Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chest size suggestions for a civilian A-2 from the ealy 50s?

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
I do love the Aero "Happy Days" too. I just don't really like the grainy leather. Do you think the SMOOTH SEAL HH is an authentic looking leather if it was produced in the very early 50s?

View attachment 21292 View attachment 21293

View attachment 21294 View attachment 21295
To me, smooth seal HH reminds me of the 1970's Sears Leather Shop bomber jackets that were/are a dime a dozen. I think the grainier hides show a better patina and have that nice burnished finish so reminiscent of older 1950's vintage jackets.

Back in the 50's, they used the chrome tanned solid pigment dark brown stuff. If you want period look, you are fine. Aero's FQHH is pretty, but not really period accurate. Don't hurt yourself over thinking to death.....

I like dark seal, and I have a 40s jacket in it.

So you definitely think that Aero's SMOOTH SEAL HH on a HAPPY DAYS jacket would look authentic very early 50s, despite what thor said (sorry for questioning you thor)?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Dave this could go on forever, mate. Bascially almost any hide will look period - it's more what you want from that hide. If it were me and I had to go with Aero, I'd do goat or jerky HH. I woudln't want any hide thicker than 2.5oz. The Jerky horse is very similar to the hides on older style jackets. But frankly they used many different hides in the 50's (cow, goat, horse) and you can choose a range of options and still look period.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Dave this could go on forever, mate. Bascially almost any hide will look period - it's more what you want from that hide. If it were me and I had to go with Aero, I'd do goat or jerky HH. I woudln't want any hide thicker than 2.5oz. The Jerky horse is very similar to the hides on older style jackets. But frankly they used many different hides in the 50's (cow, goat, horse) and you can choose a range of options and still look period.

Beautiful, thanks Seb. Sorry for being so indecisive.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars

Wow. I love that one's colour and leather!

The description says HORSEHIDE.

What colour would that be?

$_12.JPG $_12 (1).jpg $_12 (2).jpg

Vicenza is more expensive.
Notjing wrong with smooth Horsehide, it will wrinkle and get texture as you wear it. Remember that these jackets have been used for 60 years. When they were new, they were smooth and evenly dyed.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Vicenza is more expensive.
Notjing wrong with smooth Horsehide, it will wrinkle and get texture as you wear it. Remember that these jackets have been used for 60 years. When they were new, they were smooth and evenly dyed.

Precisely.

Sorted - SMOOTH SEAL HH with SEAL WOOL cuffs and waistband. Brass zip.

You guys rock! Thanks a ton for all your help and patience!

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
I think you are right on track either way Dave!
Cotton lining will be good as well, although many originals had satin/rayon as well.

For this jacket style and era, most originals had quilted rayon or nylon linings.

I had a 50s suede bomber made by MAGNOLI CLOTHIERS and it has a quilted rayon (or nylon/satin) lining.

1950's men's vintage bomber jacket - brown suede - by golden bear 1.jpg 1950's men's vintage bomber jacket - brown suede - by golden bear 4.jpg

Is quilted rayon/nylon/satin an option at AERO?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred