Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Could Aero Reproduce this Californian?

FlameoftheWest

New in Town
Do you think Aero could make a jacket that would look exactly like this one?

jacket1u.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

jacket2e.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

More images here: http://www.poohbang.com/2010/11/vintage-californian-horsehide-half-belt.html

blethook

One of the Regulars
Do you think Aero could make a jacket that would look exactly like this one?

The quick answer is yes, but it will not look exactly like that.

There are existing Aero halfbelt jackets that look very similar to the one in the pictures so probably they will modify their existing jacket to look more like what you want (i.e., changing the angle/position of the pockets, straight back yoke, etc.)

They won't cut a new pattern just to make one for you, however...

The problem with most Aero jackets is that the sizing is based on modern body fit. I have 39"-40" chest but have to wear size 36, with smaller turnings, to get the kind of fit I want.

Hope that helps...Nice jacket btw :)

FlameoftheWest

New in Town
Thanks Cole, I actually have a Raiders jacket that was made by Tony, I'm just not too fond of the management at TNO after Tony died. Plus I want to get it made of horsehide and prefer the cuffs of the jacket to be like the original Californians. I wish John Chapman with Good Wear didn't have such a long backlog, I'm fairly confident he could make an exact repro. I guess I'll have to call Aero and see what they would be willing to do.

D

Deleted member 16736

John's backlog is almost done. I ordered at the end of December and my jacket is being made over the next 2 weeks. I would say email John and ask him if he'd be interested in doing a version of this jacket. I can tell you that the only person to do justice to this jacket is John. Nobody else will sweat the little details like him. And if he makes this jacket, I'll buy it, because I love the look.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Just to let you know I have a TNO surrogates it's pretty similar to the Californian (even the leather look similar) and my dealings with them went smoothly. Aero is a good choice too, I think the most similar model they have to the Californian would be the 1930's halfbelt. I have one ordered and make them add bi-swing in the back.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Here's my 1930s Aero slim fit HB in heavy veg tanned goatskin:

4976020649_5b75ac89b9_z.jpg

4976370162_e5ecdef474_z.jpg

4975777365_9b0758d276_z.jpg

4976379250_a0e52dd590_z.jpg

Pretty close I would say! Yoke, cuffs and pocket layout can be altered to taste. As you can see it's a close fitting jacket which is a good choice for a slender frame. The 50s HB almost looks indentical but is more generously cut.

FlameoftheWest

New in Town
Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna call and email John Chapman. I'll let everyone know what he says. I just think with his knowledge of the construction of vintage californians he'll be able to nail the way the vintage jackets (Which some think is what was actually worn by Bruce Willis in the Surrogates) drape and distress. And he has so many different hides that just look so vintage to me.

djd

Practically Family
There's been a lot of rubbish talked about it on COW and Filmjackets by a guy who makes up all sorts of fantasy stories. If TNO say they made it I've seen no reason to doubt that. Nice jacket anyhow.

FlameoftheWest

New in Town
I agree that the '30's half belt would be a great base to start with. I just don't know if Aero will be willing to alter their pattern where the jacket has a yoke, and a biswing back. Like I said, I'm going to have to contact them. I just can't ever recall seeing that combo on a jacket on here before.

FlameoftheWest

New in Town
Speed, what hide are you getting it in? I've just recently got an itch for the jacket again, and decided to poke around here and see what everyone on had to offer before I called up the companies.

Jan, I had forgotten how much you jacket looked like the Cali HB. You've had that one for a little while now; how's the heavy goat breaking in?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Man, it's just a half-belt - if Tony Nowak can copy a Californian than so can any half decent manufacturer. I suggest Johnson Leathers. Quick service. Great products. I just got a car coat from them that is very nice.

FlameoftheWest

New in Town
I agree its just a half belt, but just a little different than what we usually see on here. I'm sure many people can copy it, I've just always wanted a horsehide jacket from and Aero and recently Good Wear.

FlameoftheWest

New in Town
Well, PoohBang, I know you have one, since its your pics that I posted. If you can't convince him to make one, I guess I'm SOL. Maybe he's just not interested in making new patterns right now. And I've been trying to find a vintage one to size up or down; not quite the easiest thing to get one's hands on, as I'm sure you know.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner