Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concealed Weapons and Style

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
Greetings all,

To those who carry, what is the most comfortable and easy-to-conceal method you have found, especially when wearing a suit or other accouterments?

I've been around guns all my life, I own a number of weapons and I'm finally getting around to getting my CCW license here in the great state of Oregon. I am a rather small fellow, leaving me with fewer nooks and crannies in which to hide my piece. On top of that, who wants to destroy the line and drape of their suit? :eusa_doh:

So far I've found the following threads, but neither of them seem to touch comprehensively upon this topic:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=16882
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=3427

Regards,
Matt

beezaur

New in Town
I think you would have to get a fairly small gun, like a Sig P232 (.380 auto) or a snub revolver in .38 special.

I like shoulder holsters, but if the cover garment comes off, you risk a brandishing allegation.

This is an issue I am working through myself. I went through Gov't .45, 3" Ruver SP101, and am about reduced to Sig P232. "Better than a sharp stick," as they say. Having a gun that is capable of being concealed in a pants pocket is a real advantage.

Scott

warbird

One Too Many
Fumbling for a gun in the pocket when you need it is very difficult. A shoulder rig is easily seen and uncomfortable with a suit coat unless it is quite baggy. It may be the cool and more movie like way, but it isn't the safest most comfortable or most easily concealed. A paddle holster is comfortable but again easily seen.

The easiest way to conceal and have access to your firearm is an inside the pants (IWB) holster. But it it must have a rigid frame around the mouth and be specially made for sweat, so as not to ruin your pistol. Those two points is where most holsters fall short. I recommend the Milt Sparks. I also recommend several holsters for you primary carry piece to offer different configs for different styles of dress. But don't make the mistake of too many rigs or too many firearms. Consistency in everything is absolutely crucial to safety and efficiency. If you ever need it you don't want to try and remember what you are carrying or where it is. It has to be almost instinct.

I recommend you talk to or get advice from only those who actually carry a firearm. It is serious business and not about what is cool or what they do in the movies. Far too often I have seen people take advice from sources like these. Its worthless, talk to those who not only carry but who have been trained to be proficient. In my case I talked to professionals, my father in law a retired NYPD and exec protection bodyguard, taking courses at places like Gunsite which I have done or making buddies with experts in the field at gunshops etc.. There are folks like that in every area.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I carry almost exclusively IWB strong side (I'm a rightie) at about 3-3:30 which is just behind my right hip (like flying, 12 o'clock is directly in front of the body and the clock goes around to the right). If you're slender and wearing a jacket anyway, consider a good OWB holster, they are more comfortable but require a better belt.

My shoulders are wide enough that there is plenty of room for the gun tucks into the hollow on top of my hip and I have my coats tailored around the gun. Which is kind of odd feeling until you realize most tailors take it in stride. The coats end up a bit bigger in the waist area than would be strictly "perfect".

I carry a Colt LW Commander and it is effectively invisible under everything from a baggy untucked polo / t-shirt on up.

Vintage issues:

Belt holsters require belts, not suspenders, you either double up or go to a paddle.

High waists and hi-ride holsters can put the gun butt up in your armpit.

Tightly fitted jackets need to be tailored out and can look odd, though that comes down to the tailor.

Unbuttoned jackets make for faster draws but are gauche.

Vintage plusses:

Heavier drape fabrics don't print (show the outline of what's underneath) as badly.

Lots of pockets, often nice and deep.

More layers (DB suits, overcoats) give more layers of concealment.

Carrying regularly means you have to make decisions about wardrobe all the time, vintage is no different.

warbird

One Too Many
carebear said:
I carry almost exclusively IWB strong side (I'm a rightie) at about 3-3:30 which is just behind my right hip (like flying, 12 o'clock is directly in front of the body and the clock goes around to the right). If you're slender and wearing a jacket anyway, consider a good OWB holster, they are more comfortable but require a better belt.

My shoulders are wide enough that there is plenty of room for the gun tucks into the hollow on top of my hip and I have my coats tailored around the gun. Which is kind of odd feeling until you realize most tailors take it in stride. The coats end up a bit bigger in the waist area than would be strictly "perfect".

I carry a Colt LW Commander and it is effectively invisible under everything from a baggy untucked polo / t-shirt on up.

Vintage issues:

Belt holsters require belts, not suspenders, you either double up or go to a paddle.

High waists and hi-ride holsters can put the gun butt up in your armpit.

Tightly fitted jackets need to be tailored out and can look odd, though that comes down to the tailor.

Unbuttoned jackets make for faster draws but are gauche.

Vintage plusses:

Heavier drape fabrics don't print (show the outline of what's underneath) as badly.

Lots of pockets, often nice and deep.

More layers (DB suits, overcoats) give more layers of concealment.

Carrying regularly means you have to make decisions about wardrobe all the time, vintage is no different.

Excellent advice. Very nice.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I haven't gotten a concealed carry permit yet, but I have yet to figure out where I can hide anything. Most of my coat pockets can just about handle a cellphone. Usually.

Guys have it so easy.

-Viola

carebear

Viola said:
I haven't gotten a concealed carry permit yet, but I have yet to figure out where I can hide anything. Most of my coat pockets can just about handle a cellphone. Usually.

Guys have it so easy.

-Viola

One of the more fun parts of the class was teaching for a while while dressed in street clothes and then, in response to "where to carry" questions pulling out gun after gun.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
carebear said:
One of the more fun parts of the class was teaching for a while while dressed in street clothes and then, in response to "where to carry" questions pulling out gun after gun.

Do that in a '50s sundress and espadrilles and THEN I'll be impressed! :p :D

-Viola

Dan G

One of the Regulars
Here's another fan of inside waist band. I carry in an Andrews Leather MacDaniel II which I like a lot. If I can hide a Government model at 6'1 160 pounds anyone can do it!
I also hear nothing but good about Milt Sparks. Especially the Versa Max II they offer. And there based in Idaho. Doesn't get any better than that...;)

Sam at Andrews leather is an awesome guy to deal with and he usually keeps his MacDaniel in stock for common pistols. The wait on Sparks was like 6 months the last time I heard. Definitely don't skimp on a nice holster though. A Galco will cost you three quarters the price of a real nice one and you'll never be happy. At least I wasn't with mine. :(

http://www.andrewsleather.com/
http://www.miltsparks.com/

beezaur

New in Town
A small gun in a horizontal shoulder rig conceals pretty well for me.

One thing you can do to try concealment options is to get a reasonably similar holster to what you want, and a Red Gun or other training dummy. You can see how you like it and no worry so much about printing. If the worst happens and the law gets involved, I think you have a pretty good excuse, and no actual weapon is involved.

One thing about belt holsters is that you all but loose the ability to bend over -- you will print really badly if you do, with most guns. The plus side is that you can conceal a full-size auto that way. I used to carry a Beretta 92F in a strong-side inside-the-waistband (IWB) hoslter, and sometimes carry my gov't model .45 that way now.

If you want a full size gun in a shoulder holster, the Galco Jackass rig works pretty well. It puts the muzzle diagonally up just under your armpit. The butt hangs down at the bottom of your rib cage. I can conceal my Beretta 92F under a flannel shirt or light jacket that way.

The other option for a full-size auto is a vertical rig. I use a Galco vertical holster for my .45. Some like the Bianchi X-15 vertical rig. However, you have to be very careful with what you wear, since the muzzle will print very easily.

You can always get a snubbie and an ankle holster . . .

Scott

carebear

dr greg said:
Did they teach you the "change in the lining for a quick draw" trick?

Right side I have pepper spray and my keys for weight. Plus, I slide my hand in along my side up high, shoving the jacket back with my forearm then coming down onto the gun, as opposed to flipping the jacket back with the edge of my hand. Works with whatever cover garment I'm wearing.

carebear

beezaur said:
...you all but loose the ability to bend over...

Yep, you learn to bend at the knees and squat like a lady... ;)

Some like the Bianchi X-15 vertical rig.

I seem to recall someone got a Bianchi X-15, for free, for a vintage look not long ago but has yet to post a picture.

WH1

Practically Family
carebear said:
Yep, you learn to bend at the knees and squat like a lady... ;)

Carebear, I think I speak for everyone on the forum, we would all like to see a picture of you in your sundress and espadrilles doing that.lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner