Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concealed Weapons and Style

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've successfully carried up to the S&W .44 Mountain Gun in jeans with a golf shirt untucked to conceal it. The best thing you can do is go to a store that stocks an assortment of holster rigs and ask them if you can try them on and if it's ok to bring in your piece- unloaded and safe of course- to see what fits best.

"Printing" is a problem ongoing with plain clothes law enforcement people. If it is a suit you plan to wear mostly try different rigs and even different weapons. A thick .45 or Glock, or any double column magazined semi-auto might not wear well. Or it might in a waist holster and not a shoulder rig. If you are very serious about it do what James Bond did hand have your suit custom tailored to allow for the weapon in the armpit area.

Off the shoulder there are several carries. One is barrel pointing back through the armpit. Another is barrel pointing straight up so you unholster by pulling the weapon downward. You can also get a set up with barrel pointing down butt forward for a snap draw out of the holster.

In the waist you can use a holster that goes on the inside of the trousers mounted either on the left ot right side of the pelvic area depending on what is most comfortable for you to draw.

Whatever you end up with make sure its the largest caliber that you can possibly carry without bulging.
th_violent018.gif

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I could never get front of the body to work for me. Too much sitting and bending involved in my jobs I guess.

One thing the belly bands can be useful for is to wear with the gun in a "normal" strong side position but with the shirt tucked in over the top. You then don't need a belt on your pants and there's no holster loop at all to show you're carrying.

The gun is accessible by pulling the shirttail up, with your off hand prior to the draw.

Viola,

Some women use these due to women's clothes lack of good belt loops and pockets.

For a website by a very experienced female shooter (and mod on another forum I read) directly aimed at women and gun ownership and carry, try www.corneredcat.com .

She covers particular women's carry issues (with pictures) as well as discussing the ethics and morality of gun ownership, the basics of safety and shooting for folks unfamiliar, and some specific "mom"-type issues. Great site for any male shooter's spouses turned off by the testosterone of most men's shooting sites and for male shooter's who want a very good set of info and perspectives.

vintage68

Practically Family
You have three considerations when choosing a CCW piece. First is the weapon. I'm a big fan of 1911's, they have a very thin profile and conceal the best when you're talking a larger caliber. Second is the holster: IWB (In the Waistband) is the most concealable. I like this one:

http://andrewsleather.com/

Third is a GUN belt, like those available here:

http://www.thebeltman.net/

Regular belts simply won't cut it. They need to be specifically made FOR a gun.

My carry piece is a 1911 (what is more vintage than that?), with a Andrews MacDaniel II, and a belt by The Beltman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner