Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CARHARTT jacket...i dun went country

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
nay...no rain for the pony flier

mr. blouson and mr. split pea...weren't you the two guys who kept trying to kill 007 in 'diamonds r forever'?

der luftpony is doing well, but mr. pea is correct, it has adorned my work area as an objet d'art during these hellacious rains...tho the carhartt has been accompanying me out into the storm...ironically, the carhartt totally needs break in, where my waffehorse was great upon arrival, and after several wearings it is soft, pliable, perfectly fitting, and yet rugged and strong...

hmmm, sounds like a description of yours truly...uh, not the 'soft' remark, but all the rest...yeah, that's the ticket...all the rest

one question, judging by this thread, what would happen if carhartt started making leather jackets...whew

Nigel

One of the Regulars
Sandstone Arctic Vest

After reading this thread and realizing just how threadbare my old vest had become, added to the fact that it split this week, I splashed out a little cash and bought this new vest. I prefer the original Carhartt gear in their traditional brown but for the price I wasn't going to pass it by. For $20 (new without tags) good eh.
!Bkc9oY!!2k~$(KGrHqYH-DQEs+YzuL,pBL(k9u6v2w~~_12.JPG

Peacoat

Bartender
Nice find, Nigel. I wore my Carhartt vest under my insulated Carhartt jacket this afternoon as I checked fence lines. That way if I find something that needs work, I can take off the jacket and work in the vest. It has a way to go before it needs replacement. I've had it about 6 years. Probably another 30 years of life left in it if I don't hang it on barbed wire and jerk back.

JSquared: Don't worry about your ELC shrinking like my Schott did. My Schott was naked leather (no finish applied), and I think that is why it shrank some. Yours is well finished, and maybe even chrome tanned, so it should be good to go in the rain. Mine is still wearable, just a bit smaller.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
OneEyeMan said:
Hey All,
Does anybody know the difference between Carhartt's Duck and Duck Sandstone fabrics?
I have a feeling that it's just that the surface is brushed.
The Duck Sandstone version of the Detroit jacket comes in more colors.
Lenny

Brushed and usually prewashed. Off the rack, new Carhartts in the 12 oz original canvas as stiff as a board, but tend to wear better over the long haul. Who's counting, but let's see... I have a Carhartt Arctic Coat, insulated bibs, uninsulated bibs, two Detroits (one for chores and one to wear to work), three pairs double front work dungarees, two pair denim five pocket jeans, 5-6 pair of single front dungarees, a lined vest, a chore coat. And I'm definately not a skateboarder.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Carhartt is the only 'work wear' that will stand up to the abuse of actually working in and be affordable enough to actually wear to work. And I don't skateboard

jeep44

One of the Regulars
jeep44 said:
I do want to get another Detroit jacket-I like the straight,non-elastic waist on it. No matter how thin you are,a jacket with an elastic waistband in the so-called 'bomber' style makes you look like you have a potbelly.
Didn't Paul Newman wear a Detroit jacket in one of his fairly recent movies?

Just bumping up this thread a bit. I just got another Detroit jacket yesterday. I don't suppose it will se any wear until fall, but I'm debating whether or not to wash it a few times before then-they really are stiff when new.

andy richards

Practically Family
Carhartt offer great workwear. Last november I bought a jacket at Cabela's in Dallas for about $65. And, USA made... Not bad for that price. I wear it while working on my truck, in the forest or on the farm. Excellent stuff.
Enclosed a pic. In the pic the jacket may look too small, but that's because I wear a pair of safety trousers for working with a chainsaw. The fit is excellent, same my aero....
Andy

1267963739NIMG00053.jpg

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
I don't know if you guys know - but you're wearing European skate.scene fashion clothes the kids here pay themselves silly to have. :D :D :D

Now for all the country yokels, I've got in my bookmarks a good (cheap) place in the USA called "Hank's Clothing" (free shipping & returns). Which sells Carhartt + all other "traditional" wear. I just need to have someone back in the states to do my purchases & forward it over, but anyways, finding say flannel-lined jeans in Europe... you kidding me?

injunjack

One of the Regulars
BigHairyFinn said:
I don't know if you guys know - but you're wearing European skate.scene fashion clothes the kids here pay themselves silly to have. :D :D :D

Now for all the country yokels, I've got in my bookmarks a good (cheap) place in the USA called "Hank's Clothing" (free shipping & returns). Which sells Carhartt + all other "traditional" wear. I just need to have someone back in the states to do my purchases & forward it over, but anyways, finding say flannel-lined jeans in Europe... you kidding me?

Forget the flannel lined jeans and buy couple of pairs proper Unionsuits.
That's what I did. Well, ofcourse unionsuits are not for everyone.

Jack
another Finn, in Espoo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav