Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chest size suggestions for a civilian A-2 from the ealy 50s?

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Hi,

I am looking at buying a reproduction of an early 50s civilian version of an A-2 and wondered about chest sizing for an authentic very early 50s fit.

Thanks to you guys, I have now have 3 options for this jacket:

Aero "Happy Days" Jacket:
964ccde05dcb264_happy days p1 copy.jpg

Aerial Star A-2 with Slash Pockets:
IMG_7919.JPG

NorShor Stratoliner with Leather Collar:
Stratoliner with a leather collar 1.jpg

I am 6'3.5" tall with a slim/athletic build. My chest measures at 44".

What width in chest (pit to pit) would you recommend for an accurate early 50s fit of this type of jacket for me? I'm thinking around 24" pit to pit?

Thanks,
Dave

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your best bet would be to contact the manufacturers of each of the jackets directly explaining your measurements and the fit style you are after. From memory a modern fit is generally chest measurement plus 4 inches. A slimmer vintage fit is more like chest plus 2 inches.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Thanks.

Not so much a manufacturer's recommendation, as I find they really vary.

I was more thinking what width in chest (pit to pit) would you recommend for an accurate early 50s fit of this type of jacket for me with a 44" chest?

From what I understand, pit to pit should be your chest (around ) + 4" divided by 2.
So your ideal pit to pit would be 24". If you want slimmer, take a half to an inch off.

For example- My chest is 38" and my pit to pit is 21".

In Aerial Star, you will definitely want a Tall/ Long. They each offer very different hides. I'd get samples to see which you like best.

Edward

Bartender
Hi,

I am looking at buying a reproduction of an early 50s civilian version of an A-2 and wondered about chest sizing for an authentic very early 50s fit.

Thanks to you guys, I have now have 3 options for this jacket:

Aero "Happy Days" Jacket:
View attachment 21074

Aerial Star A-2 with Slash Pockets:
View attachment 21075

NorShor Stratoliner with Leather Collar:
View attachment 21076

I am 6'3.5" tall with a slim/athletic build. My chest measures at 44".

What width in chest (pit to pit) would you recommend for an accurate early 50s fit of this type of jacket for me? I'm thinking around 24" pit to pit?

Thanks,
Dave

We're roughly the same size. I tend to look for a jacket that's between 46" and 48" around the chest. In this sort of style, which isn't, imo, cut to be worn too close to the body, I'd be looking a 48" jacket-chest measurement. If you're looking at the Happy Days, speak to Aero about measurements. Never tried one on, but I had the impression from previous information from folks who bought them (might have been on here?) that they're a bitg more relaxed in fit than the typical A2. Not modern/eighties blousey relaxed, but not a late thirties slim-fit. Which, of course, is accurate to the slightly more relzed fit of the fifties originals I've seen. Had I not had the good fortune to pick up an Apprentice-Made Highwayman when Ken took on a lot of new staff at Aero in 2012, I'd have been considering a black Happy Days in a mid-weight hide (Fonzie's, of course, was actually a very dark seal brown which only looked black in certain lights) for warmer weather wear. The Aeriel Star looks neater fitting to me, which would make sense if it's the same pattern as their military A2 except with slash handwarmer pockets.

They all seem to be cracking jackets. I've never dealt with or handled anything from Aeriel Star, but those in these parts who have seem very pleased with both customer service and quality of product. Price-wise, they look to be a great deal. I own one of the very early Mark Fisher jackets, pre-Norshor, pre Superior light Apparel, even. The quality of Mark's construction in that jacket is superb, as are the materials. I'd certainly consider buying from him again. Aero's customer service and quality, of course, are well known in these parts. In this instance, I think it's as much about what hides they use and cost as anything. I've never found any reason to believe I could go far wrong with an Aero, but Mark is great and AS look great too. Maybe one of each in different colours/hides? ;) The jacket I bought from Mark was a stunning reddish-brown cowhide. The newer Aero goathide in black would be great for one of these too.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I'm 6' 1" and have a 44" chest. A 24" pit-to-pit measurement usually is my ideal jacket chest measurement, but, as others have said, it does depend on manufacturer as well as the type of jacket.

Just lately I've started looking for this same style of jacket (no more A-2's for me for a while!). Johnson Leathers made a custom jacket much like this (with fur collar) for a TFL member. It looked smashing! Also, ELC's Air Comfort is intriguing if you like a fur collar.

Please keep us posted on what you eventually choose. Good luck!

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
From what I understand, pit to pit should be your chest (around ) + 4" divided by 2.
So your ideal pit to pit would be 24". If you want slimmer, take a half to an inch off.

For example- My chest is 38" and my pit to pit is 21".

In Aerial Star, you will definitely want a Tall/ Long.

Thanks handymike. That has confirmed my thoughts - approx. 24" from pit to pit.

Now my problem...

A size 44 regular from Aerial Star has a chest (pit to pit) of 24.5". Here are its measurements:

Across Chest: 24.5"
Across Shoulders: 19" (closer to 19.5" epaulet to epaulet)
Sleeve Length: 24" (27" including wool wristlet)
Back Length: 26.5" (including wool waistband)

An Aerial Star size 44 tall is exactly the same except for the sleeve length and back length. Here are its measurements:

Sleeve Length: 25" (28" including wool wristlet)
Back Length: 27.5" (including wool waistband)

A 44 regular is much closer to my ideal measurements in terms of body length (my other 50s repro jackets measure 27" from where the shoulder seam meets the collar down to the bottom edge of the knit waistband; or 26" when measured from the bottom of the collar down to the bottom edge of the knit waistband - this has my jackets just sitting below my belt line), but may be a fraction too short in the sleeves (again my ideal is 27" measured from the shoulder seam down to the end of the wool wristlet), because my other repro jackets have a shoulder seam measurement of 20", whereas the AS jacket has 19-19.5" shoulders.

A 44 tall will give me the extra sleeve length but will definitely be too long in the body. :(

Dave

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thanks handymike. That has confirmed my thoughts - approx. 24" from pit to pit.

Now my problem...

A size 44 regular from Aerial Star has a chest (pit to pit) of 24.5". Here are its measurements:

Sleeve Length: 24" (27" including wool wristlet)
Back Length: 26.5" (including wool waistband)

An Aerial Star size 44 tall is exactly the same except for the sleeve length and back length. Here are its measurements:

Sleeve Length: 25" (28" including wool wristlet)
Back Length: 27.5" (including wool waistband)

A 44 regular is much closer to my ideal measurements in terms of body length (my other 50s repro jackets measure 27" from where the shoulder seam meets the collar down to the bottom edge of the knit waistband; or 26" when measured from the bottom of the collar down to the bottom edge of the knit waistband - this has my jackets just sitting below my belt line), but may be a fraction too short in the sleeves (again my ideal is 27" measured from the shoulder seam down to the end of the wool wristlet), because my other repro jackets have a shoulder seam measurement of 20", whereas the AS jacket has 19-19.5" shoulders.

A 44 tall will give me the extra sleeve length but will definitely be too long in the body. :(

I would think Chris would be able to make you a short size, but you'd have to run it by him. Also, I think it's ok for a pit to pit to be +.5 across the chest. It might be slightly roomier, but not by too much. I think my AS size 40 had either a 22 or 22.5 pit to pit.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
I'm 6' 1" and have a 44" chest. A 24" pit-to-pit measurement usually is my ideal jacket chest measurement, but, as others have said, it does depend on manufacturer as well as the type of jacket.

Just lately I've started looking for this same style of jacket (no more A-2's for me for a while!). Johnson Leathers made a custom jacket much like this (with fur collar) for a TFL member. It looked smashing! Also, ELC's Air Comfort is intriguing if you like a fur collar.

Please keep us posted on what you eventually choose. Good luck!

Thanks thor for the measurement info.

I'm not in to the fur collar version unfortunately.

Cheers,
Dave

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
I would think Chris would be able to make you a short size, but you'd have to run it by him. Also, I think it's ok for a pit to pit to be +.5 across the chest. It might be slightly roomier, but not by too much. I think my AS size 40 had either a 22 or 22.5 pit to pit.

I have asked him to adjust the jacket length and sleeves, but he says he can't anymore (apparently it was an option in the past). :(

nick123

I'll Lock Up
You know what? I'd just keep the standard and leave the extra half inch of back length. It's better to be safe than sorry, as you can always have it shortened. Also, I never got around to measuring it, but I'm not sure if Chris's knits are wider than typical A-2 or aftermarket knits. If they are, getting them replaced down the road with knits from another maker might only work if you have the extra length added.
I'm not sure if his knits are indeed wider or not.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
You know what? I'd just keep the standard and leave the extra half inch of back length. It's better to be safe than sorry, as you can always have it shortened. Also, I never got around to measuring it, but I'm not sure if Chris's knits are wider than typical A-2 or aftermarket knits. If they are, getting them replaced down the road with knits from another maker might only work if you have the extra length added.
I'm not sure if his knits are indeed wider or not.

That's pretty good advice. He tells me his knits are 3" width, both for the wrist and the waist.

But the problem with the 44 regular then still lies with sleeve length at 27" (including the 3" wool wristlet). I have checked my other repro 50s jackets with wool wristlets, and both have 20” across the shoulders + 27” sleeve length (24” + 3” wool wristlet). Therefore, I would really want the sleeves to measure a comfortable 24.5” (+ 3” wool wristlet) to make up for the slightly narrower shoulders on your jacket. Or am I being pedantic?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
That's pretty good advice. He tells me his knits are 3" width, both for the wrist and the waist.

But the problem with the 44 regular then still lies with sleeve length at 27" (including the 3" wool wristlet). I have checked my other repro 50s jackets with wool wristlets, and both have 20” across the shoulders + 27” sleeve length (24” + 3” wool wristlet). Therefore, I would really want the sleeves to measure a comfortable 24.5” (+ 3” wool wristlet) to make up for the slightly narrower shoulders on your jacket. Or am I being pedantic?

I had 27.5" sleeves on my size 40 to account for my long arms. While this length works for a moto jacket, for a flight jacket I found the sleeves bunching up and tunneling quite a bit. For a perfect sleeve length, I should have gone down to 26.5". If I was in your shoes, I'd go no longer than 27".

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
I had 27.5" sleeves on my size 40 to account for my long arms. While this length works for a moto jacket, for a flight jacket I found the sleeves bunching up and tunneling quite a bit. For a perfect sleeve length, I should have gone down to 26.5". If I was in your shoes, I'd go no longer than 27".

Thanks Nick.

(PS. You must have some very long arms! ;))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner