Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

texasgirl

One Too Many
Sure, here's the original post: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=719312&postcount=18

I think it's been too long now to deal with trying to return it. But I guess it would be good to know in case I want to sell it.

The whole thing has just been a pain- you know how some transaction are. It took 2 weeks, with no communication- which drives me crazy. Then I open it. She said it was NOS that she only wore twice. But it has a hole under the arm and another at the pocket. I just feel like I got scammed big time. It was more than I like to spend on ebay vintage, because you just never know. Lesson learned.

Heather

Practically Family
Any thoughts on this pin?
flower-1.JPG

flower-2.JPG

flower-3.JPG

Miss Sis

One Too Many
texasgirl said:
Sure, here's the original post: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=719312&postcount=18

I think it's been too long now to deal with trying to return it. But I guess it would be good to know in case I want to sell it.

I can't say if it's a USO dress, but it looks later 40s/early 50s to me due to the label, dropped shoulder seam, length and slightly flaired skirt. Also the shoulder pads were often made of different fabric then wheres later it is often the same material. It's certainly not an 80s dress in my opinion.

Bunny

New in Town
Please Help Me Date This Great Purse I Just Bought!

Hello Ladies!

I'm quite new here (this is only my third post!) and I must say I am enjoying the forum very much! :eusa_clap

At any rate...cutting to the chase. I just bought this great purse at a second hand store yesterday. I feel pretty strongly that it's vintage (If it's not I love it anyway!!).

I was hoping someone could help me date it. Thoughts?

Appologies for the mediocre pic. I took it with my laptop.

101417.jpg

VintageVixie

Anyone here know Don Loper of Beverly Hills Originals well?

I have this Don Loper jacket, and while I imagine it's early-mid 50s, I'd like a better idea if possible.

loper1.jpg

I need to sell it, and I would like to have a better idea of what to ask for it. It's in near perfect condition with one tiny very mendable flaw in the backseam, even the lining is perfect. It just needs a steam.

oh ps- if anyone knows of a better way to sell online in the US than eBay, please let me know. I used to sell on eBay, but their seller fees have gotten ridiculous.

michou1930

New in Town
Hmm, delicious ...

Gosh, this jacket is so lovely! If it were anywhere near my size I might be tempted to grab it out of your hands and spare you the inconvenience to sell it somewhere else :)

(Just whisper it in my ear: what size is it?)

VintageVixie

michou1930 said:
Gosh, this jacket is so lovely! If it were anywhere near my size I might be tempted to grab it out of your hands and spare you the inconvenience to sell it somewhere else :)

(Just whisper it in my ear: what size is it?)

:) I'm pretty sure it's a size 5. I haven't been in some time however... so it's got to go so that I can get a couple maternity items... I hope.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I got this beautiful dress a while ago, but never got around to posting it in this thread. It was sold to me as 1940s, but it looks earlier to me, especially because of the sculptural raglan sleeves. The fabric is silk and the colours are navy, chartreuse green, coral, cherry red and mint green. The skirt is fairly narrow around the hips and cut straight. What do you think?

3263370712_78a4fbf22f.jpg
3263370856_9b7bcb611e.jpg
3263370960_4f312d6dda.jpg

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Lovely dress and a great print, Shrinking Violet. The print could be from the 20s/ early 30s by it's style, but perhaps made up later?

From the large sleeves, I'd put this at about 1936 - 37. Skirts were starting to get shorter and wider and the 'pouffy' sleeves were very popular in both day and evening wear. Possibly slightly earlier, although then I might be inclined to think it had been shortened.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
VintageVixie said:
Anyone here know Don Loper of Beverly Hills Originals well?

I have this Don Loper jacket, and while I imagine it's early-mid 50s, I'd like a better idea if possible.

I need to sell it, and I would like to have a better idea of what to ask for it. It's in near perfect condition with one tiny very mendable flaw in the backseam, even the lining is perfect. It just needs a steam.

oh ps- if anyone knows of a better way to sell online in the US than eBay, please let me know. I used to sell on eBay, but their seller fees have gotten ridiculous.

The Vintage Fashion Guild has photos of some Don Loper labels that might help you date it: http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/component/option,com_alphacontent/section,6/cat,59/task,view/id,430/Itemid,100/

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
Lovely dress and a great print, Shrinking Violet. The print could be from the 20s/ early 30s by it's style, but perhaps made up later?

From the large sleeves, I'd put this at about 1936 - 37. Skirts were starting to get shorter and wider and the 'pouffy' sleeves were very popular in both day and evening wear. Possibly slightly earlier, although then I might be inclined to think it had been shortened.
I'll bow to you on the print, and heartily concur with every other point. That is a GREAT buy, Shrinking Violet!

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
I was noodling around the thrift shop today and saw they still had this lovely eyelet 'slip', which I had seen and admired earlier, but did not buy on account of the rip on the bodice front. When I found out all pink tags were $1.00 today, I figured what the heck, if nothing else, I could save and reuse the fabric for something else period and bought it!

DSCF0056.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

It seems pretty old to me. Has no tag. the seams appear machine-done but the hems and facings are hand-sewn. I'm not sure what era, nor if it was for a girl, svelte flapper, or just a home-made slip of some vintage. It has 3 small darts at the upper bodice hem (both front and back), 2 bodice darts on each side, and a cool sculptured skirt seam. Any ideas?

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Thank you, Miss Sis and Sunny! And yes, the print whas what stole my heart :)
Very interesting points. So is there a difference between the pouffy sleeves of 36-37 compared to those of 38-39?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Jupiter's darling, I'd say that is a dress rather than a slip and from the early 30s. It most likely had a jacket of some kind that went over it that was hip length to compliment the low waistline. Sort of a summer garden party dress.

The material is early and the little darts at the back of the neck give it away as Pre-WW2. Bargain for $1!

Shrinking Violet, the pouffy sleeves of 36-37 are larger than 38-39. They tended to stick out more and come further down the arm towards the elbow.

I'm really loving this thread! Since I can't buy much at the moment (too poor!), I'm living vicariously through helping to date all your stuff. :)

Mary

Practically Family
Miss Sis said:
Shrinking Violet, the pouffy sleeves of 36-37 are larger than 38-39. They tended to stick out more and come further down the arm towards the elbow.

Wow! This is why I love this tread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925