Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can we get some love for wool fedoras?

TopGumby said:
I blame this place for my not having a wool felt hat on my head right now. Instead I'm waiting for a package from Australia.

The difference between $40 and $67 in my budget is not insignificant, but I could no more afford to be careless with a $40 lid than a fur Akubra, and if what I've read is true I can expect to get a lot more mileage from a fur felt hat than a wool felt.

I'd spent some time browsing thrift stores and Ebay, but my size 7-1/2 grape has made finding a vintage bargain elusive. The Akubras seem like good values now, so I went new.

I don't plan on being a "hat snob" because I can't afford it and frankly, I'm no clotheshorse. I got the itch for a decent fedora because I picked up a Dorfman Pacific cotton/poly snap brim bucket for a song to keep the sun off in the summer, and I found I liked wearing a hat. In fact, when Seattle gets that annual two weeks of heat next year, I'll probably wear that Fred Meyer cloth bucket again (although I've seem some nice straws here...curse you, Fedora Lounge!)

So, I'm too much of a tightwad to go with wool felt...does that make any sense at all?

Yes, it makes perfect sense. With Akubras ordered direct from Australia going for so little these days, it's hard to call such a purchase anything but a very good deal indeed.

frijoli

One of the Regulars
mannySpaghetti said:
HPIM2366.jpg
HPIM2167.jpg

Some guys wear hats, and some guys wear hats. Buddy you are a hat WEARER. Man they look good on you!

Clay

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
TopGumby said:
So, I'm too much of a tightwad to go with wool felt...does that make any sense at all?

Yeah, "saving" money in certain areas actually "costs" too much.

Hey Slim, I getcha'. As I've noted before, I have a few woolies and I love 'em just fine for what they are.

It doesn't surprise me a bit that Dinerman and others have had them shrink up and croak, but what DOES surprise me is that mine haven't. It's not for lack of wear, rain, sweat and heat. I've put a lot of miles on a couple of old Baileys and a Broner and they've lived to tell about it. [huh]

Also, it's understandable that you are cautious with the furs. Back in the '80s I worked in a big, international corporate/executive setting. When I returned to my office one time, someone had actually STOLEN my grey fur felt fedora! I didn't notice until I had worked late and was ready to leave.

In any event, I gotta' say that if you told me the hat you're wearing in that picture was made of popscicle sticks, I'd have to say, "Yeah, OK, but it looks damn good on ya'!"

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Well, perception is reality, and my perception is this- I have an L.L. Bean British Felt Bush Hat, 100% wool, which I got for Christmas about thirty years ago. I hardly took that thing off for about two years, wore it in all kinds of weathers. My head was still growing, so I retired the hat, but I still have it and it is still serviceable and decent-looking. About ten years ago or so- it was when L.L. Bean still carried merchandise that wasn't made in Asia- I got for Christmas another L.L. Bean British all-wool hat, nearly identical to my old retired one. I have worn it extensively, again in all kinds of conditions, including in Ketchikan Alaska where it rains more than I would have believed possible. It still retains its shape and color. I also have a U.S.A.-made Pendleton and it is a good hat as well, although I doubt it will prove to be as durable as the British hats. So I will definitely give up some love for the woolies! They have their place in the hat hierarchy, for sure. If wool makes you itch, of course, that's another story. And wool IS hot, but so are my Akubras when the sun is beating down. It's all pretty subjective I suppose.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sorry, I'd rather have just a couple fur felt than twenty + wool.

Life's too short.............[huh]

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Matty told Hatty about a thing she saw.
Had two big horns and a wooly jaw.
Wooly bully, wooly bully.
Wooly bully, wooly bully, wooly bully.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Bravo, one and all. I appreciate hearing both sides of this issue, but of course I especially enjoy hearing such accounts as Daoud's. I plan on being around for a long time and I don't mind purchasing many wool hats now only to (possibly) replace them with finer quality felt hats as the years march on. And if the gods so will it and I shuffle off this mortal coil sooner rather than later, I will do so having worn a great many hats that I did not have to scrimp and save to buy.

DSC04122-CROP.jpg

The wool derby that I am wearing today.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Wow! Just received my first wool hat, a clean Alexander Centurion, and after reading this thread, I am two things: 1) eager to wear it in extreme conditions, and 2) hoping it survives to become a personal legend. Taking it off the hook will be tough, though!

Daoud

One of the Regulars
randooch said:
Wow! Just received my first wool hat, a clean Alexander Centurion, and after reading this thread, I am two things: 1) eager to wear it in extreme conditions, and 2) hoping it survives to become a personal legend. Taking it off the hook will be tough, though!
Now, I wasn't saying that EVERY wool hat can survive the things I've put mine through. I absolve myself of any responsibility if your hat turns to mush or shrinks up until you look like Zippy the Pinhead!:D

leo

One of the Regulars
I have two inexpensive wool fedoras and usually leave one in the car in case of emergency.

Yesterday the driver's window failed and remained open. I was 65 miles from the "home" repair shop. The temperature was about 40 degrees F. I was mighty happy to have a warm hat.

Bill

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman and carter,

I guess I'm not sure, now that you ask. I was going by a comment from Brad Bowers (I think), who complimented my purchase ". . . even if it IS wool." That was before it arrived. Since then, I assumed it was. It certainly has a different feel to it than my fur ones, and there aren't any clues printed on the sweat (no liner).

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Brad and I both commented on it possibly being wool. From the photos, it looks different - not worse, just different - from what I'm used to seeing as fur felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn