Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Correspondence - Find a Pen Pal

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I think I'm ready jump onboard with this, provided, as others have stated, it's not too late. If not, I would like to be included.:)

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have very much enjoyed corresponding with my two "pen palls", and would be glad to add another one or two. Lady Day, are you still "coordinating" the pen pall list?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Big Man said:
Lady Day, are you still "coordinating" the pen pall list?

I guess I can.....:)

Just send this info.

Name (first and last)
FL user name
Address (including country)
eMail

to shelleyj@gmail.com
Put Fedora Pen Pal in the subject line and Ill compile a list soon.
Yeah, Im loving my pen pals too :)

LD

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Hey Lady Day,

Did you get my email on this? Just checking here because I've had some weird blips lately.

Thanks!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
I guess I can.....:)

Just send this info.

Name (first and last)
FL user name
Address (including country)
eMail

to shelleyj@gmail.com
Put Fedora Pen Pal in the subject line and Ill compile a list soon.
Yeah, Im loving my pen pals too :)

LD

Ok, I sent you an e-mail! Hope you got it...

Travis

Suspended
Sefton said:
Will letters from those with a taste for the Film Noir come written on an old Underwood typewriter and smell of cigarettes and gin?

That will probably be me when I end up getting an Underwood. Right now it will probably just be a sheet of paper and fountain pen ink that smells of cigarettes and gin ;) . Well, probably not actually, I tend to write letters inside and smoke outside. Anyway, I'm interested in this. I love the ideas of writing letters, I wrote my mom a long letter a few months back and sent it to her, and she called me and asked "why the letter? You could just call or send an email, it would be cheaper and quicker."

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Is there a list in circulation here, or is it a PM thing???

Travis - was looking at some old Underwoods on the Bay recently, coz I'd love to pull off some kind of film noir detective look when I'm writing, but I'm afraid to buy one in case it doesn't work properly. I think I'd be devestated!

Travis

Suspended
JazzBaby said:
Is there a list in circulation here, or is it a PM thing???

Travis - was looking at some old Underwoods on the Bay recently, coz I'd love to pull off some kind of film noir detective look when I'm writing, but I'm afraid to buy one in case it doesn't work properly. I think I'd be devestated!

I was wondering about the circulation list vs. PM question myself. As for the Underwoods, I've been looking recently too. I think in a few months when it will fit in my budget, I'm going to get this from http://www.mytypewriter.com:
UN_Universal_Matte_M.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shelley - just emailed you the requested info for joining the pen pal list! If you didn't get it, let me know.

Although I plan to hand-write (with fountain pen, no less!) any pen pals, digging out the old typewriter might be fun as well. I liked Jazzbaby's idea of a using it for a film noir detective look. I've got the old manual typewriter my grandfather used in the 20's and that both my mom (in the early 40's) and I (in the late 60's) learned to type on. One of my cousins calls it the "Murder, She Wrote" typewriter, although the one shown at the start of the TV show was probably a little later and I believe a different manufacturer. Mine's a boxy Remington that's earlier than the ones on the site Travis listed, but thanks for a great resource for ribbons and such! I haven't used the typewriter in years...finding ribbons was getting tricky in the pre-Internet and early Internet days of a decade or so ago. Asking for a typewriter ribbon or carbon paper at Office Max or Office Depot and the like is something akin to high-button shoes and buggy-whips.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:
Shelley - just emailed you the requested info for joining the pen pal list! If you didn't get it, let me know.

Although I plan to hand-write (with fountain pen, no less!) any pen pals, digging out the old typewriter might be fun as well. I liked Jazzbaby's idea of a using it for a film noir detective look. I've got the old manual typewriter my grandfather used in the 20's and that both my mom (in the early 40's) and I (in the late 60's) learned to type on. One of my cousins calls it the "Murder, She Wrote" typewriter, although the one shown at the start of the TV show was probably a little later and I believe a different manufacturer. Mine's a boxy Remington that's earlier than the ones on the site Travis listed, but thanks for a great resource for ribbons and such! I haven't used the typewriter in years...finding ribbons was getting tricky in the pre-Internet and early Internet days of a decade or so ago. Asking for a typewriter ribbon or carbon paper at Office Max or Office Depot and the like is something akin to high-button shoes and buggy-whips.

Ooh...a pic of that typewriter please! We should really have a thread on vintage typewriters, they're so iconic - thanks, in part to film noir detectives.

Speaking of which, don't forget to record some kind of 'She walked into my office like a cool breeze on a hot summers day...' narration to play while you type. Or would that be taking it too far?lol

Travis

Suspended
JazzBaby said:
Ooh...a pic of that typewriter please! We should really have a thread on vintage typewriters, they're so iconic - thanks, in part to film noir detectives.

Speaking of which, don't forget to record some kind of 'She walked into my office like a cool breeze on a hot summers day...' narration to play while you type. Or would that be taking it too far?lol

:eek:fftopic: Since I too think there sould be a thread on typewriters, and since the conversation seems to be drifting toward them and not on correspondences, i created one. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=237225#post237225. Enjoy.:eek:fftopic:

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'm anxiously awaiting the pen pal list too. It would be fun to type the letters but, alas, the only typewriter I have available is an IBM from the 80's at work. Hardly out of "The Front Page"; perhaps I should get myself to ebay? I may use a fountain pen but I'll have to write carefully since my handwriting is atrocious.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
FL Pen Pal list 3!!

Alright folks,

The third list for FL pen pals will be going out by the end of the week. There are about 10 or so folks who are interested this go around and anyone else interested just send follow my instructions above.

Later gater,

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Update...

Hi folks. Have had a swamped weekend so no list today, but my tomorrow is free so Ill be sending it out then. For those who still want in on the game just send the info.

Write you later,

LD

Travis

Suspended
Lady Day said:
Hi folks. Have had a swamped weekend so no list today, but my tomorrow is free so Ill be sending it out then. For those who still want in on the game just send the info.

Write you later,

LD

Just out of curiosity, did you get my request? I am sure you did, but just double-checking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy