Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colors for Redheads

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Redheads
cosmetics
foundation: golden-beige, cream-beige, peach-beige
blusher: tawny, peach, apricot, coral
eyeshadow: sludge-green, russet, teal, golden copper
eyeliner: moss green, charcoal, brown
mascara: dark brown, green
lipstick: brick red, coral, peach
lip pencil: light brown
nail polish: coral, brick red

Accessories
Jewelry: ivory, wood, coral, amber, tiger's eye, jade, turquoise, emerald, topaz, yellow diamonds, pearls with a yellow cast.
shoes and handbags: Bone, tan, brown, olive
Hosiery: Flesh toned, bone, gray-beige, olive. Avoid pink.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Hail to my redheaded kin on this thread! I'm a natural redhead--yup-the pale skin and eyes and all. I'm an artist and have studied color for most of my "natural" (sorry for the bad pun) life. I find that contrast is the key for redheads. Yes, we do look great in colors that go on our palette such as the warm oranges and reds, but it's the JEWEL TONES--the deep royal purples, teals, emeralds, and striking royal blues that really make us pop. We're worth royal colors, ladies. Flaunt them.

Try checking out color theory through the probably now-defunt "Color Me Beautiful" line of cosmetics and books--you can test yourself and find out just what "season" you are and just what colors you should wear. You'll know it's right when people step back and comment about how great you look, but they can't really figure out what it is--you're dazzling them with color and it affects their mood and how they see you. Amazing, really. There is such power in color and redheads really have the advantage of that power if they know how to use and balance it.

Again, hail to my redheaded sisters out there.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I find this also works for me, is that, even as a brunett, if you have red highlights, the colors to pick should be of those of a redhead. Though, with going back to my natural hair color, I can use some colors that are more darker whereas before looked way too stark on me.

Kim_B

Practically Family
I'm a redhead by choice - colored my hair as an alternative to chopping it all off as a deal with my hubby. :) He just doesn't understand why I change my hair style every 6 months or so by letting it grow out then chopping it all off, so he suggested a new color. Smart boy, he is! I even let him pick it out, as I tend to lean toward colors that won't stray far from my natural color (which if I remember correctly is a dark blond/light brown...) but he chose a lovely deep auburn red - I believe the color is by Garnier and is called Pomegranate (True Red). To keep the color as vibrant and long-lasting as possible, I use John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo and the Radiant Red Hair Masque. I also use, on days where I'm out in the sun a lot, the Radiant Red Anti-Fade Serum - puts a nice sheen on it and protects it from the sun and things.

I never really gave it much thought before now as to what colors to avoid - I just wear what I've always wore. Even with fair skin (read: pale as a ghost!) I've never really been concerned about it. When I started reading this thread, I was a little worried that I'd been breaking some fashion rules! But I say as long as you're comfortable and it doesn't make you look like you're ill, go for it. I think it's more of a personal choice than anything...

I find that blacks, warm reds, pinks (yep, even pinks!), greens, blues...well, pretty much anything looks good with my hair color/skin color combination. I have one shirt that I don't really wear a lot, and it's a bright pumpkin orange. I'll usually wear it when my color has faded to more of a brownish shade instead of the vivid red.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Kim, believe me, even hair dying can be very addictive!:eusa_doh:
As long as you like what you seeing, great! That is what I think the biggest thing about looking good, being happy with yourself. And there are the rare like you who can pull off with wearing just about anything.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
How did I ever miss this thread before? LOL!
As I said in the blonde thread, sometimes if you just darken your eyebrows you can wear more vairety of color than you think.

I always get compliments when I wear aqua, turquoise or teals. I think the dusky pinks look fab on natural redheads with brown eyes.

I think lilac is pretty on most redheads, and cheetah print, ha!

Nikki

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Greens, purples, blues all look attractive on redheads and on brunettes with red/blonde highlights IMO. White an black also looks good. :)

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
hail redheaded sisters

When I was a kid I was strawberry blonde,then I grew older and it got darker...but come summer, a deep redhead not the ginger/orange.Ive been coloring it since high school.I always tell people I have the temper and just plain evil associated with this color...haha.Now days I have face framing fire engine red,and then overtop purpleish red with some deep black red highlights.Looks very awesome.I also have piercing bluuuuue eyes,and the Irish fair skintone.

Ive always varied the different shades of red,Ive just always wanted something more red than my natural tone.My Father is also a deep redhead but my family is ALL Black Irish.I also have no eyelashes and super blonde eyebrows without makeup.

I find blues look best...red hair and bluuuue eyes with navy is something.I also stick with pale pinks and black too.I have some nice purples,and pale yellows too.Id never wear full fire engine red though.

Finally a thread about our hair color ;)

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Question, kids:

I'm a redhead (duh) and I've always wanted to go a bit bolder on eyeshadow, moving into the greens. Any brands/colors/suggestions for greens? THANK YOU!

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
We don't have any full-on bright redheads in my family, but my dad's side has strawberry blondes and my mum's has dark auburns, so I've been left with something in the middle. I'm naturally a medium red-y brown, and every once in a while I'll get a semi-permanent red/auburn dye job just to unleash my full inner redhead! I do semi-permanent because it fades out nicely back to my natural color over a few months rather than leaving me with roots-- my favorite color is actually when it's about half-faded out. I love being able to have a whole spectrum of reds over a few months!

I love experimenting with colors for clothing and makeup with my hair, although I've fallen into a bit of a rut lately. The one color I've never been brave enough to try is yellow-- have yet to find a good one with my hair and skin type. I do find that I have great success with black and white, various greys, blues, and I get tons of compliments with a dusty rose/pink. (Of course, all the standards of greens, autumns, etc.)

About the makeup question... whenever I do greens, I tend to use dusty/smoky greens for eyeshadows. They blend well with either browns/tans or greys, depending on if you want to take your look warmer or cooler. I like this look with a brown, autumnal toned outfit.

Well, I've rambled on long enough.... its great to find this wealth of info here-- both vintage and redhead! Thanks gals.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm a natural redhead, complete with orange "glow" (freckles that I hate). My Orange Glow, I feel, really limits me when it comes to dying my hair. If I go any lighter or any darker, I'm completely ORANGE. I hate it. I've had every hair colour of the rainbow at some point -- the worst was black.

But when it comes to makeup, I'm not so discriminatory! I only have one makeup rule -- NO BLACK EYEBROWS! Other than that, I'm limitless! When it comes to eyeshadows, my favourite colours are blue, green, purple, and I even like to brush on hot pink blush onto my lids. If you ever do this, trust me, don't use a regular eyeshadow applicator! Just a light dusting with a blush brush will have a magnificent effect. I also NEVER go without my bold black mascara, eyeliner (sometimes I do cat's eyes if I have time!) and my bold red lipstick. Without these, I look like a complete wash-out. I hate it!!

I stay away from browns, beiges, and "natural" tones. Not that they don't look good, they just aren't for me. I like to be a bit on the "Drag Queen" side of things ;)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Release Your Inner Redhead!

Q; Who is a good candidate for red hair?
A; Because of the broad range of red shades-from deep shimmering mahogany to medium copper auburn to light strawberry blonde, with an infinite array of selections in between-most women can wear some shade of red haircolor, either placed as highlights or a full-head application.
While almost any skin tone can be vamped up with red, cooler skin tones look best in deep, cool reds and warmer skin tones can wear shades from rich auburn to strawberry blonde.
Red hair looks most natural on women who were red as a child or who have parents who are redheads. In terms of eye color and skin tones, red is most attractive on people with green or blue eyes and cool or creamy skin tones. Women with darker skin tones should choose a deeper, cooler red shade. For lighter skin tones, choose a lighter and warmer red shade. And, if red is new to you, start slowly with a shade that is near your natural level and see how it wears.

Q; What is the best way to care for color-treated red hair?
A; It's important to understand that haircolor requires expert hair care. Color-treated hair needs protection from UV and environmental damage, heat styling implements and minerals in water. All of these aggressors attack haircolor and cause fading. Red, blonde, or brunette, all color-treated hair should be maintained using a color protecting shampoo and conditioner.
Using a formutlated for color-treated hair is a definite must! Up to 45% fo color loss is attributed to shampooing. Be sure the shampoo has a PH factor below 5.5, to mimic hair's natural acidity. Always use cool water when rinsing, this helps to close the cuticle layers, thus keeping the color vibrant and deep within the hair strand. Hot water opens the layers of the hair and can contribute to color loss.
But don't reds fade faster than other haircolors? Because red hair molecules are small, they tend to shampoo out or fade more quickly than other haircolors. So it is particularly important to use shampoos and conditioners that are formulated for color-treated hair. Use a color-refreshing shampoo in the same tonal family as the shade you've chosen.

Q; How often does red haircolor need to be touched up?
A; Recolor ever four weeks to keep your red haircolor vibrant. In between, you may want to refresh your color with a glaze. Ask your colorist about this process. Consistent touch ups every four to five weeks are extremely important with reds. If you wait too long between touchups-when the new growth is over half an inch- your body heat may process the color closest to the scalp faster, resulting in what we call hot roots. The color will be brighter at the scalp in comparison to the mid-lengths and ends.
Remember this rule of thumb: the greater the distance between your new haircolor and your natural color, the more often it should be touched up. This helps to avoid harsh lines of demarcation and 'color-banding' on future applications. Generally single process should be touched up every four to five weeks; highlighted hair can often be touched up every two to three months.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
thebadmamajama said:
Question, kids:

I'm a redhead (duh) and I've always wanted to go a bit bolder on eyeshadow, moving into the greens. Any brands/colors/suggestions for greens? THANK YOU!

I also really like the almay set of greens....its a dark green a lighter green and a sort of purpley accent color.....work really nicely as well.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
African-Americans going red
Should know...
*If you have deeper skin tone, a plum or a brighter red shade may look best. Always do a strand test to check results. If you relax your hair, wait at least one week and one shampoo before you color with permanent haircolor.
*Today's super-conditioning haircolor-such as Ion Color Brilliance, which is formulated with wheat germ protein and ionic buffers to help sooth scalp-is perfect for fragile, multi-cultural textured hair.

Latinas going red
Should know...
*Red hair is very popular among latinos. In a recent survey, 40% of latino women listed red/auburn as their favorite shade. Adding some red highlights is a good way to see if you like the red color with your skin tone.
*All over color and highlighting ar both options. When a full-head color service is desired, try to stay within two to three levels of the natural hair color to avoid excessive brassy tones.

Asians going red
Should know...
*Using red as an accent color for highlights can be very attractive.
*Asian hair types can be resistant to haircolor. Ask your colorist about an optional heat processing method that helps the color to penetrate on resistant hair types.
*Coarse hair may require the use of a higher strength of developer and/or a longer processing time.

Blondes going red
Should know...
*The lighter blonde you are, the more vibrant your red color result will be. Start with a subtle change, like a copper or strawberry shade.
*The most flattering shades of red for blondes are light coppers. A cool red will look very harsh and unnatural.
* Demi-permanent haircolor is a great introduction to the 'red haired' world. Your colorist can easily enhance and change existing medium or dark blonde hair.

Brunettes going red
Should know...
*Highlighting is a great introduction to red shades. Place a few highlights around the face, fringe or top sections of the hair.
*Auburn is a good choice for brunettes. Most brunettes have warm tones in their hair, which is important to consider. For instance, someone with medium brown hair, who wants to acheive a lighter brown, with just a hint of red, should choose a color with a cool or neutral base.
*Brunettes should take into account that they have a tremendous amount of natural underlying warm pigment. For the most natural looking red, talk to your colorist about shades that are one level lighter than your natual hair color in a gold or neutral base.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
dyed red with warm skin

I'm a natural brunette that changes with the seasons, which can create a bit of a make up problem...

In the winter, I darken my red to compliment my paler skin, and I can get away with wine shades of eye shadows and the pinker hues for my cheeks.

In summer I lighten my red and it compliments my tanner skin, but I have the worst time trying to find eye color shades, even sometimes blush shades.
So far, all I seem to be able to wear are a pale golden beige on my lids with a reddish or tan tone in my crease, and a sometimes I use a coral blush to give the sunkissed look, or I like Benefit's Dallas to contour. I've tried Smashbox's O-Glow (which is actually pretty rad), as it's supposed to give you your "natural blushing shade", but I'm not in love with it.

I'm lost when it comes to my summer make-up! I love greens as I have hazel eyes, and my eye color changes with whatever makeup I wear, but they look kinda silly on me. :( I think my large creasy lids don't help either. double:(

Any ideas? I've searched this board for the last 2 hours... LOL And everytime I go to a make-up counter, they are no help, and try to sell me their newest line of whatever...:mad:

ShortClara

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
Blondes going red
Should know...
*The lighter blonde you are, the more vibrant your red color result will be. Start with a subtle change, like a copper or strawberry shade.
*The most flattering shades of red for blondes are light coppers. A cool red will look very harsh and unnatural.
* Demi-permanent haircolor is a great introduction to the 'red haired' world. Your colorist can easily enhance and change existing medium or dark blonde hair.

Speaking of blondes going red...

I agree with starting with a subtle change, I went strawberry blonde first. However, cool reds look much better on me than the copper reds. I think it's dependent on your tones. It's not "natural" per se, but it's striking, better looking and I don't care about the natural part. I doubt Clara Bow's red hair looked natural either :)

Also, doing roots as a blonde is touchy - I have a bit of hot roots right now because I just switched colorists, but it's not too bad. Maintenance is the big thing - you must invest in fantastic shampoos & conditioners (I recommend Pureology) and wash your hair every other day at most in cold water to really keep the color. Even then it will fade. I did my own color for a while and after I ended up with multicolored bands of red, I only get it done in the salon now. So blonde to red is a big commitment. My $.02

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I swear by Pureology.Best product I've used on myself or my clients in the entire 17 1/2 years that I've been doing hair.

anabolina

A-List Customer
ShortClara said:
Speaking of blondes going red...

I agree with starting with a subtle change, I went strawberry blonde first. However, cool reds look much better on me than the copper reds. I think it's dependent on your tones. It's not "natural" per se, but it's striking, better looking and I don't care about the natural part. I doubt Clara Bow's red hair looked natural either :)

Also, doing roots as a blonde is touchy - I have a bit of hot roots right now because I just switched colorists, but it's not too bad. Maintenance is the big thing - you must invest in fantastic shampoos & conditioners (I recommend Pureology) and wash your hair every other day at most in cold water to really keep the color. Even then it will fade. I did my own color for a while and after I ended up with multicolored bands of red, I only get it done in the salon now. So blonde to red is a big commitment. My $.02

Yes, this going red thing is a big commitment. I think I've been a red head for a couple of months and I'll admit I'm getting kinda tied of doing my roots. I never knew my hair grew so fast, ;) I suppose it doesn't help that my natural hair color is so much lighter then the red I dyed it. I'll admit a more coppery auburn red would have loked more natural. When I first dyed my hir, my sister did too and hers was A LOT more suble. I think it was a light auburn and it just made her hair a little more golden and looked quite nice and it was close enough to her natural color that you can barely tell when the roots come in. I went ahead and diid my eyebrows too and I think I'll continue to do them, maybe in a light to medium brown, even after I take my hair back to blonde. It's really easy and its great to have visible eyebrows for once, although that means I had to start waxing them too, hmmm, tradeoff but worth it.

I love this thread. You know, I had to put up some of my colors I used as a blonde, but I've found that I can still wear a lot of the colors I wore before. I do wear green eyeshadow a lot more now. I actually just got this pearly green from Everyday minerals that it really quite nice. I can't remember the name of the color though. I guess I just own way too much makeup. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24