want someone elses goo dripping into my drink.
Daisy, I understand about not wanting to eat/drink after others. For years I wouldn't even want to eat/drink after my own parents, although I will now with my mom but not my dad. I have no problem drinking or eating after a guy I'm dating (I guess for obvious reasons).

I'm hoping that one day when I have kids my tastes will change (for the better) because I right now I'm not fond of most veggies and some fruits nor milk, making for an unhealthy diet. They say sometimes pregnancy causes tastebuds to change.

magneto

Practically Family
"Me too" on the tomatoes. Couldn't stand them in any way, shape or form. Now I can eat occasional tomato sauce, but any whole tomato makes me gag unless each seed and the surrounding slime has been surgically removed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace