Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I taste that again?

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I hated potatoes with all my passion. Nowadays I actually like them... Even love them when overbaked with cheese. I´m never going to like beer (exept malt-beer) or mushrooms though (the smell of mushrooms makes me sick). lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I'm the same way with beer, I liked it as a teenager, but now can't stand it.
Fish: I'm still very picky on fish myself. It can't be mushy or have a fishy taste. I love fish and chips, but have gotten picky about how it's made, I no longer care for half drenched in oil ones...I like them to taste fresh.

Etienne

A-List Customer
PEAS!!!!!!!!! Blech! Beets!!!!!! Double Blech!!! Every soft drink on earth except a tiny bit of root beer! (One sip of soft drink makes me retch!!)

Etienne

A-List Customer
Oops, forgot to add the WHY: NEVER could swallow peas--EVER (or SMELL them, for that matter. My Mom forced me to eat them one night and they came right back up. That did it for life! I've picked them out of every dish ever since!) Beets (pickled) make me gag, and fresh ones taste exactly like a mouthful of dirt to me. I had stomach flu once as a kid and my folks gave me 7-UP to drink, and it was, "Right back at ya!" again; to this day, I have never, ever had a soft drink of any kind (except some root beer in a float--which would be better if it was FLAT--hate the bubbles!)

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/beverages/ramos-gin-fizz.html

The Original Ramos Gin Fizz

Invented in the 1880s by Henry C. Ramos, in his bar at Meyer's Restaurant, this is one of New Orleans' most famous drinks. The secret of its flavor and texture is orange flower water and egg whites. When Huey P. Long was governor of Louisiana he brought with him to New York's Roosevelt Hotel the bartender from the New Orleans Roosevelt just so he could have New Orleans gin fizzes whenever he was in New York. Yeah, sure, every man a king ...

Orange flower water can be difficult to find, but is available in better liquor stores or Middle-Eastern markets. You can also obtain it from Martin's Wine Cellar in New Orleans, (800) 298-4274, 3827 Baronne Street, New Orleans, Louisiana.

* 2 ounces gin
* 3 drops orange flower water
* 1 egg whites
* 1 teaspoon bar sugar
* 1 ounce lemon juice
* 1/2 ounce lime juice
* 1 ounce cream
* Soda water

Shake very vigorously for at least one minute. Strain into a tall thin glass, or a very large old fashioned glass, and top with some soda water. Stir

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
I used to have a huge dislike of artichokes and wasabi, not together of course, since childhood.
About ten years ago, for some reason, i began to enjoy artichokes. and about a month ago actually
discovered that I now like wasabi. It's like a switch went on and everything was all hearts and flowers in food land!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Ok, I guess I will add one for me. Oranges. I could eat them with repercussions before but not anymore. The acid really bothers my stomach. :eek: I can't even have a gin fizz or anything like that with citrus juice in it (well, more than one anyway). [huh]

Regards,

J
For me, I love to eat oranges, but absolutely cannot stand orange juice with the pulp in it...really grosses me out!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mysterygal said:
For me, I love to eat oranges, but absolutely cannot stand orange juice with the pulp in it...really grosses me out!
Ugh, I can't stand pulpy juice of any kind. Chunks are to be chewed not swallowed.

On another gross note, pickeled herring. I grew up Jewish, and as Hemingway Jones states "most Jewish food was created on a dare". Pickled Herring is one of these foods. Recently, we met my parents for dinner.. The club we were at had a bowl of the slimy salty, fishy concoction at the appetizer table. I walked right past it, knowing what it was. Hem was getting some goodies with a friend of the family, Jeff, who pointed at the herring and said he must try it. I arrived at the table, just as he was taking his first bite. You see, Hem is a polite gentleman, and didn't want to not take our friends offer. I saw him chewing, and taking a big gulp. I knew all he wanted to do was find a way to spit the morsel into his napkin. Poor Hem, it was a priceless moment. Needless to say, when my mom cooks for the holidays, he always takes a big plate of food so as not to be insulting. Such a strong man! Not only does he tolerate the family functions, but eats food that well, usually should not be eaten by humans... Potato latkes though, those are yummy....

Daisy Buchanan said:
Ugh, I can't stand pulpy juice of any kind. Chunks are to be chewed not swallowed.

On another gross note, pickeled herring. I grew up Jewish, and as Hemingway Jones states "most Jewish food was created on a dare". Pickled Herring is one of these foods. Recently, we met my parents for dinner.. The club we were at had a bowl of the slimy salty, fishy concoction at the appetizer table. I walked right past it, knowing what it was. Hem was getting some goodies with a friend of the family, Jeff, who pointed at the herring and said he must try it. I arrived at the table, just as he was taking his first bite. You see, Hem is a polite gentleman, and didn't want to not take our friends offer. I saw him chewing, and taking a big gulp. I knew all he wanted to do was find a way to spit the morsel into his napkin. Poor Hem, it was a priceless moment. Needless to say, when my mom cooks for the holidays, he always takes a big plate of food so as not to be insulting. Such a strong man! Not only does he tolerate the family functions, but eats food that well, usually should not be eaten by humans... Potato latkes though, those are yummy....

Aw come one. The herring in the white sauce with onions isn't bad. I think Lasko brand makes it. Not too bad to me anyway. [huh] :D

Regards,

J

green papaya

One Too Many
asian bitter melon

http://www.bittermelons.com/

when I was a kid I didnt like the taste of bitter melon, it's an aquired taste, now I like eating bitter melon cooked with all kinds of meats

bitter melon with chicken wings and salted black bean sauce is really good

also goes good with frog meat, or any kind of meats stir fried

most asians eat bitter melon

Chinese, Vietnamese, Thais, Filipinos, Indians, etc

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
WOw,
Seems like most of you all hate slimy foods, or something of that nature.

I guess Im immune. I remember growing up, and watching my Granny scrape plates of food with her hands, like leftover oatmeal, and pasta sauce and stuff like that in the trash before she washed the dishes. I thought it was gross, and HATED to even thing about that food. Then I usta think, "It cant be that bad if Granny can touch it." So from then on I just got to thinking why do I really hate this food, and *poof* went my dislike of it.

Thanks Granny!

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS