Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College wardrobe

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Also reminds me; I should probably figure out what to replace my red Jansport backpack with, eventually. Of the nearly five years I've used it, it's not only starting to show a bit of wear and tear, but I also believe that it would look pretty out of place with even just a sport coat. Now this is where something leather might come in well. I'm currently thinking some sort of briefcase or weekend bag, any opinions? I'm not particularly sure about messenger bags. It is almost as if using one is also a fashion statement these days, not to mention the derogatory nickname of "murse."

"Murse": male nurse? No other ideas...
Anyway, if you are still looking for a briefcase, ask for one of these for Christmas from Saddleback Leather. Pricey, but beautiful - and they do have a 100 year warranty.
In my case, I am using a cheap leather briefcase from Wilson's. It does the trick, it is much nicer than my old backpack, and I can actually wear it with sports coats.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
"Murse": male nurse? No other ideas...
Anyway, if you are still looking for a briefcase, ask for one of these for Christmas from Saddleback Leather. Pricey, but beautiful - and they do have a 100 year warranty.
In my case, I am using a cheap leather briefcase from Wilson's. It does the trick, it is much nicer than my old backpack, and I can actually wear it with sports coats.

Lol I meant "murse" to mean "man purse." I suppose it's used mainly in contemporary male fashion circles, though. I take modern fashions with a grain of salt, there's some stuff I like, but even that's classically oriented. I prefer a classically inspired wardrobe to what may pass as fashionable and trendy today, yet I try to look presentable and "cool" all-the-while. Striking somewhat of a balance, perhaps.

Anyway, I plan on purchasing either a tweed sport coat or a navy blazer, but I'm leaning towards the tweed for a slightly more casual look. I'd like to own a traditional, brass button blazer, but around here, that's almost unseen, and may be a bit "nautical" looking, due to stereotyping (of which I am also guilty of). I do however, see tweed sports jackets, mostly on professors and older gentlemen, rarely even on college-aged guys.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Back in college, I never had all those things. Money was tight. The budget was balanced for tuition, books, and beer. I got by with a leather jacket, Pendleton shirts, Levi's, & Tony Lama boots.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Back in college, I never had all those things. Money was tight. The budget was balanced for tuition, books, and beer. I got by with a leather jacket, Pendleton shirts, Levi's, & Tony Lama boots.

That sounds kinda expensive actually. Most of my stuff comes from thrift stores for under $5.

sproily

Practically Family
True. I never buy clothes unless they are period correct. Then I just have to buy them if I find some. Always needing something, though...

Qirrel

Practically Family
True. I never buy clothes unless they are period correct. Then I just have to buy them if I find some. Always needing something, though...

Indeed. I feel the same way when i find something old that fits me. This has however lead to my formal wardrobe being worthy of a millionaire and my casual wardrobe *quite* small.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm like that too, but it's left me in a dilema since last Thursday. I spotted a brown 40s fedora, a silk plush top hat and a black waistcoat (for formal daywear) in a vintage shop. All of them fit perfectly, yet I can't buy any of them due to monetary constraints. Plus I can't justify more clothes when I already have seven suits, a similar number of sports coats and three hats.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Lol I meant "murse" to mean "man purse."

:eusa_doh: I figured this out the other day when I collapsed my lunch cooler bag to its folded form, threw its strap over my shoulder, and well... it looked like a murse.

Anyway, I plan on purchasing either a tweed sport coat or a navy blazer, but I'm leaning towards the tweed for a slightly more casual look. I'd like to own a traditional, brass button blazer, but around here, that's almost unseen, and may be a bit "nautical" looking, due to stereotyping (of which I am also guilty of). I do however, see tweed sports jackets, mostly on professors and older gentlemen, rarely even on college-aged guys.

Buy whichever sports coat you are most comfortable with. I first bought a corduroy sports coat, because it was more causal, easily paired with jeans, and I felt less self-conscious about wearing it. I have since moved on to wool herringbone, solids, and checkered patterns, and even camel hair - and now feel most comfortable pairing them with slacks and a tie. I think that you will find that the more you wear a sports coat, the more comfortable you will feel - and the more you will want to wear one.

It is easy to buy more than one if you hit the thrift stores. I purchased four nice sports coats this semester for $8 each. Another option is a used suit store. It may be less of a bargain, but they may still have some nice coats at reasonable prices.

As for navy blazers, I agree: something about the brass buttons puts me off. I prefer the silver ones.

By the way, don't feel bad if you are one of the few to dress a little nicer. You will probably find that you will receive lots of positive feedback.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
By the way, don't feel bad if you are one of the few to dress a little nicer. You will probably find that you will receive lots of positive feedback.

Come to think of it, I do get quite a bit of positive feedback on my style. Throughout the past two or three semesters, I have received compliments from students, both male and female, and professors as well. My hats have a lot to do with it, I believe, but also my occasional wearing of a sports coat before (it's too big now), and more recently a leather jacket have gathered comments of their own as well. Without intending to sound as if I'm trying to boast, this is all true. I think my generation, as well as the older, can still admire classically inspired style.

I have to admit though, I don't take this as far as some of the other members here; my wardrobe at the moment is more blue-collar, than reflective of how upper-middle-class individuals my age during the mid-20th century may have dressed. As you can see, I incorporate a lot of denim in my wardrobe, whether it's a shirt or jeans.

Here are some of my wardrobe goals for early to mid 2011:

-Have a sport coat that fits (as I've said, I plan on purchasing one)
-Have several slacks (I own three, but I plan on buying two more before heading to Europe this summer, if it turns out as planned)
-Have two more felt hats (I'm thinking Stetson Open Road and Stylemaster by Akubra)
-Another thing I intend to do is to gradually wear jeans less, as my slacks and chinos collection expands
-Wear ties more often (I like ties, but I never pair them with jeans)

And by 2012, I'd like to have accomplished the following:
-Get a decent, wool overcoat or topcoat, whether solid or tweed patterned
or
-Purchase another leather jacket
or
-Get myself a trench coat (I've been putting off getting a khaki or brown trench coat, as I don't want to seem as if I'm trying to go for the stereotypical "detective look" so suddenly. After all, I've only been wearing hats regularly for a little over a year. I'm under the impression I need to ease my way into this style, not start into it so suddenly)

Notice how I put "or?" I'm on a tight budget now, and I may be then as well.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Maybe you're thinking something along the lines of Dylan Thomas? He almost looks like a proto-hippie to me.

arts-graphics-2008_1185901a.jpg

Nice photo of Dylan Thomas; whom appears more prep than proto. ;)

kyboots

Practically Family
I am like most of the group, and money after tuition, books, and housing was tight in college. It was Levis' ( tight as I could get ), turtle neck sweaters, and even green plaid bell bottom slacks, with brown Frye boots. Tony Lamas and Luccheses came later. It was a revolutionary time including the National Guard on-campus at the University of Kentucky. ( Not obscure as was implied earlier with its blue and white colors ). We opposed the Vietnam war yet wore Army jackets. It was a time of contrast in more ways then one. Loved every minute of it!------ JB you never can go wrong getting the Navy blazer. Granted it is not dramatic but the utility will amaze you. You can use for everything. In college it will come in handy. BTW get a Stylemaster, I love my "Acorn" color, and it goes with everything too ! John

Last edited:

Corky

Practically Family
The most important item in my college wardrobe was an off-white Aran Sweater...

It seemed like every time I wore it, I got lucky.

Well, since I'm in a rural part of Florida (by rural, I mean 'We have nothing but chain stores and subdivisions where the orange groves and cow pastures used to be'), my wardrobe consists of a lot of jeans. On the flip side, if I know I'm doing something minutely important, I can break out the khakis. Buttons up are a must for me (and so is keeping them tucked in), and for shoes I usually stick to some loafers or topsiders. I try to keep a sports coat in my car for when it gets cold or I'm going somewhere, and I have yet to acquire a good Panama hat to wear in the sun. As for outwear, I have a few bomber jackets and a GI issued trench coat for when its pouring rain.

Certainly a far cry from the list at the beginning of this thread :p

Flargingod

New in Town
In my honest opinion, this level of style should be practiced on and thus achieved earlier than college. Sort it out in high school. After all, I am in my early years of high school and have already far surpassed the number of sportcoats and all else that were reccomended earlier in this thread. In fact, I have been dressing well for as long as I can remember, adn I think that anyone that wants to look good should do so as soon as possible. It has certainly helped me be a more respectable student andelevated me in the small community that is my school.

Classic Style Always and Forever,
-S. Bacque

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Too bad this look is out of fashion.

SP_196536_HO_wkget.jpg

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that the French beret, sleeveless Fairisle pullover, fishtail trousers and a tweed jacket (with spats and a bow tie on special occasions) are my common work wear.
As a university lecturer I can (just about) get away with it...
...or so I've been kidding myself.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that the French beret, sleeveless Fairisle pullover, fishtail trousers and a tweed jacket (with spats and a bow tie on special occasions) are my common work wear.
As a university lecturer I can (just about) get away with it...
...or so I've been kidding myself.

Now that I'm not just a postgrad but am teaching as well, I've decided that I will only ever show up to seminar in a suit (which is normal for me, but I do have off days). I was in tweeds with a bowtie on Friday, I save spats for my nicer suits. Two girls in one of my seminars did have a fit of the giggles first class, but I think they're over it.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
When I started teaching (20 years ago) I wore spats/suits for pretty much all of my scheduled lectures.
I tend to wear a very nice houndstooth Harris tweed button three from the 50s on a daily basis now. Giggling doesn't happen often now - I've grown into the spats...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner