Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That could be a 40s clasp, the color size etc all work that way - but something about the back of it says 70s to me too. But I like the scrollwork.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Its definitely not 40s. I have enough of them to be able to tell that, and I wouldnt insult the 30s by putting this in that era lol

Maybe its 70/80s does 40s?

LD

epr25

Practically Family
I need soem help with this coat. I have a person that is disputing that the fur on this is fake.My question is has anyone seen fake fur like this? Did they have fake fur like this in this time period?

3925_12.JPG

0fb5_3.JPG

1723_3.JPG

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Can anyone help me date this?

I apologize in advance for the low pic quality, but I'm at work.

Photo329.jpg

According to the seller, it's an English ring from the 20's.
All I've been able to dig up are that the gold is 9k (usually European or British) and the stones are 'red diamonds.'

Can anyone help me date this more accurately? I'm a little unsure about dating jewelry based on style, and there are no trusty marks or signatures for me to google.

Thanks!

Miss 1929

That doesn't look fake at all!

epr25 said:
I need soem help with this coat. I have a person that is disputing that the fur on this is fake.My question is has anyone seen fake fur like this? Did they have fake fur like this in this time period?

3925_12.JPG

0fb5_3.JPG

1723_3.JPG

Quick and easy test - burn a little and smell it. If it smells like burned hair it is fur. If it smells like plastic, it isn't. If you don't know what burned hair smells like, burn a bit of your own for comparison.

And look at where it is attached to the backing - if it looks like it is growing out of the surface, it's fur, if it is a woven backing and the furry parts are sewn on, then fake.

Also, I have never seen fake fur from the 50s/60s (the coat is late 50s or early 60s) that looked that good. It appears to be a nice fox fur collar! Congratulations!

They typically used real fur, no one cared back then. And if it's vintage a lot of us still like it.

epr25

Practically Family
Well I sold the coat on ebay so I don;t have it in my possession to test it. In my opinion it was totally real fur. They want to return it and I am not taking it back. I think they just don't like it. Thanks!

Miss_Bella_Hell

epr25 said:
Well I sold the coat on ebay so I don;t have it in my possession to test it. In my opinion it was totally real fur. They want to return it and I am not taking it back. I think they just don't like it. Thanks!

Yeah, it definitely looks real. And the "feel" test is usually the best way to tell, though tags will usually offer a clue. Probably the buyer is just making excuses!

epr25

Practically Family
Yea now she is telling me that it smells so bad that she had a head ache and had to put it in the garage. Funny the fake fur stinky coat hung in my dinning room for a week and was fine. I just hope that she can pass it along to someone who will appreciate it.

lady eel

New in Town
faux vs. real

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
DSCN0992.jpg

This is a B. Altman coat that appears to be shearling (I was told it was faux but it does not seem to be, which is distressing as I'm trying to eradicate fur from my wardrobe). I can take a pic of the label if need be.

The label says only "B. Altman Co." then there is a smaller tag that says only to clean it by a professional, or I can drop it off at "Leathercraft Process of America" on 56th Street, which is nice of them. lol

I believe this is real as I have seen many similar style coats made of shearling.
but am really curious, why are you trying to eradicate fur from your wardrobe? especially vintage? and what about leather?

I don't want to stir up a fur arguement, but have heard this from others when wearing some vintage furs, my reply, "it's been dead longer than I've been alive"
also if anyone wants to rid themselves of vintage furs let me know! I love em!

Miss_Bella_Hell

lady eel said:
but am really curious, why are you trying to eradicate fur from your wardrobe? especially vintage? and what about leather?

I do wear leather, actually, but I don't like to wear fur for the usual reasons! :) There's a lo-ong thread a bout it somewhere.

Heather

Practically Family
Telling the age of a purse

Is there any way to tell if a purse is from the 40's vs 50's? Are there things I should be looking for? The company name is Meeker but not having a lot of luck finding any information...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats