Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colors for Redheads

Kishtu

Practically Family
I think Anabolina hit the nail on the head..... visible eyebrows

The hotter the sun, the more orange my hair gets, till it fades to a sort of yellow at the ends. I draw my eyebrows on with a pencil ;)

My wardrobe is half black, and half autumnal colours - green is a big favourite, but starting to get into dark reds.

Can I raise a shout for textured fabric for redheads, too? A good nubbly autumnal tweed sets off glossy red hair most handsomely....

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Kishtu said:
Can I raise a shout for textured fabric for redheads, too? A good nubbly autumnal tweed sets off glossy red hair most handsomely....

Now that just sounds delicious!!! I can't wait for fall!!:D

Kishtu

Practically Family
I'm glad it's not just my imagination :) it's one of my big peeves about "modern" clothes, there is just no texture to them! Makes such a difference...

Bring back sensuality in clothing, I say.... it shouldn't just look good, it should feel good!

christa

New in Town
Natural redheads and makeup problems

I'd like to know how many of you that are natural redheads?
I'm asking because if you are a natural redhead or close to, I'm sure you ladies know what a hassle it can be with skin tones.

I was born with red hair myself and pretty much every color I wear tend to make my skin tone change. And that goes for make up too. Anything yellow makes me look sick, and anything pink makes me look like a pig :D

Some tips if you have red in your hair and a fair skin with a bit of redish included:

1: Avoid pink or olive toned foundations. Foundation bases with pink tones make your face look more pink than it naturally is (the piggie look) and olive tones make you look sickly---pick a neutral, beige-like foundation. A little yellow is ok, but only a little.

2: Pick soft pinks and warm shades of blush to give yourself a healthy glow. If you like bronzer, use it lightly.

3: Neutral is natural. Stick with neutral shades of eyeshadow to look casual yet polished. Light and mid-browns, champagnes, rich chocolates are best. Neutral and light pinks are also a good choice. For a more dramatic look, plums, greens are my top picks.

4: Red-brown or dark brown are best for both eyeliner and mascara, though it depends on your shade of red hair. Strawberry blonds should always stick with light browns, but darker redheads can get away with black.

5: Don't go too dark with your eyebrow color---choose a soft red-brown pencil or a light taupe powder, or otherwise you'll make your skin look paler and unnatural.

6: Lipstick is best in nude shades or vibrant ones. Pale or dark pinks and browns are always good choices, but don't be shy to go bold with a dark red or plum. Do avoid red-orange shades, like peach.

Personally I've got problems with tiny blood vessels in my skin that are visible after being outdoors in the cold too much when I was younger. Water in the pores freeze and explode when it gets too cold, which damage the skin and gives the cheeks a red tone. Not the most flattering thing in the world I might add.

These days I use Max Factors Age Renew foundation and that works well enough on a day to day basis. But there are concealers that you can get that works just as well.

Red hair might be beautiful to many, but the skin that follows is sometimes nothing but a nightmare.

Christa

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Natural redhead here. Although the ruddiness is annoying and I turn full-on red at the drop of a hat, I rather love the freedom of being able to wear just about any incredible jewel tone out there! There are a lot of cool benefits. I'll post some more about colors once the threads are merged, but I pretty much only use warm tones and peaches--but coloring, even among redheads, covers every end of the (pardon the pun) spectrum. More to come.

Norty_Lady

New in Town
I'm a natural red head and have found it hard to find a red lipstick that dosen't give me yellow teeth and strip my face of any colour thats there if any. I discovered Mac's Russian red and it seems to suit me.
I use benitint from benifit for my cheeks and I dye my eye lashes black. Eye make is neutral cream base and browns for contouring with benifits moonbeam for highlighs dark brown eyeliner, though I use black liquid eyeline for a night out. My problem is that my skin colour is 'dull and flat' and dosen't photograph well. I've used light reflecting face powders but nothing has worked so far! :(

christa

New in Town
@ thebadjamamama - these days I must admit that I love my hair color and the different contrasts it creates. Wasn't always like that though.
And warm tones works in most cases, that's true too :)

Norty_Lady - when it comes to make-up and photography there's a lot of things involved that matters. It comes down to what kind of light that is used really, but of course also the make up base. Avoid flash photo if you can. Flash isn't playing nice with anyone and it will make anyone look like a flat ghost ;)
As for a foundation and photos it's tricky to find something on the market that will be flattering for skin that has a way of looking a bit "dull".
You could try Illuminare Fantastic Finish Foundation in a tone that fits your own skin. A snap lighter than your own skin tone for it to look good....and a bit of translucent powder just to make it less shiny.

The keyword when it comes to makeup and camera lenses is high pigment. The more pigment in the makeup, the bigger chance that the camera will give a good end result. With regular daylight or indoor lighting you don't need much of it however, so apply with moderation ;)

Personally I use both Illuminare and a couple of other professional brands in the studio that works on most skin qualities.

You can find the Fantastic Finish Foundation here (ducks in case it's not ok to post a link in here) :D

Christa

Norty_Lady

New in Town
Hello Christa!

Thanks for the tips I will have a look at the products you mentioned. I guess it's a case of trial and error. I'll keep trying things out and will let you know if I find my holy grail lol .
Many thanks again xxx:)

kerry

One of the Regulars
Hello fellow redheads:) I am going to a wedding this weekend and would like a summery look for my makeup. I usually use macs russian red lipstick. Can anyone suggest a lipstick for me to try? The dress I am wearing (if I finish making it in time) is a duck egg blue with little yellow flowers with green leaves so I thought a coral lipstick might look better. Any ideas?

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I've had a bit of hair ADD this year, so here's my bit:
pale honey blond to strawberry blonde: Used a semi-permanent and it washed out very quickly, within a month. It looked fabulous while it lasted but didn't match my naturally dark brows and I had to switch around my wardrobe (no more neutrals, essentially)
strawberry blonde to black: Stylist used a semi-permanent, but my hair was so dried up from years of blonde highlights that it just sucked up all the color and after some initial fading (to a dark chesnut) it remained dark with virtually no effort. Unfortunately, I looked terrible as a brunette (it emphasized my pale, yellow toned skin, my dark circles, and made my freckles look crazy).
dark chesnut to red: Semi-permanent to cover up the brown, then added highlights and covered the whole thing with more semi-permanent. I ended up with beautiful dark dark brownish red with highlights ranging from copper to almost honey. I told one of my new co-workers that I dyed my hair and they didn't believe me!

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
Hair Colour (redheads!) xx

Hello! I've been dying my hair for years now, by myself, or at the salon... and I've been from reds to blondes to my natural brown, had highlights and lowlights, but I've never been happier than with reds.

I'm thinking of going back there now, but I'm having trouble finding the sort of red that will suit me - this is the sort of thing that I'm looking for. This is the sort of red that suits me more, not too red, more of a ginger colour really (and I love that dress!)

mfs9.jpg

Could anybody recommend me a dye to use? I've not had much luck on the high street so far, I can't quite find what I want. Any tips on keeping my red red would be very much appreciated, too. Products available from the UK would be brilliant but I'd be willing to order.

Thank you so much!

xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24