Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Capes (not in the superhero sense)

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
So, my most recent weakness is vintage cape patterns. I’ve purchased 3 patterns and have my eye on another. 40s and 50s styles are my favorites, and I’m thinking I may never wear another jacket again! I just really like the look of capes (and this has nothing to do with the stupid superman movie!).

But does anyone know where I could purchase a real vintage cape, rather than a pattern? Sometimes it’s nice to just buy something that’s already been made.

Here’s one of the patterns I just purchased. I like views A and E the best.

BUT64130.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Its like you read my mind!

I was totally gonna make this cape for the fall.

1220.jpg

In a dark stiff wool. :)
I love the look of them too.

Yay capes*

LD
*(not the Superman kind)

Rosie

One Too Many
I like capes but I'm always scared I'll look bigger in them. I was totally going to buy this vintage-y dress a few months ago that came with a cape but, you know, it came with a cape.

I'd say look on ebay (isn't that my answer for everything?) If I come across some others in my searches, I'll repost.

anna_newman

New in Town
Perfect Timing!

Ladies, I'm having sewing block-- I need suggestions on a replacement lining for this cape. It's currently lined in a really cool plaid rayon,
but it must have gotten wet or something because the colors have run. (glad I didn't do that--I just hate it when I mess up vintage!:rage: )

I could put in a solid color, but since the cape itself is fairly plain other than the loopy-do's on the shoulders,
I think I'd like something more lively inside. I never find vintage plaid rayon, but maybe I just haven't been looking....

What do you all think?

And to Rosie, maybe if you choose a shorter cape, one that stops at or just below your waist and has some fullness in the bust,
you might like the way it accentuates your waist rather than making you feel "big." Like view E on the patterns below.

cape.jpg

capelining.jpg

Shimmy Sally

anna_newman said:
Ladies, I'm having sewing block-- I need suggestions on a replacement lining for this cape. It's currently lined in a really cool plaid rayon, but it must have gotten wet or something because the colors have run. (glad I didn't do that--I just hate it when I mess up vintage! I could put in a solid color, but since the cape itself is fairly plain other than the loopy-do's on the shoulders, I think I'd like something more lively inside. I never find vintage plaid rayon, but maybe I just haven't been looking....What do you all think?
Oooh, I love that, too bad the dye went running. Maybe a bright solid color lining? I don't know where you'd find another replacemnet like that... but then these things tend to pop up at just the right time.

decodoll

Practically Family
I love capes too. I recently got a 1930's velvet one on ebay fairly cheap. The fur trim around the collar was rotting, so I removed it, but I think I like it even better without.

Anna, that is a gorgeous cape!!! I'm sure that lining was stunning in it's prime. I just love vintage plaids. You could watch ebay for vintage rayon in a plaid, or how about this print from Thai Silks: http://www.thaisilks.com/prints_gallery/modern/show_print.html?img=5001

5001.jpg

Vanessa

One Too Many
Rebecca D said:
But does anyone know where I could purchase a real vintage cape, rather than a pattern? Sometimes it’s nice to just buy something that’s already been made.

Yard sales, yard sales, yard sales. (Ok, maybe an occasional estate sale).

I have three vintage formal capes (which, sadly, do not get worn very often) and each one I picked up at a yard sale for under $20 apiece. Look right after the main prom & wedding seasons, as that's when I've found they're most likely to pop up.

One of my finds was a dark blue velvet cape with satin lining, arm slits & a lined hood. . . . for $5. Another was a green velvet hooded cape with an off-white silk lining and beaded inner pockets - thinking it was a 'wedding' cape with the design of the beading.

Sorry - back on topic - antique clothing shops & malls usually charge an arm and a leg for capes, so I wouldn't suggest browsing them unless you're willing to part with the firstborn.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
That's exactly what I was going to say, too. There's some great silk prints, that are very vintage inspired! Miss Queenie just picked up some that look perfect for the 30's and 40's... (if you come to the Garment District LA jaunt after the Queen Mary we'll show you where it is... they have some great deco print silk chiffons too :) )

decodoll

Practically Family
anna_newman said:
Jennifer--that print would be perfect. Thank you! I should dash over to Thai Silks and check it out. Except that it's always very dangerous to the pocketbook to go there in person.....

I know what you mean! :) I'm glad you like the print. I've been meaning to use it for something for sometime now, but just haven't come across the right thing.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Ooh!

You know, I've walked into many an thift store/estate sale and found a cape and priced very cheaply too.

Capes are divine--I think

I think I need to buy that thai silk for a dress. What a great vintage style pattern. Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Lady Day, I love the style in view 2! That's exactly what I'm looking for! Most of the cape patterns I'm finding are to be worn with short sleeves, but the one you have is perfect for San Francisco weather.

I'll have to keep my eye out for that one.

Rosie, what if you wore a sleek, black cape? With those giant flowers in your hair and a pair of white gloves? I think you'd look spectacular!

Capes ARE divine!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rosie . .

Capes are gonna make you look shapeless anyway, the key is length. Get a layered cape that hits at the waste, or a straight one that hits at the waste, girl youll knock em dead!

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
Awww, thanks Lady Day and Rebecca D. Maybe I'll try one one day. I like the look of the biege one on the pattern cover. Maybe that in black with a nice black wiggle dress and silky red lining in the cape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot