Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cavanagh Edge Patent

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Finally found the patent for the Cavanagh Edge.

John Cavanagh was first granted a patent for his edge 25 February 1913. From the patent:

"Hitherto, it has never been thought possible that a hat could be formed with the edge turned over and felted in to the brim, or that any felt fabric could be felted to another felt fabric; but I have discovered that by making the fold in the early stages of the sizing, this may be done, and that by so doing, a turned-edge hat may be made, the fold integral with the brim as though made in one felting operation, and yet showing the turned edge and obscuring the inner edge."

Per his directions, the hat bodies are removed from the cone and dipped into scalding water - the sizing, or felting process. During this process, though, the edge is folded back on itself and temporarily sewn to hold it down during the remainder of the sizing process. After the felting is finished, the stitches are removed.

A second patent was granted to Cavanagh on 19 May 1931, which improved upon his original edge with the application of additional felt to the edge to give it more strength. Figure 2 below shows the folded edge, with the inserted strip of felt. Figure 3 is a rolled version of his edge, and Figure 4 is what is perhaps known as the balloon welt, though he doesn't call it as such. Figure 5 is the best known Cavanagh edge, also showing the additional insert of felt.

The grain of the inserted strip is at right angles to the brim's grain, which is what gives it the added strength.

CavEdge.jpg

Anyone interested in reading it for themselves can go to http://www.uspto.gov and search for patent number 1,805,977.

Brad

I am glad you posted that. Sometimes I don't think people believed me about the stitching part. :p It is not glued either. :p Now we know for sure.
I only wonder why we don't really find examples of commercially available sample from the first patent in 1913. Maybe it was not exactly a perfected process until 1931? More probable is that he didn't want anyone getting the patent before he did so he got the process in before he got the process perfected. All I know is that I would like to have all the money he received from just that one patent. That was quite a career maker.
We even still marvel at it today. Take that patent to a felter Brad. Make me one in 7 5/8. Maybe a Palomino color with a 2 1/2" brim and wide ribbon (1 1/2") around the crown (5 1/2"). :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Another interesting thing I came across: The Attorney of Record for the trademark of Cavanagh Hats of NY, registered by Hatco in 1952, is listed as one James F. Powers...

Brad

Mycroft

One Too Many
Brad Bowers said:
Another interesting thing I came across: The Attorney of Record for the trademark of Cavanagh Hats of NY, registered by Hatco in 1952, is listed as one James F. Powers...

Brad

James, where did you put that time machine ;). Thanks for the patten, how did you find it? I love technical drawiing, especailly old ones.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It took hours of browsing through old patents on the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's website. Patents prior to 1976 are not searchable by keywords, so I dug around until I found their classification schedule, and browsed through the subclasses, looking at patent after patent within a year range of 1925 to 1935. I finally found one that was for a machine that ironed brims with "reinforced edges," and the drawing looked like it might be a Cavanagh Edge. It referenced a prior patent number, so I plugged that number into their Search feature, and sure enough, it comes up under J. Cavanagh, Hat.

Brad

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Wow

I'm impressed . I wish that todays manufacturers would be able to duplicate this process.
I know that many of the hatters of the past copied the welting , but today nowbody ( Even Optimo Hats) knows how to get it right .:cool2:

Brad Bowers said:

Hey, hey! You need to stop looking around in the records. I am not telling anyone how old I am. :p All I can say is see I told you I know how it was done. I was there. :p ;)
It can still be done but you have to make the boidies with the design of the hat in mind. Once the edge is stitched in and the felting process ends, there is no way to go back and make the edge wider or trim it back. It is what it is and you have to work with what it there. That is why it is not exactly the cheapest edge around. The extra steps involved are labor intensive and the hat produced has to be very exacting. I imagine they could still do it but how many bodies are they willing to "experiment on" until they get it right? Even more important is how many hatters would buy the result even if they made them?
I am in for one. Anyone else? :p Come on keep my legacy alive. ;) :p
Brad, you spent quite a bit of time getting the documentation for that edge. Special thanks from me and I am sure from many others.

Regards to all,

J

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Brad,

Nice work digging this up. From someone who has spent many hours in the patent library, I know first-hand how laborious this can be. Thanks for investing your time to find this and sharing the results of your work with the rest of us.

Well done! :cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff