Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chatelaine

Caledonia

Practically Family
Question. Just bought a wonderful 1900s silver belt with a wee loop on one side. Research suggests that the belt is either the chatelaine or the thing that goes on the loop is. Any help here? If the belt is the chatelaine, what do I put onto the loop. If the chatelaine is the thing you put on, what is it? And, what kind of outfit should I be making to show this piece off with?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I LOOOOOOOVE chatelaines! Wonderful find!
Things like this would usually be hung from the chatelaines:

http://www.victoriasjewelrybox.com/sewing-notions.html

I belive chatelaines were either worn by the lady of the house or the head housekeeper and different things would be hung from them like keys, notepads, or sewing notions. There used to be a company that made a lot of reproductions, but I'll have to check at work since I think I have some left then can link you to them. Post a pic if you get a chance :)

Caledonia

Practically Family
Hope it shows up the detail. I am the worst photo taker. The wee loop is over on the left. And I am going to need some serious corsetry to get into it! I think I was a tad hopeful when I bought it. With clothes underneath, I'll need to start with a 24 waist..... So hand me the lettuce? :)

cameradownload120706_0391.jpg

Donna Stewart

New in Town
That chatelaine is stunning, and a real find!

Caledonia said:
With clothes underneath, I'll need to start with a 24 waist.

The way it's constructed looks like it could easily be extended by a jeweller without damaging it, by just adding a few chain links between each piece. Whether that ruins the value of the piece in your eyes or not is, of course, a matter of taste, but I don't think I could keep something as beautiful as that in my closet and never wear it.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Hi Donna! Glad to have you on board. Additional links sound like a good resolution to the problem. Better than the lettuce. It'd only need a couple in each place which I don't think would marr the overall feel of it. And I'm in total agreement - wear it! To be honest, these things aren't that expensive. I'm sure you can get solid silver ones that the lords and ladies wore, but this isn't one of them. :)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
It looks like you'll be in the market for a lovely corset to go with that chatelaine! No dieting needed! :)

If you are normally a 26-28" waist, there will be no problem to get that small. A 2" reduction you would barely notice, when you get to 3-4" it is merely tight.

After that discomfort starts to set in.
:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara