Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colors for Redheads

maisie

Practically Family
mysterygal said:
You know, I never realized Rita Hayworth was a red head! I always figured her for a brunette [huh]
She changed her hair colour lots during her time!! Naturally she was a brunette though:) , but then wnet through lots of shades of red and then to blond later on!!

maisie

Practically Family
Brunette:
icall4help.jpg

Redhead:
redress.jpg

yellow.jpg

auburn.jpg

poorviccutout.jpg

Blond:
colblonde.jpg

But then later on i think she went back to being red as this was her trademark hair colour!!

Caledonia

Practically Family
Shimmy Sally said:
Your hair looks very light in your icon picture. Does your hair wave that way naturally, or do you have to set it? Your style is gorgeous.

Thanks Sally. I've got naturally really wavy hair so I only need a bit of mousse or some other creamy curl hold product to sharpen it up, and a bit of frizz ease on less stylised days. The style there has loads of mousse first then big rollers, followed by brushing through over the head to push the curl and wave to the bottom or round my face. Hairspray if it's going to be windy. If it gets misted with rain I end up with corkscrew curls round my face which look marvellous, but I can't force them or the hair rebels and goes straight! :rolleyes:

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Rita started out dancing with her father's troupe, The Dancing Cansinos. Originally, the movie studios played up her ethnic look, then decided to make her look more "all-American" by dying her hair. She even underwent electrolysis to raise her hairline.

Another interesting tidbit--Myrna Loy was a natural redhead, but her early movies played her up as an "exotic" Theda Bara type, and she often was cast in the role of a gypsy, etc.

47b6d625b3127cce8ba5e338e85700000015108AatmbRq2ctP

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I think everyone knows that I'm a sucker for Lucille Ball,one of my fave redheads.
Thought I'd post a few 1940s glamour pics,so ya'all can see her less zany side.(though it's the fact that she could be slapstick and zany while retaining her glamour that I love)

lucy00.jpg

10269.jpg

A great black and white:
3128886.jpg

She looked great in black,white,and silvery blue.

maisie

Practically Family
She looks so different in that last picture compared to when she was dong comedy!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Me too,I've borrowed from her lots.Sometimes on purpose and others with out realizing it.

Went to a hangar dance in this,it was a 40s theme,but I just felt 50s that night and went with it.
47b6db02b3127cce89df80444db000000015109AbOXLFk0bS

The hubby and I as Lucy and Ricky one halloween:
47b4db31b3127cce9a3b43ee813100000055119AbOXLFk0bS

My fave pic,Ricky finally puts Lucy over his knee inspired Naughty X-mas cards:
44b3a25631823.jpg

So that I'm still somewhat on topic, note the navy and white dress with red accessories,fab on a redhead,but I do love my black.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
rubyredlocks said:
Me too,I've borrowed from her lots.Sometimes on purpose and others with out realizing it.

Went to a hangar dance in this,it was a 40s theme,but I just felt 50s that night and went with it.

So that I'm still somewhat on topic, note the navy and white dress with red accessories,fab on a redhead,but I do love my black.

Bwhahaah wait until you see the dress I wore!! Let me go find the photo!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
lol
I think Lucy must have been known for polka dots,I always think of her when I see them.
You look adorable!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I think you are right. Big polka dots. That seems to be what all the impersonators wear. But I am try to think back to her wearing polka dots and now I can't. I will keep an eye out since I watch the show everyday at 5:30. :)

Thank you!! ;)

Shimmy Sally

Caledonia said:
If it gets misted with rain I end up with corkscrew curls round my face which look marvellous, but I can't force them or the hair rebels and goes straight!
I get the tiny tendrils around the hairline when it rains also. It looks nice with an up-do. Too bad I’m not into the Victorian look. When it’s humid my hair curls up, when I try to straighten it, I just end up with big, poufy hair. There's no controlling it.

There is a big difference in what looks good on someone with naturally red hair, as opposed to someone who dyes or wears a wig. Generally speaking, we redheads (the real ones) tend to have unusual coloring, be fair (very light skin), strawberries & cream (pink tones) rather than peaches & cream, a sprinkling of freckles, pale blue/grey/green eyes, with hair that is thick and has more body. We have our own set of issues involving hairstyles and which colors are flattering. I've found that many colors I was told would look bad on a red or golden hair, look fab on me. That dark "pumpkin spice" orange, peanut butter yellow, and rust red/brown for example. One must experiment. Don't go with the cool/warm, autumn/winter/spring/summer season BS, it's much too confining. Like I stated before, the color analysts get frustrated when it becomes clear that I am both warm and cool, which breaks the rules. We can't all fit into 2-4 color catagories for heavens sake! lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
Rita started out dancing with her father's troupe, The Dancing Cansinos. Originally, the movie studios played up her ethnic look, then decided to make her look more "all-American" by dying her hair. She even underwent electrolysis to raise her hairline.

Since I've really become quite a fan of Rita Hayworth as of lately, I got ahold of a biography of her at the library, 'If this was happines'. Great book for anyone who loves biographies. It's just so dang depressing, yet, I can't stop reading!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
rubyredlocks said:

I think you look darling! Besides, if it was the Meacham hangar dance, nobody would have known the difference between eras anyway. lol

I adore Lucy for the reasons you mentioned - she could be beautiful or she could be zany and silly. I love watching the old episodes late at night.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Wow ladies, you look amazing! I think we can concur that redheads are pretty much the most outstanding group of all, but then I may be a teensy biased ;).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24