Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I taste that again?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
We all have things that we love to eat, and things that we hate. Have you ever just changed it up, and re-tried a food that you have 'hated' since childhood? Have you prepared a food that differs from your comfort zone only to find that you enjoy 'the new way' even more?

How did you feel overcoming such an engrained habbit?

Did you wonder when the dislike came from to begin with?

For me it was my tea. I had always put two cubes of sugar (tea spoons) in my tea. Then I just stopped the sugar all together. Turns out I LOVE it better this way. No more tea sugar for me :coffee:

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yes indeed -- all the best people take their tea without sugar! I learned that from my grandmother and it's been a lifelong habit.

For me the food I learned to like was tomatoes. When I was little, I absolutely refused to eat anything with tomato in it -- no pizza, no spaghetti sauce, no Chef Boy-Ar-Dee, I'd pick the tomato slices off Italian sandwiches, and if Ma tried to sneak any past me, I'd scream and whine and have tantrums. No wonder her hair turned grey.

But then, when I was about 15, I decided I was old enough to give tomatoes another try, and I decided that tomato sauce, at least, wasn't so bad -- and I developed an unfortunate addiction to pizza that's cost me dearly around the middle. It wasn't until the past few years, though, that I decided I liked sliced tomatoes on sandwiches -- only problem is, you can only get *good* tomatoes a few months out of the year here, and now I find myself actually missing them when they aren't around!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Coconut

Mom made the bestest German chocolate cake - and I scraped off the icing. Now I love the taste and smell of coconut. What was I thinking? And try as I might, my GCC's just aren't as good as mom's.

I try everything I never liked every ten years or so. Up till I was about thirty I could never stand mustard and collared greens. I gave them another shot, and now I love them. I was never much for calamari or mussels either - but now I'll eat them when on the table. (Still, I'll never specifically order them at a restaurant.)

Recently, I tried brussell sprouts again. What do you know? I STILL CAN'T STAND THEM! I can't get sushi down either.

I've read that due to cellular regeneration, you're actually a new person every seven years. This may explain how your tastes change.

Regards,

Senator Jack

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
Recently, I tried brussell sprouts again. What do you know? I STILL CAN'T STAND THEM!

Try them par-boiled and fried in garlic butter: it's the only way I know of making them taste like food.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Broccoli.

Senator Jack said:
I've read that due to cellular regeneration, you're actually a new person every seven years. This may explain how your tastes change.
lol That's great! They've recently been doing research that shows this even applies to both low- and high-thinking levels of the brain (believed not to be the case until around 2000), which is most responsible for interpreting whether you like or don't like certain chemical neural responses from the tongue & sinuses, so I'd call that a sharp observation, Senator.

Lady Day said:
For me it was my tea. I had always put two cubes of sugar (tea spoons) in my tea. Then I just stopped the sugar all together. Turns out I LOVE it better this way. No more tea sugar for me :coffee:
Not a big tea drinker, but next time I do, I'm gonna try that :)

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Cousin Hepcat said:
lol That's great! They've recently been doing research that shows this even applies to both low- and high-thinking levels of the brain (believed not to be the case until around 2000), which is most responsible for interpreting whether you like or don't like certain chemical neural responses from the tongue & sinuses, so I'd call that a sharp observation, Senator.

But in seven years it might be a sweet one?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Cheese

Used to hate it with a vengence, but now I can't live without it! lol
Our tastes change as we become adults. I think it has to do with physical changes in our tastebuds. I used to love sweets when I was a kid, now I don't care much for that stuff.

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
For me it´s cheese. As a child I would refuse to eat even sandwiches, etc. from which the cheese had been removed - just because there had been some on there.

Now I´m not that picky anymore, I eat melted cheese (like on a pizza), and some kinds of soft cheese...lately I´ve even been known to enjoy a piece of Brie at times :eek:, especially on a nice crostino with pesto and prosciutto.
No time for writing...must go...kitchen...hungry. ;)

Regards, A.

Rosie

One Too Many
Coconut. I couldn't stand coconut as a kid, yuck
wacko.gif
. Now, I like coconut. I make coconut rice, coconut shrimp, like it on cake, [huh]. One thing that I still don't like is beer. Ewwwww. I tried it years ago and every so often my brother, cousin, someone comes up with some new concoction for me to try. I really don't like that stuff.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
CHEESE!?!!?!?

How can you guys hate cheese when there are so many kinds and types and flavours and textures. I can see you hating some type of cheese, but cheese itself. The mind boggles.

The foods I 've hated since childhood I'm still fairly certain I hate: Chicken and bacon. The smell of bacon alone makes me want to vomit - and some people consider this the perfect wake-up call. Yikes. Chicken is just, well, foul.

I have learned to hate plain white rice. A few years of penury will do that to you.

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
jake_fink said:
CHEESE!?!!?!?

How can you guys hate cheese when there are so many kinds and types and flavours and textures. I can see you hating some type of cheese, but cheese itself. The mind boggles.

The foods I 've hated since childhood I'm still fairly certain I hate: Chicken and bacon. The smell of bacon alone makes me want to vomit - and some people consider this the perfect wake-up call. Yikes. Chicken is just, well, foul.

I have learned to hate plain white rice. A few years of penury will do that to you.

Hmm, don´t know...maybe some childhood trauma? But I actually can´t , for the life of me, remember being run over by a loaf of Emmentaler or something...lol ;)

Beer would be another thing I´m not particularly fond of. One glass is alright once in a while. But I hardly drink alcohol anyway, so it´s not that big of a problem.

Regards, A.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
jake_fink said:
CHEESE!?!!?!?

I was wonderin that too, my friend. Cheese? But anywho in reading the posts, I dont get the hatred of tomatos. Is it the texture? See, we use to eat them like apples in the summmer when I was growin' up. A little sea salt on top, mmmmmmmm goooood!

I grew up on a lot of the stuff you guys hate; collared greens, brussle sprouts, pasta sause, broccoli (LOVE IT!!!). Coconut for me isnt the coconut itself, its the SHREADDED version. Yuck! :mad:

Coconut is good from the nut, the milk is yummy, and the like, its the 'little shards that can get caught in your teeth' version that is disgusting.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lady Day said:
I was wonderin that too, my friend. Cheese? But anywho in reading the posts, I dont get the hatred of tomatos. Is it the texture? See, we use to eat them like apples in the summmer when I was growin' up. A little sea salt on top, mmmmmmmm goooood!

I never really understood what my problem was with tomatoes, but my mother thinks it had something to do with something that happened when I was two. I was playing with a bowl of tomatoes in my grandmother's kitchen and I found one with a big yellow worm on it -- and it squicked me out terribly. I don't remember this at all, but she's convinced it's the explanation.

But I was a very strange little girl -- I was also afraid of pimientos, dandelions, and barley. Life was just an endless parade of horror in those days.

Cheese though -- I love love love it! Give me a big block of sharp cheddar and some Uneeda biscuits -- now that's snackin'!

Citizen Ed

Familiar Face
I also was a 'mater hater growing up. The only way I could stand it was tomato sauce and fried green tomatos. As I've aged I now can appreciate the tomato taste in most cooked foods mainly due to my wifes insistence upon using them despite me. I love the smell of tomato soup on the stove top but still can't stand the taste of it oddly enough. And I've finally gotten to the stage that I can take a thin, thin, thin slice of raw tomato on BLTs as long as nobody snuck mayo on it too. I'll go to my grave hating mayonaise.

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Lot's of people have an aversion to tomatoes. Especially raw and in sandwiches.

In the past tomatoes were considered poisonous as the plant is related to deadly nightshade.

Cheese, meat and tomatoes are contain some of the highest concentrations of natural glutamate, the chemical that MSG is derrived from. Perhaps these people have a taste aversion to glutamate.

One of the best meals I had was in Gothams in Vancouver. Huge porterhouse steak with a side order of beefsteak tomatoes with melted blue cheese on top. Glutamate overload! :).

Rosie

One Too Many
Hepcat, that is so funny. lol

My little niece doesn't like tomatoes either. [huh] It's kind of funny because she'll spot them in the fridge from afar, like when I'm opening it to get juice, something else she spots them then asks if I'll be eating any. lol It's funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn