Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can we get some love for wool fedoras?

1OldGI

Familiar Face
Deja Vu

This sounds very similar to an argument that crops up periodically on pipe smoking forms about "codger burlies" vs. "boutique blends". Essentially affordable old American classic pipe tobaccos (Prince Albert, Half and Half, etc.) vs. the more highbrow (mostly European) tinned pipe tobaccos. Having fished on both sides of this pier, I can say unabashedly that I'm a codger burley guy. Nothing can touch them, they aren't fancy, complex or flashy but are reliable and consistently tastey.

With regard to hats, I'm afraid being a newcomer, I'm not as well informed (only time will tell) but I recently pulled the trigger on my first fedora (a brown, Bailey wool). There's a saying in pipe smoking, "Smoke what you like and like what you smoke." I suppose the same could be said of hats. Wear what you like and like what you wear. I can only trust that in the hat world wool versus felt is largely a personal choice and at the end of the day, we're all free to wear whatever we like without much censure from others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic