Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College wardrobe

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
In my honest opinion, this level of style should be practiced on and thus achieved earlier than college. Sort it out in high school. After all, I am in my early years of high school and have already far surpassed the number of sportcoats and all else that were reccomended earlier in this thread. In fact, I have been dressing well for as long as I can remember, adn I think that anyone that wants to look good should do so as soon as possible. It has certainly helped me be a more respectable student andelevated me in the small community that is my school.

Classic Style Always and Forever,
-S. Bacque
I agree with you to an extent. However the list is simply ment as guidelines for young college students on a budget. Of course there is also the issue of outgrowing clothes. I first began to aquire proper suits a year and a half ago when I was 17, and my suits from then still fit me now. At 6'1" I've caught up with my father and older brother so I think it's a reasonably safe assumption that I won't grow any further. Over the last year I've been building up my wardrobe in preparation for when I moved away from home last June, so I have a reasonably complete wardrobe now only lacking a few pieces such as spectator shoes and morning trousers.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
My intended wardrobe for university will be:

• Four or five three piece suits, possibly more

Three overcoats

Two jumpers

15 shirts, six patterned (stripes) the rest white

One pair Oxford Bags in medium grey

One pair casual trousers in khaki, baglike in the legs

Various hats and flat-caps, ranging from trilbies to mauve and yellow checked caps

Five pairs of shoes, one white, two two-tone, two pairs of brogues and one pair of Oxfords

An indeterminate number of blazers and sports jackets

My uncle's old leather jacket

Anything else I find along the way that can be thrown together

And all the essentials such as ties, collar bars, cufflinks, studs and so on as well as the underwear contingent.

Fifty150

One Too Many
My uncle's old leather jacket

Sounds like my nephew wearing my old A-2 from high school. But with our family's genes, by the time he's in college, he'll have outgrown it too. We are from peasant stock. Men with broad shoulders, barrel chests, bulging biceps, and forearms like Popeye. My family was selectively bred to work the fields.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
We don't seem to have changed much since the Golden Age, genetics-wise - we're still all roughly the same height, build and even our health-characteristics are the same. The leather jacket's got side-adjusters too, so it's got enough room for me to grow slightly sideways as I've, thankfully, stopped going upwards.

Dixiecap

New in Town
Matt i've got to say thankyou so much for starting this thread!
I started college back in september and have used this to build up a good vintage style wardrobe, mostly modern pieces worn in a classic way.
I now only wear jeans once a week (casual monday as my friends call it)
most of the time is trousers, shirts and jumpers!

I noticed you where all discussing university wool scraves - mine is a cambridge unversity half blues scarf - the kind they give to the rowers and other athletes, I don't go to cambridge (not yet anyway!) but wear this scarf all the time. I got it from the university outfitters Ryder & Amies for £18 I think thats about $25???????? But here you go:
tumblr_lh3hsbwRyX1qfg6hwo1_1280.jpg

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
I'll be attending college this fall and am planning to use Mr Deckards list as a helpful guideline. I have three V Neck sweaters, athough only one is a sweater vest. 3 suits, one of which is DB and a few sportcoat. A tweed sportcoat and navy blazer are both in my wardrobe as are multiple khaki pants/navy pants. Also a classic tan trenchcoat and a couple of wool overcoats for when its really cold and lots of hawiian shirts for when its warm. Wardrobe for college seems ok so far but theres other things I wish to get such as a houndstooth sportcoat, tweed cap and a few other things from this list in particular.....let me know if any of you have any other suggestions!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Is that 'Oxford Bags', the trousers invented in the 1890s, not - and I repeat not - in the 1920s (see the 'Oxford Bags' thread).

Gene

Practically Family
Good grief, this place is turning into The Oxford Bag Lounge. ;)

Agreed! I think the renewed interest in baggy trousers is a sort of backlash against the skinny trousers that have been so prevalent the past few years, and I'm not just talking about here but in mainstream fashion as well. Dear god I hope we don't revert back to the late 90s...

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I was thinking of a song that went "Bell Bottom Trousers, are coming back again" on the internet. the only reference I found was on this forum. But I did come across a reference to a song from the 40s called Bell Bottom trousers. It is an extremely sanitized version of a bawdy sea chanty. Look it up on Wikipedia and you will be shocked anyone even thought to do a version. It is quite risque. Anyway, I got to thinking. the reference is to naval uniform pants. I have heard that the reason the navy wore flared pants is that they will trap air and help keep you afloat if you fall in the water. Makes sense.

So, I am going out on a limb here and calling foul on the old story of the oxford bags being invented to cover plus fours at oxford. Well, it may be true they did that, and that may be why they are called Oxford bags. But I suggest that they certainly did not invent the style, rather, adapting it from an older style or from the navy.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
you've obviously missed the Oxford Bag thread over in general attire !

Nope, I have several posts in that thread.... While the Oxford Rowing team discussion is thought provoking, I just wish there was more photos and catalog scans of wide legged 1920s-1930s with obscure details for me to poach and reproduce!
avalos3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner